Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I need opinions

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pcmedicjax

I need opinions

#1 Post by pcmedicjax »

I have run Several windows based web servers and mail servers for years. I am venturing out into the world of linux, Mainly for the cost factor. I am running a Debian 9 server with Bind 9 and Apache 2 I need to run email on this server also. I only have my personal domains and a small site I host for my church.Total of 10 domains and 40 email addresses I am looking for opinions on which mail server I should. I only need incoming, outgoing mail and webmail. calendaring is not necessary. I am not running any ecommerce but I will need to secure the mail. I have been burned in the past.

Thanx in advance for your opinions.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I need opinions

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Postfix & Dovecot - excellent docs & plenty of howto’s.
Roundcube for webmail.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

pcmedicjax wrote:I am venturing out into the world of linux, Mainly for the cost factor.
please be aware that Linux works differently.
I don't mean technically (that's obvious), but it's a different paradigm because of its non-commercial nature (*).
shortly: nobody's trying to sell you anything, so some things won't be so "smooth", or "user-friendly".
that doesn't mean you are using buggy software, quite the opposite actually.
in any case, i think you made a good choice with debian stable for a server (so do i).

(*) people have written about this a lot, maybe this is still good: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

pcmedicjax wrote:I have run Several windows based web servers and mail servers for years. I am venturing out into the world of linux, Mainly for the cost factor. I am running a Debian 9 server with Bind 9 and Apache 2 I need to run email on this server also.
An opinion? Well, the cost factor is certainly important; however, although I've never used a Windows server—and never will—I'm sure systems administrations with such a server is done by means of a user-friendly graphical user interface (or GUI), I think that changing to a Linux server, especially a postfix & dovecot server where the initial configuration is done using the command-line interface (or CLI) will involve quite a high time factor; it took me a very long time to learn to configure my own email server. To quote one mailserver guide:
Reason wrote:Building a Linux mailserver from scratch to your own liking is a painful process unless you happen to be one of the few folk who do that day in and day out - there is no way around that fact.[ ...]Unless you know what you are doing the end result will likely be either insecure or otherwise subtly non-functional. Merely not working is perhaps the best of bad outcomes.
Another guide, which I can recommend having used it myself in the past, at workaround.org explains very well what is involved getting a Linux email server up and running.
For a related forum thread, please see jalisco's recent topic
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.