Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dell wifi interface not showing after loading module

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Dylanus

Re: Dell wifi interface not showing after loading module

#21 Post by Dylanus »

Didn't realise it stood for Perl nopaste.
I had to break it up into three files, as there appears to be a 700 line limit.
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189730
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189731
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189732

Hope that helps.
Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You have a failure from cryptsetup, put the exact errors in a search engine to pursue that further.

There are also several stack traces from the kernel and sddm, have you tried GNOME or stevepusser's backported siduction kernel?
deadbang

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

Inxi output is fairly short, just past it here and put code tags around it. The pastebin looks like it messed up the formatting, could you just do that with the output of "inxi -G"? It looks like both video cards are trying to handle the 3D rendering at one time, which is odd. If the first output with "Gallium" is for your Intel CPU, that means that Mesa is too old--I got the same thing with my Intel Coffee Lake UHD 630 GPU, which I think you also have, so it's expected.

BTW, I put the backported upstream Debian 4.19.5 kernel in my OBS new-hardware repo instead of the Siduction one. After waiting so long for it to appear, it was available right after I did the Siduction. Testers say it works well, despite a lot of firmware warnings for AMD GPU users*, so we're going to test the MX 18 beta with it included.

* Which may be solved with a newer set of firmware packages I did...
MX Linux packager and developer

Dylanus

#24 Post by Dylanus »

I got the wifi working properly at boot time. Just had to configure /etc/network/interfaces. The swap issue just seems to be that it is being mounted and then the system tries to mount it again for some reason. It's all working, so I don't think I'll worry about that issue. I might try creating encrypted swap myself at some point.
I do want to get the drivers sorted out, as that should make a lot of the errors go away.
The output of inxi -G is:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 3ea0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1d10
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 256 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Stevepusser, how do I get your kernel? Can you give me a link to your repo? And is that the only thing I'll need to ensure the right drivers are installed?
Thanks

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

OK, now just the Intel card is showing rendering, which is the software-based Gallium instead of the Mesa Dri hardware-accelerated rendering that we want, so you do need the new Mesa. To add and use my repo:

As root (sudo users can become root with "sudo su"), copy and paste the whole command from the code block:

add the repo

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/new-hardware-support/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser:new-hardware-support.list
download and install the repo key

rm -f Release.key && wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:new-hardware-support/Debian_9.0/Release.key -O Release.key && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm Release.key
update package database

apt update
Updates from the repository are now available to your system. To see them, run

apt list --upgradeable
You're interested in the Mesa-related packages, currently at 18.1.9, which will also bring in some other packages when you upgrade them, which is normal. You don't need to upgrade your kernel if you already have the backports version. If you want to upgrade everything from my repo, that should be safe.

Dylanus

#26 Post by Dylanus »

Thanks for that. When I ran

apt list --upgradeable
nothing was listed, but this is the output of running

apt-get upgrade
:

The following packages have been kept back:                                                                                          
  libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm2 libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx                                                        
  libglapi-mesa libgles2-mesa libwayland-egl1-mesa libxatracker2 linux-image-amd64                                                   
  mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers                                                                                                 
The following packages will be upgraded:                                                                                             
  firmware-atheros firmware-iwlwifi libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1                                                     
  libwayland-client0 libwayland-cursor0 libwayland-server0 linux-libc-dev                                                            
  va-driver-all xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati                                                                     
  xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-radeon
15 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
When I ran

apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade
, it gave me this output:

apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libllvm3.9 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libdrm-common libegl-mesa0 libegl1 libgl1 libgles2 libglvnd0 libglx-mesa0 libglx0
  libllvm6.0 libva2 libwayland-egl1 linux-image-4.18.0-2-amd64
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm2 libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
  libglapi-mesa libgles2-mesa libwayland-egl1-mesa libxatracker2 linux-image-amd64
  mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers
13 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
That doesn't seem like a big problem to me, although I'll find out when I reboot. Is this likely to be a problem?
I'll reboot in a few minutes when it finishes and let you know how it goes.

Dylanus

#27 Post by Dylanus »

I got all the same errors at boot time. Here's inxi:

System:    Host: debian Kernel: 4.18.0-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.6 (Qt 5.7.1) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 7580
           Mobo: Dell model: 050K6P v: A00 UEFI: Dell v: 1.2.1 date: 08/23/2018
Battery    BAT0: charge: 33.1 Wh 89.8% condition: 36.8/36.8 Wh (100%)
           model: LGC-LGC3.553 DELL 8YPRW86 status: Discharging
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-8565U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 15936
           clock speeds: max: 4600 MHz 1: 900 MHz 2: 900 MHz 3: 900 MHz 4: 900 MHz
           5: 900 MHz 6: 900 MHz 7: 900 MHz 8: 900 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 3ea0 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1d10 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.1.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9dc8 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.18.0-2-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Device 2526 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 512.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 91G used: 5.2G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 501M used: 98M (22%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8
           ID-3: /home size: 162G used: 1.2G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-2
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 38.0                         
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0                                                 
Info:      Processes: 246 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 1389.4/7700.5MB                        
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0                                    
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.5      
Here's the journal output:
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189758
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189759
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189760
https://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1189761

Is something still missing? I might try the new kernel and switching to GNOME as well.

stevepusser

#28 Post by stevepusser »

Your Intel graphics are working correctly now, which is what the newer Mesa was supposed to do. Gallium is gone.

GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.1.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
I really don't want to slog through a thousand lines of log output to guess at whatever errors you are talking about. Can you be more specific about those?

Dylanus

#29 Post by Dylanus »

Of course, sorry. I took a screenshot of the error messages that show up during boot time. I'll summarise:
I decrypt root and swap, then it displays:

iTCO_wdt: can't request region for resource [mem 0x00c5f
Then it prompts for my /home decryption password. Then the screen sort of refreshes and a bunch of error messages show up, then it waits for my password with the cursor beneath the messages.
They're all firmware messages.

failed to load i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (-2)
nouveau: failed to load nvidia/gp108/gr/sw_nonctx.bin (-2)
gr: failed to load gr/sw_nonctx
DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid
DRM: failed to create kernel channel -22
Are the negative numbers all exit codes? And do I simply need Nvidia drivers? Does your kernel contain those? If I just need to install the kernel from your repo, that would be very simple.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if you need to see any more output.

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

You also need to install "firmware-misc-nonfree" from my repo to get rid of the firmware messages. All sixth-generation and above Intel hardware requires that. The nouveau firmware should also be in that package.

If you want to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers, with the newer kernel you'll need a newer set of those, which are also in my repo. You have an Optimus laptop, so you should follow the Debian procedure for setting up bumblebee-nvidia in the Debian wiki. https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... _Bumblebee

The easy way to set up your system to build kernel drivers (modules) like Nvidia is to install module-assistant and then run as root or with sudo:

m-a prepare
Dells seem to require some extra tweaks to get Bumblebee to work, however, so that's something we can work on together--I'm interested in finding the secret of that for MX Linux users, too.

Dylanus

#31 Post by Dylanus »

I installed the firmware-misc-nonfree and that certainly got rid of a couple of error messages. I'll install the kernel and have a look at the bumble bee stuff tonight and let you know how I go.

