Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dell customers want Linux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GMouse

#21 Post by GMouse »

DeanLinkous wrote:A few thousand ubuntu geeks will buy these systems, a few thousand linux geeks will buy these to use with other distros, and then hopefully everyone will see that linux is a geek market and nothing else.
Hopefully? Don't you want a greater installed base and mindshare? The Ubuntu community would absorb the greater majority of the newbies, but all of the FLOSS world would benefit by the greater clout.
For the sake of proper attribution, my avatar: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40999320/

chrismortimore

#22 Post by chrismortimore »

I've found that Dell's are usually very well behaved with Linux anyway. But it's always good to have another big company supporting Linux :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

DeanLinkous

#23 Post by DeanLinkous »

GMouse wrote: Hopefully? Don't you want a greater installed base and mindshare?
No newbies are coming from this. If someone does not know what Ubuntu is then they certainly are not going to choose a computer with ubuntu on it. If they do, then they will complain that they thought it was some kind of app that runs on windows since windows==computer.

Geeks have done a good job spreading linux even taking a few non-geeks and introducing them to geek-dom at least enough geek-dom to do basic tasks using linux. That is how I prefer to achieve *mindshare*

It is cool to have linux compatible hardware as I said some sales would be for that very reason. Of course, what is compatible today may not be tommorrow. As previously mentioned though, the past few dells that I have ran across have been perfectly compatible anyway but that was before all the AMD/Nvidia systems.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

hcgtv

#24 Post by hcgtv »

Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard