Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solved - Debian 9.6.0 amd64 freezes during boot

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jwsarge2

Re: Debian 9.6.0 amd64 freezes during boot

#21 Post by jwsarge2 »

Good afternoon,

As mentioned in my last post, I had edited grub so the system booted to tty1 and then would use startx to shift to the Mate DE with a 1920x1080 resolution. While this got me the desired resolution in my desktop I was unable to sit on my hands and continued exploring for ways to have the system open with the gui vs using the tty1 run around. When I ran lspci I noted the nvidia card which got me to thinking about reverting to a nvidia driver vs continuing with the current nouveau driver so I installed and ran nvidia-detect which pointed to the 304xx driver. I then ran sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) followed by sudo apt-get install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver, edited the /etc/default/grub to get it back to booting to the gui, ran update-grub and sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target (I had changed that default when I set the system up to boot to tty1). Restarting the system has the nvdia driver now running instead of the nouveau one and that seems to have done the trick. Solved. I have always liked Nvdia... :D
R/jwsarge2

On the side of the box for OS requirements was written "WIN9X or better" so I installed Debian/GNU Linux.