Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD driver stuff

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
J V

AMD driver stuff

#1 Post by J V »

Hi guys. It's been years since I needed advice or help with something graphics related, but it's also the first time in my life that I'm using an AMD gpu. (I'd heard the drivers were better. They are.)

So I have a few questions/issues/etcetera I'm just going to list out here.

Software
I'm running on xfce 4.12, with kernel 4.18 in debian unstable. I think I'm using mesa, but I'm a total noob when it comes to AMD so I couldn't swear on it. Compositing works since I have translucent windows, and GL works too. I can play games, but the performance isn't much better than before when eyeballing it. Unfortunately, I can't check my GPU's performance compared to my old card, because glxgears is locked to the refresh rate. (It wasn't under nvidia)

Code: Select all

$ xfce4-about -V
xfce4-about 4.12.1 (Xfce 4.12)

Copyright (c) 2008-2015
	The Xfce development team. All rights reserved.

Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.
Translators list from 2015-03-15 16:44:46.
$ uname -a
Linux xxxxxxx 4.18.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.18.10-2 (2018-10-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Control panel
There isn't one. Things are working better out of the box than nvidia did with tweaking, but I'd still like to tweak things if I can. If there isn't a control panel, is there a reference of options for xorg.conf or something?

Tearing Fixed by head on a stick here
One of the biggest advantages of AMD was supposed to be no tearing. I'm getting tearing. On nvidia there was an option buried in the control panel to 'Force full composition pipeline' which did the trick nicely. (Even if you did have to turn it on manually every time you booted/woke your machine) Is there a way to fix the tearing in AMD, or does that only work under wayland? (I'd rather not leave xfce if possible)

Freesync
I have a freesync compatible monitor and card, but no freesync in `xrandr --prop` which the amd website says is where to check. Of course, if I can't fix the tearing, freesync isn't going to be worth much to begin with.

Refresh rate
Displayport 1.2 is supposed to go up to 144hz at 1440p, but I can only go up to 120hz (Or 144hz at 1080) It's a vega 64 and I've heard of people using them 144@1440 but I don't know why I don't have that option

Thanks for reading, I hope someone can answer!
Last edited by J V on 2018-10-29 20:48, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: AMD driver stuff

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

J V wrote:Tearing
I think the amdgpu driver has a TearFree option, have you tried that?

Compositors can mask tearing but XFCE's version is rubbish (IMO) so perhaps try compton instead. Or GNOME.

EDIT: have you installed the non-free firmware that you need?
deadbang

J V

#3 Post by J V »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
J V wrote:Tearing
I think the amdgpu driver has a TearFree option, have you tried that?

Compositors can mask tearing but XFCE's version is rubbish (IMO) so perhaps try compton instead. Or GNOME.

EDIT: have you installed the non-free firmware that you need?
I haven't tried the tearfree option, because I literally just installed this GPU a few hours ago and don't know how to set AMD options. I've rescued botched nvidia drivers a dozen times, but I'm really a complete beginner for anything amd.

A quick google shows an article on archwiki about an xorg TearFree option. Is there a mesa version of nvidia-xconfig? I've never built an xorg.conf from the ground up myself, so I don't know what it should look like.

I also haven't installed any firmware (To my knowledge) - is there a specific package I'm looking for? "firmware-amd-graphics is already the newest version" if that's the one I need
Last edited by J V on 2018-10-29 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

J V wrote:I've never built an xorg.conf from the ground up myself, so I don't know what it should look like.
Here's my Intel version:

empty@buster:~ $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf                            
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Intel Graphics"
        Driver "intel"
        Option "TearFree" "yes"
EndSection
empty@buster:~ $
So try that and substitute in "AMD Graphics" & "amdgpu", that might work :)

EDIT: firmware-amd-graphics is the one you need, I think.
deadbang

J V

#5 Post by J V »

Woo hoo! That actually worked first try! Tearing is fixed now thanks!

Now I just have to get freesync and full refresh rate working. Trying to enable it left me with this:

$ xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --set "freesync" 1
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  11 (RRQueryOutputProperty)
  Serial number of failed request:  43
  Current serial number in output stream:  43

milomak

#6 Post by milomak »

ou of interest where did you most experience tearing?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

cronoik

#7 Post by cronoik »

J V wrote:I'm using an AMD gpu.
Which one?
J V wrote: is there a specific package I'm looking for? "firmware-amd-graphics is already the newest version" if that's the one I need
That's fine.
Have a nice day!

J V

#8 Post by J V »

milomak wrote:ou of interest where did you most experience tearing?
I have a specific video file I use with a horizontal scroll - it tears up a storm when tearfree/composite pipeline isn't on.
cronoik wrote:Which one?
A sapphire nitro+ Vega 64. :D

fender0107401

#9 Post by fender0107401 »

I really hope someone can run AMD GPU with a 4K screen under a Linux desktop system.

milomak

#10 Post by milomak »

fender0107401 wrote:I really hope someone can run AMD GPU with a 4K screen under a Linux desktop system.
i'm running the amdgpu driver on a late-2015 imac 27" 5k retina
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid