Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slow session loading

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
-iak-

Slow session loading

#1 Post by -iak- »

Hi everybody, I'm on Debian Testing + Xfce and I experience a slow session loading after the login.

I opened a thread on the xfce forum and what came out is that probably the problem is not with the DE. You can find some logs there.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=50108

How can I detect the cause of this delay? It doesn't occour with a new user, nor if I log out and log in again.

Thanks in advance.

Andrea

debiman

Re: Slow session loading

#2 Post by debiman »

looking at the systemd-analyze blame output, there's a lot to be investigated for udisks2, winbind (what is that even?), dev-sda1, ModemManger, exim4 (why is that even active on your system?)...
for each unit, do

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -u unit
(replace "unit" with the service from systemd-analyze)

the same for systemd-analyze critical-chain.
it's clear what you need to investigate, just look at the times. mounting a volume shouldn't take 10s.
and what is winbind???

you also seem to have a load of xsession errors (post #3).
they look unfamiliar to me; tell us much more about your setup please.
any non-default software?
is it even vanilla debian?

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

# apt install haveged
# systemctl enable haveged
Perhaps?
deadbang

-iak-

#4 Post by -iak- »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

# apt install haveged
# systemctl enable haveged
Perhaps?
Unfortunately this doesen't solve the issue, thanks a lot anyway.
debiman wrote:looking at the systemd-analyze blame output, there's a lot to be investigated for udisks2, winbind (what is that even?), dev-sda1, ModemManger, exim4 (why is that even active on your system?)...
for each unit, do

journalctl -b -u unit
(replace "unit" with the service from systemd-analyze)

the same for systemd-analyze critical-chain.
it's clear what you need to investigate, just look at the times. mounting a volume shouldn't take 10s.
and what is winbind???

you also seem to have a load of xsession errors (post #3).
they look unfamiliar to me; tell us much more about your setup please.
any non-default software?
is it even vanilla debian?
It looks everything is alright to me
udisks2↓

iak@iakasus:~$ sudo journalctl -b -u udisks2
-- Logs begin at Sat 2018-11-24 14:59:00 CET, end at Sat 2018-11-24 15:03:31 CET. --
nov 24 14:59:08 iakasus systemd[1]: Starting Disk Manager...
nov 24 14:59:10 iakasus udisksd[688]: udisks daemon version 2.8.1 starting
nov 24 14:59:15 iakasus systemd[1]: Started Disk Manager.
nov 24 14:59:15 iakasus udisksd[688]: Acquired the name org.freedesktop.UDisks2 on the system message bus
dev-sda1↓

iak@iakasus:~$ sudo journalctl -b -u dev-sda1
-- Logs begin at Sat 2018-11-24 14:59:00 CET, end at Sat 2018-11-24 15:04:28 CET. --
-- No entries --
ModemManager↓

iak@iakasus:~$ sudo journalctl -b -u ModemManager
-- Logs begin at Sat 2018-11-24 14:59:00 CET, end at Sat 2018-11-24 15:04:52 CET. --
nov 24 14:59:08 iakasus systemd[1]: Starting Modem Manager...
nov 24 14:59:10 iakasus ModemManager[686]: <info>  ModemManager (version 1.8.2) starting in system bus...
nov 24 14:59:13 iakasus systemd[1]: Started Modem Manager.
nov 24 14:59:15 iakasus ModemManager[686]: <info>  Couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.2/0000:02:00.0': not supported by any plugin
nov 24 14:59:15 iakasus ModemManager[686]: <info>  Couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.3/0000:03:00.0': not supported by any plugin
this last seems to be an useless warning.

I removed windbind (perhaps it was installed by playonlinux) and exim4 (it was installed by default).

I'm not on Vanilla Debian. If by "non-default software" you mean apps taken from sources others than official repos, I've got the KX-Studio repos and installed other stuff like Franz and Tusk.

