Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MagicPoulp

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

#21 Post by MagicPoulp »

pendrachken wrote:

Code: Select all

yum --enablerepo=centos-sclo-rh -y install rh-ruby25 && scl enable rh-ruby25 bash

ruby -v 
ruby 2.5.0p0 (2017-12-25 revision 61468) [x86_64-linux]

Or use RVM: https://tecadmin.net/install-ruby-latest-stable-centos/

Seems just as easy as using backports. And no worse than using newer software that isn't available in backports on Debian to me.
Yes is it about the same.

Note that debian testing has ruby 2.5.1, not 2.5.0. And one can build it from source for working on stable by using 2 commands.

themagicm

#22 Post by themagicm »

pendrachken wrote: Damn, and here I've been using 'yum install foo' on my CentOS workstation VM when I was supposed to be manually installing from tarballs? Silly me..... I should have realized it was worse than RedHat 5, that even way back then had RPM, even if it didn't do automatic dependency installation.

What?? You dont compile from source every time on this antiquated CentOS distro??? LMAO. I heard Caldera OpenLinux 1.0 should be a great distro over CentOS.

millpond

#23 Post by millpond »

What is the server for?

And what type of software will be running on it?

Debian has a pretty decent testing ecosystem and a large but single repository base.
Generallly the stable software is a year or more old, often more.

A server hosting ecommerce websites with large databases might well be advised to go a more conservative route as business is loathe to change for the expense and risks it entails, as the website may need to be compatible with older LAMP server software. So Debian or CentOS is probably the best bet.

Sites hosting the latest and greatest MVC sites will probably want the ability to run the latest java/js/ruby/python based apps and utils. Ubuntu might have an edge there as they source not only from Debian, but also Git and Bazaar which may provide bleeding edge, as well as more variety. Those packages are not compatible with Debian, as Ubuntu uses a different file system structure. Plus I have seen some gadawful programming on some of those packages.

It is also well to keep in mind that Debian and RH began their lives as production distros. While Ubuntu was designed as a consumer distro. Will IT savvy clients have a bias due to these differences?