Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Audio problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
general portion

[SOLVED] Audio problems

#1 Post by general portion »

I updated alot of packages and now no sound is working. Pulseaudio is just showing a dummy output and no input. I have tried alot of troubleshooting steps but nothing have been working, here I am 4 hours later and frustrated making this post. I've tried to reinstall alsa and pulseaudio several times. Here's some info I think would help anyone kind enough to take a look into this problem of mine.

aplay -l

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
ALSA lib conf.c:3639:(config_file_open) cannot access file /etc/alsa/conf.d/10-rate-lav.conf
ALSA lib conf.c:3559:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4013:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
aplay: device_list:281: control open (0): No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3639:(config_file_open) cannot access file /etc/alsa/conf.d/10-rate-lav.conf
ALSA lib conf.c:3559:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: No such file or directory
aplay: device_list:281: control open (1): No such file or directory
aplay: device_list:281: control open (2): No such file or directory
inxi -Fxz (if there is any other field that would be of any help please tell me and I will provide the full output)

System:    Host: lmao Kernel: 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 Desktop: i3 4.15.0.1-143-gfcdf8d30 
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio [Radeon R9 290/290X / 390/390X] vendor: ASUSTeK 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Device-3: Yamaha type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio bus ID: 3-9.1:7 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 
ls -l /dev/snd/

total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       60 Nov  3  2018 by-id
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      100 Nov  3  2018 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 14 Nov  3  2018 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  2 Nov  3  2018 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  6 Nov  3  2018 controlC2
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 18 Nov  3  2018 hwC0D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 13 Nov  3  2018 hwC2D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  5 Nov  3  2018 midiC1D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 16 Nov  3  2018 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 15 Nov  3  2018 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 17 Nov  3  2018 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 Nov  3  2018 pcmC1D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  3 Nov  3  2018 pcmC1D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 11 Nov  3  2018 pcmC2D10p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 12 Nov  3  2018 pcmC2D11p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  7 Nov  3  2018 pcmC2D3p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  8 Nov  3  2018 pcmC2D7p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  9 Nov  3  2018 pcmC2D8p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 Nov  3  2018 pcmC2D9p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  1 Nov  3  2018 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Nov  3  2018 timer
amixer

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
some groups of interest:

audio:x:29:pulse,ayy,root
pulse:x:114:ayy,root
pulse-access:x:115:ayy,root
Last edited by general portion on 2018-11-03 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Audio problems

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

As you appear to be running testing/unstable booted with a backported kernel I think you should probably read this:

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

EDIT: and maybe search the boards before posting?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138976
deadbang

general portion

#3 Post by general portion »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:As you appear to be running testing/unstable booted with a backported kernel I think you should probably read this:

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

EDIT: and maybe search the boards before posting?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138976
Damn, thanks for the link to the other issue.
I've honestly spent the last 4 hours searching for this issue but found nothing of any use, but

sudo mv /etc/alsa/conf.d{,_bak} 
did the trick. Thanks for helping me find the solution.
About the backported kernel on testing/unstable, I initially didn't use testing/unstable but I wanted a newer version of a few packages so I added the unstable sources to apt list without even thinking about changing the kernel. I will certainly look into fixing this next.

Thanks again.

EDIT: IT seems that I've made a "FrankenDebian", is there any way to fix it without reinstalling the OS?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

general portion wrote: EDIT: IT seems that I've made a "FrankenDebian", is there any way to fix it without reinstalling the OS?
I have faith! I keep saying on here...I hope you try! Fixing leads to solutions, or not. A fresh install only gets you back to where you already were.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

CwF wrote:...I hope you try! Fixing leads to solutions, or not. A fresh install only gets you back to where you already were.
Agreed.

A reminder: it is one thing to grab a particular package from another source. It is something else and a big mistake to leave that source open. Doing so means that every apt-get upgrade can bring in unmanageable problems.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

general portion wrote:IT seems that I've made a "FrankenDebian", is there any way to fix it without reinstalling the OS?
There may be a way to "fix it" but why take the risk?

Re-installing is easy as pie and it's not like you've spent much time configuring stuff, right?

If you do want to try a recovery you could follow this guide:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... owngrading

In your case you need to make sure all of your sources point to stable before pinning that repository to 1010 and dist-upgrading.

If that all goes through you can check your package list origins with

# apt install apt-show-versions
apt-show-versions | grep /buster
But perhaps I should defer to @CwF's vast experience in this subject — I've never created a FrankenDebian so I don't know how to fix them...
deadbang

general portion

#7 Post by general portion »

CwF wrote:
general portion wrote: EDIT: IT seems that I've made a "FrankenDebian", is there any way to fix it without reinstalling the OS?
I have faith! I keep saying on here...I hope you try! Fixing leads to solutions, or not. A fresh install only gets you back to where you already were.
Thanks for the motivating words, I will do my best not to "break" my install more than I've apparently already done.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
general portion wrote:IT seems that I've made a "FrankenDebian", is there any way to fix it without reinstalling the OS?
There may be a way to "fix it" but why take the risk?

Re-installing is easy as pie and it's not like you've spent much time configuring stuff, right?

If you do want to try a recovery you could follow this guide:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... owngrading
I've spent quite a lot of time configuring everything to work, feel and look the way I want it to. I've saved all the dot-files to a private git repo so a fresh install would only take about a full afternoon for me, but I'm hoping my system does not break again in any serious manor so I don't have to do a fresh install. Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it.