Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why this message? (SOLVED)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
slowjeff

Why this message? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by slowjeff »

I'm getting this message after I do software adds on my Debian Stretch / KDE new install.

KDEInit could not open file /usr/bin/apper

The file in question does exist in /usr/bin.

Any suggestions how to fix?
Last edited by slowjeff on 2019-01-09 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: Why this message?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Have you tried any searches on this ? I am going to try to help you, but to be honest I don't know the answer off hand, and you may have all ready tried this, but any way :
KDEInit could not open file /usr/bin/apper
It will take a few minuets to go through the results, a little logic applied tells me off hand,
the message tells you it needs apper, and you say it is not there, Maybe you need to install the apper package, if there is one.
You need to give better details about what you have done, and at least try a little,...usually there are plenty of results when one does a search using the key words from the error messages, but this will take a few minuets, if you have not tried that then that is what you should try first. I will get back shortly if I see any results that look usefull.
============edited , less the 2 minuets later ======
The first hit
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... sing-apper
looks like it should be a good answer, how ever if it does not work for you, there are many hits, and probably other solutions, I do not have time or desire to read all of them for you, besides I don't know enough details to be able to know which solution would be best in your situation, so any way, you should be able to find something if the first one does not help.

slowjeff

#3 Post by slowjeff »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

The file is there, and it works. Everything happens as I want it to - then when it's *done* it says, "I couldn't find the file."

To which I reply, "You could too, you did it." :?

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

It could be the (very common) problem of using su to become root which has a new "feature" of not always setting the current $PATH correctly, if this is the case for you you could try using su - instead which should solve the issue.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Dai_trying wrote:It could be the (very common) problem of using su to become root
Unlikely, /usr/bin should be in the normal user's PATH :?

@OP: what does this say

Code: Select all

file /usr/bin/apper
deadbang

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Dai_trying wrote:It could be the (very common) problem of using su to become root
Unlikely, /usr/bin should be in the normal user's PATH :?

@OP: what does this say

Code: Select all

file /usr/bin/apper

DOH! :oops:

slowjeff

Re: Why this message? (SOLVED)

#7 Post by slowjeff »

Not really exactly solved, but since everything works - it does open and use the file, it just complains afterward that it couldn't - I'm not going to pursue it.

Thanks, though.