Dylanus

#32 Post by Dylanus »

So, I've switched to GNOME now, as KDE was freezing, not shutting down properly, and generally doing alarming things. So far GNOME seems a bit more stable, but I'll have to wait and see.
Currently systemctl status shows one failed unit and says the state is degraded, but there's a lot of output. Is there a way to get it to tell me exactly what has failed? I'm not sure if it's relevant to what we're trying to achieve, but it would be good to find out.
Can you let me know how to install the kernel and drivers in your repo? I tried search for linux-image, but there were too many options. Also, it looks like that step is required to install bumblebee. I ran the checks on the page you linked to for Nvidia graphics.
gxlgears runs without a problem.
This is the output for glxinfo | grep OpenGL:

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.1.9
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.1.9
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 18.1.9
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
When I try to run optirun glxinfo, however, whether as root or not, it takes a long time, and if I kill it it gives back messages like 'bad file descriptor', mouse not found, or it just freezes the whole computer.
I'm hoping new drivers will resolve all this.
If you can let me know how to install the kernel and drivers from your repo, I'll get that done and see if it fixes things. Thanks.

stevepusser

#33 Post by stevepusser »

If you have Synaptic and are running 64-bit, you can search for and install the "linux-image-4.18.0-2-amd64" package to get the 4.18.10 kernel, or the "linux-image-4.19.0-1-amd64" package to get the 4.19.5 kernel. Then install module-assistant, reboot to the new kernel, run "uname -a" to confirm you're running the new kernel, and run as root or with sudo:

m-a prepare
to get the kernel headers and compilers necessary to build kernel drivers like Nvida.

After that, you can follow the Debian wiki entry on how to install Bumblebee. I install inxi and run

inxi -G
versus

optirun inxi -G
to test if it's working.

There are some tweaks in the wiki for Dell that you may need to do, and I also have some that aren't in the wiki.

Let me add virtualgl packages to that repo; it's also very useful.

Dylanus

#34 Post by Dylanus »

I installed the kernel. That switched over without an issue. I did get some output there which made me think something else is missing:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.18.0-2-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8107e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8107e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168h-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8106e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8106e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8402-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169
Is that for RealTek? I'm not sure which module that is.
I ran m-a prepare without a problem. I tried running

m-a a-i nvidia-kernel
but that stopped at 88% and didn't progress for another 8 hours, so I killed it. I tried running

apt-get install bumblebee primus
, following the wiki instructions, but it said they were both the latest versions. Do I need bumblebee from another repo? How do I tell what is still missing?

stevepusser

#35 Post by stevepusser »

The firmware-realtek package will provide Realtek firmware.

What happens when you run, per the wiki,

apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee#From_repository

Dylanus

#36 Post by Dylanus »

When I run that, I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
primus is already the newest version (0~20150328-4).
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 bumblebee-nvidia : Depends: glx-alternative-nvidia (>= 0.6.92) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: nvidia-driver but it is not going to be installed or
                             nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-kernel-dkms but it is not going to be installed or
                             nvidia-legacy-340xx-kernel-dkms but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms but it is not installable or
                             nvidia but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-current but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-current-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-driver-binary but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-304 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-304-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-304 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-310 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-310-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-310 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-313 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-313-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-313 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-319 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-319-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-319 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-325 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-325-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-325 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-331 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-331-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-331 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-334 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-334-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-334 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-337 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-337-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-337 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-340 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-340-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-340 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-343 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-343-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-343 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-346 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-346-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-346 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-349 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-349-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-349 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-352 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-352-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-352 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-355 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-355-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-355 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-358 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-358-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-358 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-361 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-361-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-361 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-364 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-364-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-364 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-367 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-367-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-367 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-375 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-375-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-375 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-378 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-378-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-378 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-381 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-381-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-381 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-384 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-384-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-384 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-387 but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-387-updates but it is not installable or
                             nvidia-experimental-387 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
What did I do wrong? Do I need to run some sort of update, or specify which repo to search?
Running

apt-get autoremove
and

apt-get update
doesn't fix the issue either.
[By the way, I will be away for several days this weekend, but I will try anything you suggest as soon as I get back.]

stevepusser

#37 Post by stevepusser »

Is my repository still enabled?

Dylanus

#38 Post by Dylanus »

Yes it is.

llivv

#39 Post by llivv »

don't we put newly added modprobe modules in the modules file anymore?
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

What does

apt policy glx-alternative-nvidia nvidia-driver
show, then?