Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Install newer kernel version 4.17+ (no network)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
loosemonkey

[Solved] Install newer kernel version 4.17+ (no network)

#1 Post by loosemonkey »

Hello,

I know its rather easy to upgrade to new kernel version using internet connection through apt-get etc., but how do I do this without the internet, step by step? Any help appreciated thank you.
My current debian version is 4.9 (Debian Stretch amd64).
Last edited by loosemonkey on 2018-11-13 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

Re: Install/upgrade to newer kernel version 4.17 (no Interne

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Are you using any out of tree drivers, such as broadcom-sta or the proprietary Nvidia ones, that will also require the kernel headers to build for the new kernel? That makes it more complicated, since Debian cuts up both the headers and the kernel packages into several packages each.

If I were in your situation and wanted to make it simple, I'd install a backported Liquorix kernel, since that only requires a single deb install each for the actual kernel and headers. I have some backported versions of the Liquorix kernel here:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... r:codelite

and you might as well go for the 4.18 kernel. Direct downloads for 64-bit for the various versions would be here:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... 9.0/amd64/
and you'd want the ~50 MB linux-image deb file and the ~8 MB matching linux-header file (if necessary).

Once you get Net connectivity with the Liquorix kernel, you can use that to install kernels from stretch-backports if you really want a Debian kernel. If you need firmware packages to get a connection, use the appropriate stretch-backports version directly downloaded from packages.debian.org.
MX Linux packager and developer

loosemonkey

Install newer kernel version 4.17+ (no network)

#3 Post by loosemonkey »

Thank you Steve. That did the trick.

stevepusser

Re: [Solved] Install newer kernel version 4.17+ (no network)

#4 Post by stevepusser »

You mean the Liquorix kernels? (I'm uploading an update to those right now)
MX Linux packager and developer