Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Media Players are acting up in odd ways [SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rvs314

Media Players are acting up in odd ways [SOLVED]

#1 Post by rvs314 »

I'm very new to linux (especially linux audio - which is something complex in and of itself as I understand it), and I'm having an issue with some media players. Some media-playing applications work flawlessly. Things like VLC, Firefox and most other apps will play audio just fine, except for a few commandline music players that I've been attempting to work out. An example of this is the MOC player, a command-line mp3 player that I had been using for quite a while. I had to force-shut it down after it glitched out, and now certain music players no longer work for me. When I try to run MOC now, I get the following output:

Code: Select all

Running the server...
Trying JACK...
Trying ALSA...
Trying OSS...

FATAL_ERROR: No valid sound driver!

FATAL_ERROR: Server exited!
Background info:

I'm using pulseaudio on top of alsa right now. I'm running Debian sid and pulseaudio 12.2. My audio runs from my Graphics Card's HDMI cable to my monitor, where I have my sound system set up. Any information you can provide would be totally useful.
Last edited by rvs314 on 2018-11-08 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Media Players are acting up in odd ways

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

rvs314 wrote:I'm very new to linux
rvs314 wrote:I'm running Debian sid
That is probably a poor choice then - you should be familiar with the way the system works and have a very good grasp of package management for sid not to be a painful experience.

Start with what has changed recently and investigate from there.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

This might be one of those cases where sid is broken. There was a problem with libasound2-plugins 1.1.7-1 which is now fixed in libasound2-plugins 1.1.7-2. An upgrade could have broken it but another upgrade could fix it.

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=7422.0
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=912721
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Beginners and Sid go together like fried fish dipped in chocolate.
MX Linux packager and developer

rvs314

#5 Post by rvs314 »

A few things:

1) I am not totally helpless when operating a linux machine. I probably shouldn't have written that I'm very new (I've been using linux for about a year), but I've never considered myself an expert as I haven't any proper training. I'm just a hobbyist who doesn't want to get yelled at for saying I know something I don't. I understand the risks that come with using sid, so please don't write me off as a gradeschooler whining because he got his $12,000 RC car broken.

2) I saw the problem with libasound2 and am on the latest version (1.1.7-2), which I don't think has helped anything. The error they have isn't the one I'm getting, as 'alsamixer' runs fine on my machine.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

rvs314 wrote:

Running the server...
Trying JACK...
Trying ALSA...
Trying OSS...

FATAL_ERROR: No valid sound driver!

FATAL_ERROR: Server exited!
Background info:

I'm using pulseaudio on top of alsa right now.
this is normal and expected.
MOC does not automatically detect pulseaudio.
workarounds exist; i think one would use some sort of wrapper, but don't know how exactly. iirc. it went via OSS - maybe pulseaduio has an OSS plugin.
sorry i can't be more precise; i do use moc, but i don't use pulseaudio.

as for the other problems you are experiencing, i think you need to provide more info.

rvs314

#7 Post by rvs314 »

Thank you, that was my issue.

I was able to find a quick patch to this problem on this forum thread here: https://moc.daper.net/node/360. You should be able to work around it by calling mocp with the padsp command, like this:

padsp mocp

debiman

Re: Media Players are acting up in odd ways [SOLVED]

#8 Post by debiman »

^ what i said. glad i remembered it correctly; apparently my brain is not completely fried yet. :D

padsp is part of the pulseaudio-utils package.