Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

color saturation (digital vibrance) RX550 using AMDGPU

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bw123

Re: color saturation (digital vibrance) RX550 using AMDGPU

#21 Post by bw123 »

I think using proprietary solutions for graphics on linux is kind of like wearing a raincoat in the shower. I mean, WhY!? If you want to run windows, just install it and run it. Why should linux try and imitate that model?

At leaST amdgpu is making an effort at open source, unlike nvidia. I can't really support proprietary software, because one of the reasons I use debian is because I want to support free (as in free beer, a band and hot waitresses + source code) software.

I think in the long run, it would not be advisabe to depend on either vendor to provide long-term solutions on linux.

It might be better to depend on and support the free implementations of the respective drivers. Oh wait, nvidia doesn't have one.. do they?
... why don't they just say that.
I'm not a lawyer, but the way I understand it, every corporation has a primary duty to their shareholders, not to the users of their product. There is no guarantee that any product is usable except on the os it is designed for. That ain't linux.
...My card (not cutting edge new but new enough) isn't supported by the older proprietary Radeon (ATI) driver.
Exactly. Let that sink in.
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-10-28 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#22 Post by ShardDBN »

Totally on board with the non-proprietary sentiment.

But if it means running a non-proprietary system except for a graphics driver so my display doesn't look like a cartoon show - I can live with that.

I've been adjusting down color saturation via drivers since win95. AMD has dropped the ball with their their implementation of AMDGPU from a quality user experience perspective.

bw123

#23 Post by bw123 »

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm (try Problem #7: That FOSS thing.)

Once again, I suggested that if your graphics look like a cartoon show on free amdgpu, that would be a bug. So if you want help with that, some hardware details and system info would be the way to get help.,. Your agenda seems to be about something else?

You've made several posts in the thread, but not shown hardware detected by lspci, or confirmed that you have installed the necessary firmware for amd-graphics. You don't really seem willing to answer any questions, you seem hell bent that the only solution to your cartoon problem is a slider to adjust "saturation" like win10 has. That's really closed-minded IMNSHO.

I did enjoy the exchange, because I am a radeon, ATI, and amd cpu supporter and user from way back, and I really admire their effort to develop an open source solution for this really old problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMDGPU
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#24 Post by ShardDBN »

It's not a bug. The default color saturation in AMDGPU is too high for my liking.

I get the same thing in windows and have to turn it down. Ditto if I'm using an Nvidia card.

It's not a hardware detection problem (AMDGPU installs fine and I did check that my card was registering as an RX550 (forget what cmd I used in terminal but it clearly came up as AMD RX550)).

It's not a firmware problem (I installed the required linux-firmware package).

You have to understand I'm not running linux on this box. To boot back into linux I'm disconnecting my windows/work hdds and connecting the drive I've got Debian installed on (all internal drives). That's a process.

I went back and forth over 3/4 days doing that between research and trying to suss out why there were no AMD settings, and then came here.

If you've ever adjusted color saturation at a GPU level over the last 20 years you'd realize this is basic functionality that any GPU driver should have (and typically does have).

I obviously get linux isn't windows but this is a GPU driver problem and failing to provide basic settings to the end-user is on AMD.

If you're currently using a vid card on AMDGPU, do you have access to color saturation settings? I'm all ears if you do because I'd like nothing more than to ditch windows.

If you want to get defensive about it, I think we've reached the limit of a constructive discussion.

ShardDBN

#25 Post by ShardDBN »

Here's someone asking for AMD GPU settings back in late 2016:

https://community.amd.com/thread/205212

Here again is an official AMD rep confirming no GUI settings (or any settings at all) in Feb 2017 - and again in April 2018:

https://community.amd.com/thread/212277

Someone asking specifically about color saturation in mid 2017:

https://community.amd.com/thread/217103

You going to insist that's not sloppy from AMD?

bw123

#26 Post by bw123 »

What does any of it have to do with debian? This is a debian support forum. It's not bitch about AMD forum. If you think 2016 or 2017 is a long time to wait, then you on the wrong os. Linux is pretty slow development, sometimes people spend years reverse engineering this stuff, just to get it to work and by then it is obsolete.
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-10-28 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ShardDBN

#27 Post by ShardDBN »

I give up. Thanks for your help.

debiman

#28 Post by debiman »

ShardDBN wrote:@debiman

For Debian I tried both stable and testing. Both used different version of AMDGPU. Out of desperation I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I believe that also had a version of AMDGPU.

