Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

color saturation (digital vibrance) RX550 using AMDGPU

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ShardDBN

color saturation (digital vibrance) RX550 using AMDGPU

#1 Post by ShardDBN »

Hi guys, my PC is used for work (home office) and after having to learn Debian for a cloud webserver for about a year it's impressed me enough that I want to run it on my desktop.

I have a RX550 and literally after three or four extremely late nights of researching, pulling my hair out, researching some more, more hair pulling etc. I cannot work out how to control saturation (digital vibrance for Nvidia users).

I typically tone it down a few notches as default is always way to cartoony. I've been doing this since Win95, so surely this is possible in 2018 on linux?

I've tried Debian stable, testing and as a last resort Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (it crashed within an hour).

I really want to run Debian stable on my desktop but YT videos, images, icons, everything looks cartoony on default.

My monitor unfortunately doesn't have saturation control so that's out.

I can live with the fans not powering down at idle like they do in win 10 (they seem to run slow enough to be near-silent) but this is a deal breaker.

Everything else seems to be running fine so I'm feeling pretty frustrated at this point.

Is there a GUI for AMDGPU settings that I'm missing? Debian stable has a basic one for gamma and color balance (I calib bright/cont through the monitor so that's not a problem), but nothing useful beyond that.

Debian Buster and Ubuntu 18.04 don't appear to provide access to any GPU settings whatsoever (????).

Do I have any options or am I stuck waiting for a settings GUI to be implemented for AMDGPU who knows when?

N.B This is a repost from Reddit, wasn't having much luck there.

bw123

Re: color saturation (digital vibrance) RX550 using AMDGPU

#2 Post by bw123 »

I've been using debian for awhile, and found dozens of ways to tweak the way it views images, vid, etc.. I really feel like I am getting good results, but I had to work at it. Not sure what kind of gui you are looking for? If the problem is with viewing yt video, then I'd look at whatever app you are using to watch them, and how they were made. The thing to do is setup your system correctly to view, or transfer, an image or video the exact way it was originally made. You can't generally improve garbage images, or shitty video quality, you just live with it. Seek out quality material for viewing, since you seem to have a setup where you can tell the difference.

There are a lot of opinions on how to do it. You could start with calibrating your monitor. There are also a crap-ton of tweaks for gamma in several places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_color_management
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#3 Post by ShardDBN »

Thanks for the feedback.

Saturation is reducing the color intensity desktop-wide. You get the same problem with a default windows installation (unless you're not fussy, which I gather most people aren't given the lack of discussion I found on it).

Saturation settings isn't the same as color balance, which is what color calibration addresses. I don't do high-end photo/vid work so I don't need to go as far as color calibrating my monitor, I just want to reduce the default saturation level a few notches.

In Windows this is obviously GUI but I can do it through the terminal, I just haven't been able to work out if it's possible with AMDGPU.

I open up "Radeon software" on the taskbar --> display --> color and there I can adjust saturation. I have it set to 82, I think default is 100.

I'd assume AMDGPU is defaulting to 100 and I'm wanting to change it down.

Settings on an app basis is fiddly and breaks if an app doesn't offer saturation control, which most don't (browser for example). I'm wanting to set the saturation level OS wide. I hope that's a bit clearer.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Well, you can use xrandr to adjust RGB, but some desktops have a GUI front end. Kde plasma in stretch has gamma and rgb on system settings> display and monitors. I don't really know about all the different desktops, or if that still applies if you are using wayland.

If the driver settings panel in windows calls it "saturation" or something, that doesn't mean it will be called the same thing on linux. I'm sure it will be possible for you to get some good results on a device like that.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#5 Post by ShardDBN »

RGB is for color balance, not saturation. I did play around with RGB settings in Stretch and it just changed the color tone.

RGB settings change the tone of color. E.g. what shade of red and/or how much red relative to the other colors.

Saturation changes the intensity of the entire color spectrum. Think of your color settings on your TV. Set it too high and everything looks like a cartoon rainbow. Too low and it goes black and white - that's the setting I'm after in AMDGPU.

I had a look at xrandr and it seems to offer monitor display settings, same as can be found in Debian's options.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

ShardDBN wrote:
Saturation changes the intensity of the entire color spectrum. Think of your color settings on your TV. Set it too high and everything looks like a cartoon rainbow. Too low and it goes black and white - that's the setting I'm after in AMDGPU.
Maybe if you show the forum some (linux) documentation about saturation? If you get this (cartoon rainbow) by default in debian, I'd think it's a bug, or maybe ahardware error?

RX550 isn't very specific, use lspci, or pkg inxi
Maybe if you describe your hardware a little better and some other people can spot something.

good luck
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#8 Post by ShardDBN »

@bw123

It's not so much an error as just the default setting be too colorful (IMO because color is highly subjective). I prefer a more natural look on my screens and have always toned down color saturation a bit.

As to the hardware it's a Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 Gaming OC 2G. I don't think saturation is HW specific in this instance, it'd be handled through AMDGPU regardless of which RX card was being used. At least that's how it is in windows (same GUI settings software).

@Head_on_a_stick

That's RGB related again. Complete color calibration as opposed to a simple numeric saturation value.

Saturation *might* come up in a full color calibration run but I don't have the calibration hardware for that. Shouldn't need to as I can comfortably set saturation by eye using a numeric value.

I'm leaning towards this being an AMD problem unfortunately. Not about to go and buy a new vid card but when the time comes might revisit and see where AMDGPU is at.

