Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Build vlc it needs gcc 4.8 or higher [SOLVED]

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
stevepusser

Re: Build vlc it needs gcc 4.8 or higher

#21 Post by stevepusser »

Say what? The Qt in the 3.0.3 Stretch version is Qt 5. https://packages.debian.org/stretch/vlc-plugin-qt

As far as I know, VLC 3 won't even build on Qt 4.

There are also a couple steps missing from HOAS's recipe (don't hang your stick head in shame, I mess up a lot, too):

After running

Code: Select all

apt-get source vlc
, run

apt-get build-dep vlc
to install the build-dependencies.

Also, if you rebuild with changes but keep the same version number, odds are that apt will nag you to update to the exact same version in the apt repository. A one-line command you can run before the build command to increment the changelog is

dch --local +myversion --distribution stretch "What changes I made"
(requires devscripts)

You can replace "myversion" with whatever you like, and optionally replace the text string in quotes with your changes and why you made them.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-12-01 23:34, edited 2 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Scorpion

#22 Post by Scorpion »

I already used buidl-dep (and I also installed many others package) since I built vlc.
I tried with this but same error:

GNU nano 2.7.4                                                 File: debian/rules                                                           

endif

# configure flags
confflags += \
        --enable-run-as-root \
        --disable-update-check \
[...]
How do I make env QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 vlc permanent?
And right debian has qt 5.7, only vlc 4 needs 5.9.

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

That's not a configuration flag that you can add, it only supports the flags that are built into the configure script; "./configure -h" to see those. Just remove all your stuff and install the Stretch VLC, then if you want to launch VLC with that parameter, just make a script that sets that and then runs VLC, name it something like vlc-qt, put it in /usr/local/bin, and run that instead to start vlc. You can also edit the menu entry to use "vlc-qt" instead if you want.

Edit: Dai-trying's environment fix is superior, do that instead.

So it is a classic XY problem...for future reference, if you had just come out and told us what you were trying to do from the first post, we wouldn't have had to go down all these false paths--just tell you how to set an environment variable.

For the skins issue, you have to install the vlc-plugin-skins2 package, install some skins manually, and then enable the skins user interface in VLC's Preferences.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-12-01 23:43, edited 2 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

#24 Post by Dai_trying »

Scorpion wrote:How do I make env QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 vlc permanent?
add QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 to the file /etc/environment if it exists, if not create it.

I had to use this for a display problem with VLC.

Scorpion

#25 Post by Scorpion »

Dai_trying wrote:
Scorpion wrote:How do I make env QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 vlc permanent?
add QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 to the file /etc/environment if it exists, if not create it.

I had to use this for a display problem with VLC.
Perfect!!! ( Needs reboot).

Scorpion

#26 Post by Scorpion »

stevepusser wrote:So it is a classic XY problem...for future reference, if you had just come out and told us what you were trying to do from the first post, we wouldn't have had to go down all these false paths--just tell you how to set an environment variable.

For the skins issue, you have to install the vlc-plugin-skins2 package, install some skins manually, and then enable the skins user interface in VLC's Preferences.
Surely I should have told you what i was trying to do. But I also wanted to build since all my efforts :D