For what concerns the xsession errors, from the xfce forum they told me they are messages one can safely ignore, so I presume it's nothing that affects loading session's time.

What can be causing this delay then?

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

-iak- wrote:I'm not on Vanilla Debian.
...s/he said almost inaudibly.
what are you on, then?

-iak-

#6 Post by -iak- »

On Debian Testing, as you can read on the first line of the first post. I'm not a native speaker, so you'll forgive some bad expressions, I hope.

[EDIT: typos]

llivv

#7 Post by llivv »

-iak- wrote:I'm not on Vanilla Debian. If by "non-default software" you mean apps taken from sources others than official repos, I've got the KX-Studio repos and installed other stuff like Franz and Tusk.
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/
https://blog.meetfranz.com/franz-for-wi ... cc49a5f6db
https://www.fossmint.com/tusk-evernote- ... for-linux/
3rd party repo's are not supported with stable testing or unstable
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

-iak-

#8 Post by -iak- »

Thanks llivv, is there a way to know if are the repos to blame?

llivv

#9 Post by llivv »

If you have an empty partition you can install debian testing on it.

I wouldn't try removing the third party software unless you know exactly
what packages - sources (edit + package - source dependencies ) are installed and can purge them all.

But if you do know what you've got installed - purging it is another option.

The way it is it's anybodies guess why the machine is misbehaving.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

VVedran

#10 Post by VVedran »

I think it is because of the tumblerd, little program which is responsible for the thumbnails on the xfce desktop, I used to have problem with slow desktop loading, but when I changed to nvidia drivers it went away, and now with the last update that I made it came back. The solution-disable desktop icons or tumblerd.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

I have had this before, and just found it again. Twice in the past months, reverting the kernel eliminated the pause. I've posted on a dazed and confused message recorded in syslog seems remotely related. My frankendebian I created yesterday has that message returning, and a 5 minute delay from lightdm to desktop only from a fresh boot. This system also logs off and on in seconds. Note also, while waiting for the desktop, tty1 and 2 are available for use without issue. Once the 'dazed' message starts spamming the tty1 terminal it means the desktop has been up for a few minutes...

This time, on a stable xfce stretch vm I upgraded 664 packages to buster in round 1, including installing kernel 4.18.20. The delay happened on the first reboot. I had some logs to go through...Round 2 took acpi,syslinux-common, *sysv*, samba-libs, tcpd, udev, wicd*, yelp from stretch to buster and greatly shortened the logs but still a 5 minute delay. Those in round 2 where things temporarily broken if done in round 1.

I have round 3 and 4 left and will report if I find anything relevant. systemd-analyze shows graphical.taget in 1.486s, its lying.

If I boot the previous kernel 4.9.110-1, graphical.target reached after 1.245s in userspace, and it's not lying...So reverting the kernel does solve my delay, I will push through and see what I can find to make 4.18.20 work right. For me, all kernels past 4.9 have introduced this issue.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

A revisit to this thread since I'm still finding the same issue. With the new 4.19.16-1 it's normal until I hit enter in lightdm, then nothing for a few minutes. Terminal shows target reached...nothing.

root@i386:~# systemd-analyze blame
    1min 29.208s ssh.service
With any earlier kernel <4.10 there is no delay. Entire time is less than 893ms, ssh.service in 62ms.
Same on amd64 so far too.
?

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

CwF wrote:?
Have you tried haveged?
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by CwF »

Thanks, I had a momento moment. Even my notes mention this. I don't know why this addition works. I've done this loop before.

So /dev/random went form ~200 to ~1500 and climbing at boot. Since I don't know what's going on here it's possible my brain will suffer from low entropy and I'll go through another 'minimize packages' session and re-remove it. It seemed ssh.service was waiting on something.

It seems with a home-made kernel I escape this need, yield a kernel a quarter smaller, and then argue with myself it's a waste of time...I guess I'll see what happen when I pass the image among bare metal.

Thanks again.