Until then looks like I'm stuck on Win10 :(.

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

ShardDBN wrote:

Until then looks like I'm stuck on Win10 :(.
sucks to be you... hope you figure it out.
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-10-20 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#10 Post by ShardDBN »

Yeah. Thanks for the feedback though. Desktop wise I'm a complete Linux noob but good to know there's people willing to help.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

i know what you're talking about because i had that option when i was using the proprietary nvidia driver, and it worked too.
if that applies to your situation also i'd say you need the proprietary amd driver.
if you have questions about that i suggest you provide the output requested.

you should also look closer at color calibration, esp. under gnome, i think it's fairly sophisticated.
you don't necessarily need the tool. preset color profiles for particular monitors exist.

ShardDBN

#12 Post by ShardDBN »

Yeah from what I've seen the proprietary Nvidia driver provides a control panel with saturation option.

I believe the older proprietary AMD driver did once too it but doesn't have support for newer cards (Polaris 12 in this instance).

This is based on what I read on the Debian WIKI:

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

I think I tried installing the AMD driver on their website out of desperation (18.3 or something from memory) on Ubuntu and that didn't have a control panel.

I did go through color calib options in both gnome and KDE I think it was, both needed calib hardware. Not sure if saturation was part of the tuning.

With Buster the system automatically set a color profile for my monitor (AOC i2781fh) so that seems to be covered.

I read on AMD's forum that they might be looking to release a major version end of year with a GUI panel. Not confirmed though.
Last edited by ShardDBN on 2018-10-22 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

even if there isn't a gui for it, it's still possible that this feature is available via command line or configuration files.

i don't know for sure, but it's worth checking out.

bw123

#14 Post by bw123 »

I searched a little on it today. It seems nvidia has 'digital vibrance' and amdgpu has 'saturation' settings and people are debating which is better and how to do either/or on each.

It's not just an RGB setting. Apparently it gets the driver to enhance ( or degrade?) only the dominant color. Pretty interesting...
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#15 Post by ShardDBN »

debiman wrote:even if there isn't a gui for it, it's still possible that this feature is available via command line or configuration files.
Possible yes but that's pushing my knowledge as a linux desktop noob :). I wouldn't even know where to start trying to suss out the saturation command from terminal.

As part of my research I did look for documentation/discussion of AMDGPU terminal settings config but other than what's already been discussed didn't turn up anything pertaining to saturation.

From the AMD forums I got the sense AMD hadn't really given us much to control yet via terminal. That's apparently coming at some point.

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

i don't quite understand why AMD's proprietary driver would not have a GUI thingy to adjust that.
are you sure you installed the right one? i believe the full-featured suite is called catalyst.
in addition to the debian wiki, have a look at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Amd
ShardDBN wrote:I wouldn't even know where to start trying to suss out the saturation command from terminal.
  • figure out which packages pertaining to the problem are installed
  • for each package, perform a 'dpkg -L package'
  • in the output, look for documentation
  • read

ShardDBN

#17 Post by ShardDBN »

Thanks for the tip on the driver config. I'll give it a go at some point.

ATI/Radeon is an older driver for older AMD cards. AFAIK RTX (polaris chipset) is not supported.

I believe the older drivers had GUI settings. This has yet to be released on the newer drivers (AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO).

AMD are releasing incremental updates to the drivers on their website but no settings yet. The last update was four days ago and included some SUSE related stuff (thankfully they provide patch notes).

I also have no idea why you'd release GPU drivers with little to no settings for the end-user to configure.

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

ShardDBN wrote:ATI/Radeon is an older driver for older AMD cards. AFAIK RTX (polaris chipset) is not supported.
shouldn't you be using a newer driver then?
is polaris new or old? how new, how old?
which driver ARE you using atm, FOSS or proprietary closed source? which version?

bw123

#19 Post by bw123 »

ShardDBN wrote:Thanks for the tip on the driver config. I'll give it a go at some point.

ATI/Radeon is an older driver for older AMD cards. AFAIK RTX (polaris chipset) is not supported.

I believe the older drivers had GUI settings. This has yet to be released on the newer drivers (AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO).

AMD are releasing incremental updates to the drivers on their website but no settings yet. The last update was four days ago and included some SUSE related stuff (thankfully they provide patch notes).

I also have no idea why you'd release GPU drivers with little to no settings for the end-user to configure.
I sure don't know either, but I know that graphics hardware is a very competitive business.
I'm glad that amdgpu is available as open source. Have you considered that maybe some of AMD's feature set can't be implemented on linux because it would reveal proprietary technology in the hardware?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#20 Post by ShardDBN »

@debiman

For Debian I tried both stable and testing. Both used different version of AMDGPU. Out of desperation I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I believe that also had a version of AMDGPU.

I also wound up installing the latest driver from the AMD website at one point to see if that had settings control (it didn't).

I was responding to the old Radeon (ATI) driver providing a settings GUI. My card (not cutting edge new but new enough) isn't supported by the older proprietary Radeon (ATI) driver.

@bw123

Could be but then why don't they just say that.

This saturation issue is literally the only thing stopping me from switching over. I can't recall the specific link but there is chatter of a settings GUI coming at some point (was on the AMD forums somewhere from memory).

I'll probably give it till whenever Nvidia release their lower-specced new gen cards (hopefully within 6 months). If AMD hasn't got their act together I'll be jumping ship as I know the Nvidia proprietary driver provides saturation control settings.