Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Making newly added screen resolution permanent

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Rat

[Solved] Making newly added screen resolution permanent

#1 Post by Rat »

Hi, I have as monitor a Panasonic TV which is capable of 1368x766 through VGA according to manual. However, my Debian 9.5 install doesn't detect that resolution and gives me an inferior one. I used the commands below to achieve the highest possible resolution:

Code: Select all

xrandr --newmode "1368x766_60.00"  85.64  1368 1440 1584 1800  766 767 770 793  -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA-1 "1368x766_60.00"
xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1368x766_60.00
To keep that resolution permanently, I thought I just add those 3 lines at the end of my ~/.profile file but I see after a reboot, I get again a lower resolution.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? :cry:
Last edited by Rat on 2018-10-16 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Making newly added screen resolution permanent

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Use an Xorg configuration file to make the change permanent:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xr ... esolutions

EDIT: I love your rat! :D

EDIT2: have you installed any non-free firmware that may be required by your graphics card? Failure to detect a valid EDID can be a symptom of missing firmware.
deadbang

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

This video is on YouTube. He changes the resolution and then makes it permanent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScLD8dFNwk

Rat

#4 Post by Rat »

Thanks Head_on_a_Stick and arochester! I hope one of your suggested solutions will work out and mark this thread as solved. I will try as soon as I get home. It's the first time I post a question here and appreciate the faster than expected support :D

PS: It's my pet rat enjoying his butternut squash, he looks better than me so now you know... :wink:

Rat

#5 Post by Rat »

I followed the instructions of the YT video and it worked. Awesome, mark as solved.

THANKS!

cferrarini

Re: Making newly added screen resolution permanent [SOLVED]

#6 Post by cferrarini »

Confirmed works with Debian 12, it is the only solution that worked. You have to create a sh file with your custom resolution, placed mine in /root/custom_res.sh, and edit etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf setting this path in display-setup-script=/root/custom_res.sh uncommenting it removing # also open terminal and do chmod +x custom_res.sh and ls -la custom_res.sh