Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] new to Debian [thought not the expected way]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kernel_panik

[SOLVED] new to Debian [thought not the expected way]

#1 Post by kernel_panik »

hello there,

ok first time I installed Debian, the installation went well, I installed nvidia drivers but I have some issues afterwards, I am not sure it is related as i didn't try them prior their installation.
1. wanted to add xfce DE but it failed miserably to launch from the gdm3 login screen,
2. I have dual monitor my secondary is at the left of my primary, every time I logout setting are lost and have to be done again
3. with teak tool I've made available again desktop icons, but I cannot select them or click them either.

if anyone got some clues about I will appreciate a lot
Last edited by kernel_panik on 2018-12-30 22:11, edited 2 times in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: new to Debian

#2 Post by arochester »

it failed miserably to launch from the gdm3 login screen
What did you do? What happened? What did you see?

kernel_panik

#3 Post by kernel_panik »

Don't bother to answer after trying to do a bunch of other things, getting numerous issue with missing dependencies, error with gpg key inside software manager, dealing with bug in gnome3..... well I could have easily install a new gentoo from scratch for the same time spent trying to solve my Debian's issue.... I've chosen another distro and get all I wanted to work in a blink of an eye, i'll try Debian 10.0 when it s out
...thx for trying to help

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks for not providing any hardware information or explaining really what problems you were having in any detail.

That makes it impossible for anyone to even guess what was going on in your system. I guess you didn't read the forum guidelines, eh?
MX Linux packager and developer

sgage

#5 Post by sgage »

stevepusser wrote:Thanks for not providing any hardware information or explaining really what problems you were having in any detail.

That makes it impossible for anyone to even guess what was going on in your system. I guess you didn't read the forum guidelines, eh?
I think the technical term of art for this character is 'troll'. Come blustering in with an ill-defined problem, and then when someone engages to ask some questions and try to help, immediately flounce off with "I've chosen another distro that is so superior and easy". Just another drive-by... :roll:

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Note that I didn't recommend MX Linux to this poster... :wink:

kernel_panik

#7 Post by kernel_panik »

Guys sorry, I really apologize but there was no need to waste your time for trying to solve my issues, I searched the internet for similar troubleshooting that works for others Debian users, didn't work for me, a linux Distro is like a girlfriend, there is no a better one, just one that get easier along ! Never force things or people that are not compatible in the beginning, that's all, there are so many distro out there a good reason to try another one! And many are Debian Base so it is just a half drop :), for this box I wanted a distro hassle free don't want to dedicate too much time in sys administration. Hope you understand, I didn't mean to offend anyone

Cheer

llivv

#8 Post by llivv »

I try to stay away from kernel_panic
both on list off list and here....

That was one of the quickest turnarounds we've seen here at this forum in a ling time.

If you can mark this thread as [Solved} in your first posts title, that would be nice of you ,,,,
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

kernel_panik

#9 Post by kernel_panik »

yes It was fast but I needed to have on this computer a stable, user friendly and working linux right away for a month or 2, never tried Debian before, I heard Linus Torvald say that for him Debian was a no go and I thought " come one it cannot be more challenging than a Gentoo or a Slackware or an Arch install that I've been running through long ago" let's try it. I really have been surprised that after the fast install things were not working as expected,I still got an old laptop with a fully working Gentoo upgraded from the first install done 6 years ago, and everything is the way I want, I cannot do heavy things on it but i's ok, I couldn't afford to spend so much time to solve all the issues with Debian, after all it wasn't meant to be my main OS, I shouldn't have asked on the forum, but it was kind of a reflex...sorry for the misunderstanding.

llivv

Re: [SOLVED] new to Debian [thought not the expexted way]

#10 Post by llivv »

k_p - no harm no foul - at least as far as I'm concerned.
I have a few ideas about why your out of the box experience was sub par. And I can appreciate why you might not have had enough spare time to install missing packages as well as try to figure out what we are talking about with apt commands and fixing your /etc/apt/sources,list to enable the non-free repos
Plus the other assorted mangling of communications that often occur in exchanges...
My main point is that there is nothing wrong with not having enough time to mess with things.

I for one am fairly sure I would have to walk back a ways,
to become familiar with gentoo, emarge and manual dependency solving.
I installed Slack a few times since slack was the first to release KDE4
back than it was a big thing for me to see the new shinny KDE visuals
and get a heads up about what to expect when the packages were ready from the Debian KDE team
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

One has to be aware that standard Debian does not include non-free firmware or drivers on the ISO as a matter of policy; but this means that much hardware could have trouble working out of the box, including almost all wi-fi. But this has already been stated in a bajillion different threads on these forums.

If you just want a Debian-based Linux that works out of the box, try one of the Debian ISOs that include the firmware, or one of the Debian derivatives that are more suitable for complete beginners.

kernel_panik

#12 Post by kernel_panik »

guys don't assume i did nothing before I ask for help in this thread, I did add the "deb -address of the stretch backport ftp- stretch-backport - main and others", then i got missing pub key, then i get some of them manually and exporting them in apt but didn't work either, then by deleting the trust.gpg file I get apt update to work, install nvidia drivers, then no way to fix the setup for my dual monitor had to do it at every login, then random appearance of icons on the gnome3 desktop, some of them you can't interact with them in any way, try to change DE with something more basic like Xfce, no way... and many other little things.... it was too much .... so I did exactly what stevepusser said I opted for a Debian derivative for total beginners with absolutely no shame, I'm writing from it right now, got working in half an our, everything needed installed by script while eating, nvidia-drivers right away even steam ready to play with... a bliss, as you say I did a mistake by choosing a distro who couldn't satisfy my need in those precise circumstances, but I couldn't have known that without doing it the hard way, could I ? ... I'll give a try to Debian another time when my schedule allow me to play with, I was just copy/pasting from other threads without catching a real understanding what was going on, as i said I was in hurry tomorrow is monday I needed this working pc anyway I must have spare windows based machine somewhere to wipe out for its own sake... don't worry I'll be back :) I didn't register here for nothing...at least i trained my poor english :)

thx for your understanding and for having red this post with the sole purpose to help a lost soul,
May I wish you all an happy new year