Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disabled swap Trigger freq. HD Thrashing (retitled)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debiman

Re: Disabled swap Trigger freq. HD Thrashing (retitled)

#21 Post by debiman »

scruffyeagle wrote:I've never needed to install gksu. It's been a standard command in every Linux OS I've ever worked with. I find it very strange...
things change.
i seem to remember there were discussions concerning gksu, gksudo, and su on debian.
search the forums: http://forums.debian.net/search.php?keywords=gksu

bw123

#22 Post by bw123 »

It's been pointed out several times that when you don't set a root pw in installer, you can't become root, hence no su, therefore no gksu?
...Note, that I chose to not set a root password, intending to rely on su & gksu when I need root permissions.
---
not a good plan, disabled root account when you installed.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

scruffyeagle

#23 Post by scruffyeagle »

I figured out my gksu problem. It was deprecated - which means, it was dropped from the core set of system programs. Now, it must be downloaded separately, deliberately. The contents of the following page was what helped me figure this out.
http://www.nongnu.org/gksu/

I was able to find gksu in the Debian v9.5 repository, I've dl'd it & tested it, and it seems to function just like the program that was deprecated.
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.