I also wound up installing the latest driver from the AMD website at one point to see if that had settings control (it didn't).

I was responding to the old Radeon (ATI) driver providing a settings GUI. My card (not cutting edge new but new enough) isn't supported by the older proprietary Radeon (ATI) driver.

@bw123

Could be but then why don't they just say that.

This saturation issue is literally the only thing stopping me from switching over. I can't recall the specific link but there is chatter of a settings GUI coming at some point (was on the AMD forums somewhere from memory).

I'll probably give it till whenever Nvidia release their lower-specced new gen cards (hopefully within 6 months). If AMD hasn't got their act together I'll be jumping ship as I know the Nvidia proprietary driver provides saturation control settings.
your inability to provide hard information (i'm sorry if this sounds like an insult; it isn't, really just stating the facts here, and it's nothing to be ashamed of) even after several requests tells me you should probably leave well enough alone.
in case you "messed things up", re-install - preferably something that already comes with some non-free stuff.
debian itself also offers this, but you might be happier with *buntu (and that isn't an insult either).

ShardDBN

#29 Post by ShardDBN »

No offense taken. Not providing the requested information is on me, apologies.

I just realized I can run the requested cmds via a live USB stick so I've gone and run that (cinnamon).

Here's the output for "lspci":
26:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Lexa PRO [Radeon RX 550/550X] (rev c7)
When I run "inxi";
CPU: 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 1377/1550/3000 MHz Kernel: 4.18.0-2-amd64 x86_64 Up: 12m
Mem: 1688.7/16040.3 MiB (10.5%) Storage: 1.14 TiB (0.2% used) Procs: 303 Shell: bash 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.27
dpkg -L xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu returns:

/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/xorg
/usr/lib/xorg/modules
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amdgpu_drv.so
/usr/share
/usr/share/X11
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf
/usr/share/bug
/usr/share/bug/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/changelog.Debian.amd64.gz
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/copyright
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man4
/usr/share/man/man4/amdgpu.4.gz
/usr/share/bug/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/script
I think that was what was requested. Does it help any?

smoki

#30 Post by smoki »

ShardDBN wrote:
ATI/Radeon is an older driver for older AMD cards. AFAIK RTX (polaris chipset) is not supported.

I believe the older drivers had GUI settings. This has yet to be released on the newer drivers (AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO).

Yeah, they don't have this anymore with amdgpu/-pro, here is how that looks with Catalyst (fglrx)

This is from GCN 1.1 APU, Polarises are not supported by this driver.

So no idea... maybe, i guess you can try to do something there via ddccontrol tool:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/gddccontrol

This probably just reads monitor's ddc and expose settings if available, so saturation might appear for you or might not... can't guess there :lol:

smoki

#31 Post by smoki »

debiman wrote:i don't quite understand why AMD's proprietary driver would not have a GUI thingy to adjust that.
Because they were rewritting DAL2 to DAL3 now called DC (on Linux) for about 3 years, but still does not have these features they had before on Linux. These are basically, various techinques to control and adjust display/s / connectors, etc...

Opensource drivers never had these, so probably no one noticing it. But many times these features are essential to have and are better to be inside driver, especially if your monitor is a bit off or defaults to something wrong, as every kind of crappy things happen with different monitors/displays/connectors in reality ... or even if just user eyes like something more, depending also on a room lighting or whatever... so could be more subjective than objective. It is not a must have most of the time, but still it is nicer if you have this.

