Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SSH (Internet)[SOLVED]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
xedoc

SSH (Internet)[SOLVED]

#1 Post by xedoc »

Hi,

I'm having some issues with SSH.

I am able to use it very well over the lan after i allowed Port 22 in the firewall and remote login in settings - sharing(Gnome), however i cant connect to it with my public address(https://www.whatismyip.com). I don't really know or understand what i am missing, the response i get from the terminal is "Connection refused". I didn't change any config files, everything is by default. My understanding in network is very poor but i assume i should get a different public ipv4 for each machine, however when i connect to the website i see that my Arch and my Debian have the same public ipv4 ?

Am i missing something ?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by xedoc on 2018-11-02 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SSH (Internet)

#2 Post by p.H »

Your machines and LAN have private IP addresses (192.168, 172.16-31, 10 ranges) and the router does NAT. The public IP address belongs to the router. It appears that the router does not listen nor forward SSH connections.

xedoc

Re: SSH (Internet)

#3 Post by xedoc »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it didnt, not by default at least. I was able to create a new rule in NAT/PAT to forward the connection from a specific port.

Now i just need to do ssh publicaddress -p port and that's it.

Thank you for your help.