Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to setup an external displayport monitor with Debian 9.5

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
xavi.levi

How to setup an external displayport monitor with Debian 9.5

#1 Post by xavi.levi »

I installed Debian 9.5/Stretch on my thinkpad laptop, and tried to connect a Dell monitor with displayport adapter. However, it cannot be detected.

Code: Select all

xrandr
[/b](or

xrandr --auto
[/b]), the monitor still cannot be detected.

Then I suspected it miss drivers, and I installed Nvidia drivers, https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... Stretch.22, Unfortunately, I cannot log onto graphical interface at all.
Finally, I tried to rescue it, and

apt-get purge nvidia.
[/b] at safety mode, but still it failed.

Then I have to reinstall but with Ubuntu 18.04.1, and it can easily detect my displayport monitor.

Does anyone know how to setup on Debian 9.5 anyway?
Last edited by xavi.levi on 2018-10-19 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: How to setup an external displayport monitor with Debian

#2 Post by bw123 »

Well, if you find ubuntu works for you then maybe that is your best solution? If you want to use debian then the correct app is xrandr, not "Xrandr" but maybe meant some thing else?

The forum will help if you want to get debian working, but you need to give people details about your hardware, and start from the beginning. What did you install, and how did you install it?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

xavi.levi

#3 Post by xavi.levi »

My environment is gnome.
I just want to know how to make it work in Debian as well.

HankB

#4 Post by HankB »

xavi.levi wrote:
Does anyone know how to setup on Debian 9.5 anyway?
On every laptop I've tried with an external monitor and Debian it has 'just worked.' This includes a Thinkpad T500 (Displayport to DVI) Lenovo Y50 (HDMI to DVI) older Macbook (mini-Displayport to DVI or HDMI) and Dell XPS 13 (9370, Thunderbolt/USB-C -> HDMI -> DVI) The last is now running Debian Testing.

For all of these when I plugged the monitor in and it just came up. I then right click on the desktop and select "Display" for further configuration. I'm also using the Gnome desktop.

Can you detail your H/W setup including the laptop interface, monitor interface and any adapters?

At least if it comes up with Ubuntu you know that the H/W works.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

xavi.levi wrote:I just want to know how to make it work in Debian as well.
You need to configure Xorg after adding the NVIDIA drivers otherwise the nouveau blacklist will give a blank screen:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... figuration
deadbang