Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Flash? Linux? Not complete?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Fluenza

Flash? Linux? Not complete?

#1 Post by Fluenza »

I installed the latest version of Flash for Linux. The Adobe version. Is this version not yet fully functional?

I checked out www.blogtv.ca and my Flash plugin doesn't appear to make everything work. Here's a screenshot from my Iceape browser.

See the big part at the bottom of the page? The part that looks like it's some type of chatroom kind of thing? Well, do you see how it doesn't appear to work?

I thought it might be a Java applet or something, so I reinstalled my Java Runtime Environment. Still no dice. I then read the site's FAQ, and it says that I should only need Flash 9. I have that. So I'm thinking that my Flash 9 plugin is not complete or fully functional. One or the other. Does this area work for anyone else? Can you go to the site and give it a try?

If you're not Canadian and you need to enter a postal code for registration, the format for a Canadian postal code is: letter-number-letter space number-letter-number e.g. x5r 8g2
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

A wild guess would be a script which checks if you are using a "compatible" web browser like Internet Explorer; try spoofing the User-Agent. Not sure how you do that in Iceape, but Iceweasel works with this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

Fluenza

#3 Post by Fluenza »

That doesn't seem to work either. Adobe's Flash 9 plugin must be buggy or incomplete.
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

GMouse

#4 Post by GMouse »

I thought that the most recent version of flash out in use is 10, whereas Linux has only 9. So, most things would work, but not those that make use of the changes introduced by 10.
For the sake of proper attribution, my avatar: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40999320/

Fluenza

#5 Post by Fluenza »

Aye, captain. I forgot that there was a world outside of Linux... And that Linux doesn't always get the latest greatest when everyone else does. We didn't even get a Flash 8... Went straight from Seven to Nine. :evil: Should have went straight from Seven to Ten. :lol:

Vergil

#6 Post by Vergil »

GMouse wrote:I thought that the most recent version of flash out in use is 10, whereas Linux has only 9. So, most things would work, but not those that make use of the changes introduced by 10.
Nope, both are 9 according to wikipedia

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

Here you can see the Flash versions for each OS it is ported to: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
It seems like the website you want to view needs Flash 9.0.45 but Linux has Flash 9.0.31 :(