Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

icons remain after files are deleted in MATE/caja

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
GNUser

icons remain after files are deleted in MATE/caja

#1 Post by GNUser »

I've been having this pesky issue where icons of deleted files don't disappear. It happens both on my Desktop as well as in the caja file manager. I notice it on a daily basis, usually when using applications that create short-lived temporary files (e.g., gvim and 7z). If I click on the icon and try to delete it, I get an error message saying the file doesn't exist. The only way to make these "ghost" icons disappear is open up a terminal and type "killall caja", which causes caja to restart itself.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any ideas? I'm on Stretch with MATE 1.16.2 and caja 1.16.6-1+deb9u1

debiman

Re: icons remain after files are deleted in MATE/caja

#2 Post by debiman »

are these files and directories on a local hard drive?

GNUser

#3 Post by GNUser »

Yes.

I discovered that pressing F5 causes caja to refresh, which makes the deleted files' icons disappear. This is a next-best solution short of preventing the icons from lingering in the first place.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I don't use desktop icons, never liked it, never will... widgets, or docks are better alternatives IMNSHO.

I can understand having to refresh the filemanager when something else deletes a file, but why would short-lived files like this appear on the desktop? Are you extracting an archive into a ~/Desktop folder or something?
resigned by AI ChatGPT