Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Systemdisk/OS disk almost full

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
SonOfThor

Systemdisk/OS disk almost full

#1 Post by SonOfThor »

I have a problem to locate what is filling up my space on my OS disk (rootfs if this is the more proper terminology). I am no Linux expert, frankly a novice in Linux.
I believe that the problem started with a a container in Docker not properly set up - hence it started to store files to the OS disk not to the proper mount point - the disk filled up almost 100%.
I deleted the file(s) and thought everything was ok. This did not free up space. I decided to uninstall all containers and included also Docker. This did not solve the problem with the space.
To ensure I have enough space I have re-sized the partition. Now I have more space, but the "ghost" files are still stealing my space on the disk.
My rootfs is on an SSD disk.
I am using OpenMediaVault (OMV), based on Debian. I have addressed the issue in the OMV forum - but so far not being able to solve the storage issue. As a consequence I am bringing the issue here to ask if anyone would be so kind as to point me what to try in order to figure this out. I have spent a few weeks searching google and various forums, and have almost given up.

This is what I have done so far:

Code: Select all

root@OMV:/# df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdg1        91G   49G   38G  57% /
From df it seems I am using 49 GB of disk space. This is also reported to OMV GUI.

root@OMV:/# du -xh --max-depth=1
3.7G    ./var
4.0K    ./lib64
5.4G    ./home
8.0K    ./media
936M    ./usr
4.0K    ./sharedfolders
7.3M    ./etc
4.0K    ./mnt
40K     ./root
13M     ./bin
4.0K    ./opt
4.0K    ./export
15M     ./sbin
12K     ./srv
950M    ./lib
16K     ./lost+found
131M    ./boot
12G     .
I am OK with the ~ 12 GB size on the drive, but df tells me that it is 49GB used on the drive ...?

root@OMV:/# ncdu -x

5.4 GiB [##########] /home
    3.6 GiB [######    ] /var
  949.5 MiB [#         ] /lib
  935.1 MiB [#         ] /usr
  130.7 MiB [          ] /boot
   14.0 MiB [          ] /sbin
   12.6 MiB [          ] /bin
    7.3 MiB [          ] /etc
   40.0 KiB [          ] /root
e  16.0 KiB [          ] /lost+found
   12.0 KiB [          ] /srv
    8.0 KiB [          ] /media
    4.0 KiB [          ] /lib64
    4.0 KiB [          ] /sharedfolders
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /opt
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /mnt
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /export
@   0.0   B [          ]  initrd.img.old
@   0.0   B [          ]  initrd.img
@   0.0   B [          ]  vmlinuz.old
@   0.0   B [          ]  vmlinuz
>   0.0   B [          ] /tmp
>   0.0   B [          ] /sys
>   0.0   B [          ] /run
>   0.0   B [          ] /proc
>   0.0   B [          ] /dev
Checked also with ncdu which gives me the "same" picture as that of du.

root@OMV:/# lsof +L1
COMMAND     PID                  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NLINK  NODE NAME
php-fpm7.  1412                  root    3u   REG   0,40        0     0 35254 /tmp/.ZendSem.e6bLh3 (deleted)
php-fpm7.  6530              www-data    3u   REG   0,40        0     0 35254 /tmp/.ZendSem.e6bLh3 (deleted)
php-fpm7.  6561              www-data    3u   REG   0,40        0     0 35254 /tmp/.ZendSem.e6bLh3 (deleted)
php-fpm7. 24239 openmediavault-webgui    3u   REG   0,40        0     0 35254 /tmp/.ZendSem.e6bLh3 (deleted)
Thought maybe that there are some deleted files that could take up space. But it seems that all these deleted files have a size of 0? I have tried to kill these processes e.g.

kill -9 1412
But this did not help, and they come back up after a short time, with a new PID.

Any experts here that can point in the right direction? What can possibly take up space on my disk?

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Systemdisk/OS disk almost full

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Try installing xdiskusage. It is way easier than digging through the CLI for a novice.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

SonOfThor wrote: I have a problem to locate what is filling up my space on my OS disk (rootfs if this is the more proper terminology)
No, rootfs is something different. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... tramfs.txt.
SonOfThor wrote:I am OK with the ~ 12 GB size on the drive, but df tells me that it is 49GB used on the drive ...?
It could be
- deleted files which are still opened by a process. Did you reboot after deleting the files ?
- files "hidden" under a mounted filesystem

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

Please describe in detail how you removed the docker images.

SonOfThor

#5 Post by SonOfThor »

Hallvor wrote:Try installing xdiskusage. It is way easier than digging through the CLI for a novice.
I tried installing it with apt-get, but that did not work. I will have another look at it again when I find the time.

SonOfThor

#6 Post by SonOfThor »

pylkko wrote:Please describe in detail how you removed the docker images.
I just used the functionality in the GUI of OpenMediaVault. Deleted the containers using "delete" in GUI, then checked the openmediavault-docker-gui 4.1and selected uninstall in the plugin section of the GUI. The server has been restarted a number of times after that - and before the re-installation of the Docker plugin. Do you think that the Docker service is still addressing some space on the disk? If so, would that not show up using LSOF? How would you suggest to identify this further?

SonOfThor

#7 Post by SonOfThor »

p.H wrote: It could be
- deleted files which are still opened by a process. Did you reboot after deleting the files ?
- files "hidden" under a mounted filesystem
Yes, it seems likely. I did reboot after deleting the files, and have done a number of reboots after the problem started.
Do you have any suggestions as to show "hidden" files under a mounted filesystem?

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Which filesystem is in use?
deadbang

SonOfThor

#9 Post by SonOfThor »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Which filesystem is in use?
I am using ext4 as filesystem.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

SonOfThor wrote:Do you have any suggestions as to show "hidden" files under a mounted filesystem?
"Bind mount" the / filesystem on a temporary mount point.

mount --bind / /mnt
du -h --max-depth=1 /mnt

SonOfThor

#11 Post by SonOfThor »

p.H wrote:
SonOfThor wrote:Do you have any suggestions as to show "hidden" files under a mounted filesystem?
"Bind mount" the / filesystem on a temporary mount point.

mount --bind / /mnt
du -h --max-depth=1 /mnt
Wow, that was useful. Doing that I found a folder with files and folders that does not appear when I do a normal

du -h --max-depth=1 /
What do I do now to remove the "hidden" files and folders on my /? If I remove them from the mount bind it is not removed from the / right? Since I am a novice, I want to be careful here ... so please let me know what to do next. :)

SonOfThor

#12 Post by SonOfThor »

I was adventurous and tried a bit. It turns out that if you delete files/folders on the mount bind it also deletes the files on / after it has been umounted
So I have now managed to get this fixed!

Thanks a lot p.H! You have saved me for a lot of grey hair!