MP4 plays still image + audio track

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby slowjeff » 2018-12-24 16:00

Running the latest Debian, installed this week on a Toshiba Satellite U-505 with KDE desktop, when I attempt to play an MP4 file on either Dragon or VLC it shows the first frame as a still image but runs the audio track normally.
I installed via unetbootin - debian. Everything else appears to work.
The "LRV" (Low Resolution Video) form of the same clip will play.
The MP4 in question was recorded by a GoPro Hero 4 at high resolution and frame speed.
The MP4 is a good file and will play OK on a common commercial OS.
I have attempted to install all the codecs I can find in the depository.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
slowjeff
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2018-12-24 15:48

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby Segfault » 2018-12-24 16:39

You forgot to mention what output method VLC is configured to use for video. Also, is your installation using correct video drivers or it is running on fallback drivers (VESA, fbdev)?
Segfault
 
Posts: 914
Joined: 2005-09-24 12:24

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-12-24 16:58

slowjeff wrote:I have attempted to install all the codecs I can find in the depository.

And which codecs would these be, then? We wouldn't want to offer redundant advice, that would be irritating :)
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10600
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby Segfault » 2018-12-24 17:52

First, with recent ffmpeg all codecs you need for common formats are already installed.
Second, MP4 is not a video format, it is a container. Usually the video inside is AVC, aka H.264 aka MPEG-4 part 10. Audio is usually AAC.
Third, run mediainfo on your file if you want to know what's inside.

... and fourth ... I still suspect there is incapable video driver in use, in other words, the Xorg is running on fallback drivers.
Segfault
 
Posts: 914
Joined: 2005-09-24 12:24

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-24 20:51

I thought that the GoPro uses its own video codec for the higher resolution video; I remember reading a lot about that and Linux a couple year back. Newer versions of ffmpeg/libav* than you have in Stretch may support that codec, though.

Edit: Some posts say that the latest GoPros are using hevc (h.265) encoding...

What does media information in VLC say about the video?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Chromium 78.0.3904.87, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11241
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby Segfault » 2018-12-24 22:44

Well, in case hardware decoding is not available for H.265 then there must be sufficient CPU power to decode it. Again, playing with VLC video output options may help (or may not).
Segfault
 
Posts: 914
Joined: 2005-09-24 12:24

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby slowjeff » 2018-12-26 16:58

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
slowjeff wrote:I have attempted to install all the codecs I can find in the depository.

And which codecs would these be, then? We wouldn't want to offer redundant advice, that would be irritating :)

FFmpeg*
slowjeff
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2018-12-24 15:48

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby slowjeff » 2018-12-26 17:01

Segfault wrote:First, with recent ffmpeg all codecs you need for common formats are already installed.
Second, MP4 is not a video format, it is a container. Usually the video inside is AVC, aka H.264 aka MPEG-4 part 10. Audio is usually AAC.
Third, run mediainfo on your file if you want to know what's inside.

... and fourth ... I still suspect there is incapable video driver in use, in other words, the Xorg is running on fallback drivers.


I don't know how to check to see which video drivers are in use.
I'm.an old man..I used to be an IT tech but I've been out of it for a decade. I just want a computer that will enable me to write and do some very minor video edits and I am *so sick* of dealing with Windows. I used to run various Debians back when I was a working pro, but my memory has faded.
How would I check that?
slowjeff
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2018-12-24 15:48

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby slowjeff » 2018-12-26 17:03

Segfault wrote:You forgot to mention what output method VLC is configured to use for video. Also, is your installation using correct video drivers or it is running on fallback drivers (VESA, fbdev)?

I don't.know how to check what output.method is configured.for VLC.
More ignorance.
I have a boundless supply.
slowjeff
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2018-12-24 15:48

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-26 17:30

So you can play other, more normal mp4 files just fine in VLC, right? Have you checked that?

You can install mediainfo and/or mediainfo-gui to get information on media files, including hevc (h.265) encoded files.

Here is a test 5 MB hevc-encoded mp4 file of me fending off an attacking coyote (OK, just my hand appears in the video) that you can test VLC and mediainfo with. Make sure to download it and not just play it in the browser:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zWATk ... Fc1dVxa-_l
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Chromium 78.0.3904.87, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11241
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby slowjeff » 2018-12-26 17:57

stevepusser wrote:So you can play other, more normal mp4 files just fine in VLC, right? Have you checked that?

You can install mediainfo and/or mediainfo-gui to get information on media files, including hevc (h.265) encoded files.

Here is a test 5 MB hevc-encoded mp4 file of me fending off an attacking coyote (OK, just my hand appears in the video) that you can test VLC and mediainfo with. Make sure to download it and not just play it in the browser:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zWATk ... Fc1dVxa-_l


No, I hadn't checked that, and yes, your file plays perfectly.
Nice to see you defending yourself from the coyote so bravely and powerfully.
So... can I convert my GoPro file to something reasonable?
slowjeff
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2018-12-24 15:48

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby slowjeff » 2018-12-26 18:26

Other interesting note:
MediaInfo can't see anything inside the file in question, although it can see what's in conventional MP4 files.

:shock:
slowjeff
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2018-12-24 15:48

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-27 01:29

Can VLC play the problem video on the commercial OS? If not, what player is playing it there, and can it provide any information about the codecs?

If VLC can play it there, you can convert it to a more standard format in VLC, or enable the advanced GUI in VLC and use the record button to make a small clip to upload for others to see what they can do with it.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Chromium 78.0.3904.87, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11241
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby Segfault » 2018-12-27 02:50

Try ffprobe, example below:
Code: Select all
 $ ffprobe -hide_banner The.Road.to.Hong.Kong.1962.mkv
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'The.Road.to.Hong.Kong.1962.mkv':
  Metadata:
    title           : The Road to Hong Kong 1962
    creation_time   : 2018-12-27T02:40:26.000000Z
    ENCODER         : Lavf58.20.100
  Duration: N/A, start: -0.007000, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1200x720 [SAR 1914:1915 DAR 638:383], SAR 1:1 DAR 5:3, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: opus, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
    Metadata:
      title           : Stereo
Segfault
 
Posts: 914
Joined: 2005-09-24 12:24

Re: MP4 plays still image + audio track

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-27 02:59

Segfault wrote:Try ffprobe, example below:
Code: Select all
 $ ffprobe -hide_banner The.Road.to.Hong.Kong.1962.mkv
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'The.Road.to.Hong.Kong.1962.mkv':
  Metadata:
    title           : The Road to Hong Kong 1962
    creation_time   : 2018-12-27T02:40:26.000000Z
    ENCODER         : Lavf58.20.100
  Duration: N/A, start: -0.007000, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1200x720 [SAR 1914:1915 DAR 638:383], SAR 1:1 DAR 5:3, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: opus, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
    Metadata:
      title           : Stereo


ffprobe requires that you install the ffmpeg package, in case you get a "what?" from the system when you try it.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Chromium 78.0.3904.87, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11241
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

fashionable