Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Setting default vpn connection in open vpn [SOLVED]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bryanmc

Setting default vpn connection in open vpn [SOLVED]

#1 Post by bryanmc »

When I restart my system (or bring it back up from suspend) my vpn automatically connects to my vpn provider's node in Texas. In order to connect to a closer node I have to disconnect from the Texas node and reconnect to one we'll call West for sake of discussion. I've done some searching and can't figure out how to change the default connection or if it's even possible. I'm using gnome network manager with network-manager-openvpn-gnome installed on debian stretch.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by bryanmc on 2019-01-02 14:04, edited 2 times in total.

bryanmc

Re: Setting default vpn connection in open vpn

#2 Post by bryanmc »

A little more info:
Thinking I would try the easy, obvious route first, I simply deleted the "Texas" vpn configuration. The result was that eth0 failed to connect (it would connect and a second later disconnect). Thankfully I had a fresh clonezilla backup and was able to return things to the original config. Still hoping for some insight as to how network manager and this one particular vpn config could be linked.

themagicm

#3 Post by themagicm »

what do you mean by "your vpn"?

You running PIA? Or did you manually create entries?

bryanmc

#4 Post by bryanmc »

Re-reading it I guess I was a little confusing. PIA is my VPN provider and I'm using their configurations and nodes, but I'm not using their vpn manager.

bryanmc

#5 Post by bryanmc »

I don't have any issues with PIA and get almost 100% of my supplied bandwith. I'm just trying to figure out why network manager always defaults to one particular vpn configuration (as opposed to say the last one it was connected to) and fails to connect at all if the "Texas" configuration s deleted. I'm sure it must be simple, but I just can't find the connection.

bryanmc

#6 Post by bryanmc »

Well... As much as I hate to admit it the fix was simple. Open network manager, network connections, then select the wired connection and click edit and on the general tab at the bottom is a place to select automatically connect to vpn and gives you the ability to select which one. I've been through that section numerous times, and missed it. Perhaps it's because the wired connection opens to "ethernet" and not "general". Maybe I never checked or noticed the "general" tab, I can't say for certain.

Anyway, that's all there was to it. I think I'll go stand in the corner now.... LOL