Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GnuPG password very often gets not accepted

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

GnuPG password very often gets not accepted

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I have encountered a rather odd problem on Debain 9 since a few weeks now. Very often I need to re-type my GnuPG passphrase several times before it gets accepted. Yesterday it got so bad that I first tried to switch to an other password, which didn't get accepted. Then after an hour of unsuccessful repeats I finally decided to delete my keys and import it again from my backup. This solved the problem right away. But this morning I have the old issue again that I need to type the pass phrase often several times before it gets accepted. (So even if it is not as bad as yesterday, I fear it will get worse again.)

Originally I blamed my keyboard but after checking if I get the right chars I can't see any confirmation. I tried to use the command line too, but there it was the same. So I have the impression it is not an issue of Seahorse. (And I'm very sure that I don't mistype the phrase this often since I have exercised it a lot.)

Did any of you ever encounter something like that? And does anyone have an idea how to solve it?

bw123

Re: GnuPG password very often gets not accepted

#2 Post by bw123 »

No, I never used seahorse/gnome but I do know that gnupg can be picky about permissions... so if you have edited/added anything (~/.gnupg?) as root that would be a clue?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Onsemeliot

#3 Post by Onsemeliot »

bw123 wrote:gnupg can be picky about permissions... so if you have edited/added anything (~/.gnupg?) as root that would be a clue?
Thanks for your thought. I can't think of anything I altered ... And could that even lead to this odd behaviour that it accepts the pass phrase after some attempts? Shouldn't the issue be permanent if it was access rights?

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Well, you don't have to remember, you could check the permissions really quick. If that's not it, then I'd look for errors in the log files. Maybe some pinentry or agent isn't getting started correctly.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Onsemeliot

#5 Post by Onsemeliot »

Sorry, I forgot about this entry. The access rights in the .gnupg folder are fine. I didn't check the log files yet but after re-importing my private keys it does work better again. It's not perfect since I sometimes have to type the pass phrase several times before it gets accepted but it is not too bad. It's manageable.