See for example how that goes in reality, this guy with AMD RX560 (so also Polaris) wanna change output signal because his monitor is like that and defaults to some crap he doesn't like :lol: Before in Catalyst changing color outputs worked (that is also DAL feature and Catalyst had strong and smart DAL2 to deal with all kind of craps), but now with AMDGPU it does not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCg95DqOZaY

And of course he must switch to nvidia or whatever that works as otherwise monitor is unusable to watch, as you can't look at it :D

ShardDBN

#32 Post by ShardDBN »

Hah! That guy staying awake till 3AM trying to get it going. That sounds like my first new nights a few weeks back (was up till all hours three nights in a row).

My OP was basically his video equivalent :D

Thanks for the suggestion to use gddccontrol. I've installed it on the usb live version and it's coming up:
No monitor supporting DDC/CI available.

If your graphics card need it, please check all the required kernel modules are loaded (i2c-dev, and your framebuffer driver).
I installed libic2-dev but get the same message. Guessing my monitor doesn't support it.

smoki

#33 Post by smoki »

Might be whatever, app bug or might be that even monitor have disabled DDC/CI (maybe your monitor have this to enable/disable maybe not)

You have also, this ddcutil:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/ddcutil

Idea there is because you said:
My monitor unfortunately doesn't have saturation control so that's out.
You might still could control color saturation actually, via these tools if let say is just not exposed on your monitor OSD, etc...

Or you might check on Windows this via softmccs:

https://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

Whatever, don't believe to these tools 100% on what they are reporting :D i don't have classic 1 way rgb color hue/saturation, but i have '6 axis color saturation/hue control' via OSD but still here they are reporting as i don't have it :D
~$: ddcutil getvcp color
VCP code 0x0b (Color temperature increment ): 100 degree(s) Kelvin
VCP code 0x0c (Color temperature request ): 3000 + 35 * (feature 0B color temp increment) degree(s) Kelvin
VCP code 0x10 (Brightness ): current value = 34, max value = 100
VCP code 0x11 (Flesh tone enhancement ): mh=0x00, ml=0x00, sh=0x00, sl=0x00
VCP code 0x12 (Contrast ): current value = 98, max value = 100
VCP code 0x13 (Backlight control ): mh=0x00, ml=0x00, sh=0x00, sl=0x00
VCP code 0x14 (Select color preset ): User 1 (sl=0x0b)
VCP code 0x16 (Video gain: Red ): current value = 34, max value = 100
VCP code 0x17 (User color vision compensation): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x18 (Video gain: Green ): current value = 34, max value = 100
VCP code 0x1a (Video gain: Blue ): current value = 25, max value = 100
VCP code 0x1f (Auto color setup ): Auto setup not active (sl=0x00)
VCP code 0x2e (Gray scale expansion ): mh=0x00, ml=0x00, sh=0x00, sl=0x00
VCP code 0x59 (6 axis saturation: Red ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x5a (6 axis saturation: Yellow ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x5b (6 axis saturation: Green ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x5c (6 axis saturation: Cyan ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x5d (6 axis saturation: Blue ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x5e (6 axis saturation: Magenta ): current value = 0, max value = 0

VCP code 0x6b (Backlight Level: White ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x6c (Video black level: Red ): current value = 100, max value = 100
VCP code 0x6d (Backlight Level: Red ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x6e (Video black level: Green ): current value = 100, max value = 100
VCP code 0x6f (Backlight Level: Green ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x70 (Video black level: Blue ): current value = 100, max value = 100
VCP code 0x71 (Backlight Level: Blue ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x72 (Gamma ): SL: 0x00 , SH: 0x00
VCP code 0x8a (Color Saturation ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x90 (Hue ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x9b (6 axis hue control: Red ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x9c (6 axis hue control: Yellow ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x9d (6 axis hue control: Green ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x9e (6 axis hue control: Cyan ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0x9f (6 axis hue control: Blue ): current value = 0, max value = 0
VCP code 0xa0 (6 axis hue control: Magenta ): current value = 0, max value = 0

ShardDBN

#34 Post by ShardDBN »

After roughly a year and a half, I finally worked out a solution for this (no thanks to AMD, who still don't provide the option in their driver).

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ce_on_any/

Hope that helps anyone coming across this looking for answers.