Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi broken after updates

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
johnbr8

Wifi broken after updates

#1 Post by johnbr8 »

I am running Debian Stable and noticed earlier today some updates had come through and were installed. Then shortly after my wifi could not connect. Otherwise everything has been pretty good and I have been impressed with the amount of refinement now seen in Linux. Are there any easy fixes for this problem.

I don't want to reinstall everything unless I have to and in that case I will be looking to turn off updates. Thanks.

arzgi

Re: Wifi broken after updates

#2 Post by arzgi »

Welcome to the forums!

Stable means it is stable, get's only security updates, which should not break things.

How are you connecting to wifi, network-manager, wpasupplicant or what? Any error message would also be valuable.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Maybe install "inxi" and show us what the output of :

Code: Select all

$ inix -F 

Is, this will give us some details and info on your system, hardware, etc.
This is a rather common problem, and there is a lot of results on fixing it:
Wifi broken after updates on Debian 9

However , it is a good idea to ask here, first before trying some of the things mentioned in the results, the info from inxi is what is needed at this point.

johnbr8

#4 Post by johnbr8 »

Well, after a cold boot wifi is now working. I now think it might be ISP related. Cable connection is OK, although a bit slow, but wifi gets nowhere. I have had a similar issue with my smartphone before not being able to connect by wifi and I think it was related to the ISP throttling back some connections during a maintenance window.

I will post back tomorrow and let you know if it has "self-resolved". Thanks for all your quick responses.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

johnbr8 wrote:wifi is now working (...) wifi gets nowhere.
i think you're going to have to explain this.

so if you still have wifi problems, please post the output requested here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=24

johnbr8

#6 Post by johnbr8 »

debiman wrote:
johnbr8 wrote:wifi is now working (...) wifi gets nowhere.
i think you're going to have to explain this.

Sorry, it shows connected in the Gnome wifi settings, which before it didn't, however it doesn't connect to the ISP unlike when I put the ethernet cable in. Definitely still seems to be an ISP issue as I cannot now connect with smartphone WIFI. I can't do any more troubleshooting now, as I am off to work now.

johnbr8

Re: Wifi broken after updates (solved)

#7 Post by johnbr8 »

Wifi is back to normal without me doing anything - must have been an ISP issue. Thanks for the links on how to gather data for troubleshooting. I have run the commands just for the experience so I can be more helpful next time something like this happens. Cheers.