Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual boot but windows OS not detected [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
johnbr8

Dual boot but windows OS not detected [SOLVED]

#1 Post by johnbr8 »

I have installed Debian stretch to a primary partition on my second hard drive but stopped short of installing Grub to the first HDD when it said Linux was the only OS detected.

I did end up installing Grub, but not wanting to mess up the Windows boot manager, I installed it to the second HDD. What should I do now bearing in mind that Windows is currently my main system. Thanks.
John
Last edited by johnbr8 on 2019-01-01 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Dual boot but windows OS not detected

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Is Windows booting in UEFI mode?

With the drives connected, please post the output of

Code: Select all

parted --list
Thanks!
deadbang

johnbr8

#3 Post by johnbr8 »

Both drives are connected and normal boot is UEFI.
However when I was making the DVD drive bootable in the BIOS I selected the non EFI option and I wonder if that is the problem.
Unfortunately after going into the BIOS again the EFI option is not listed for the DVD drive - so I will have to figure how to get it back.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

johnbr8 wrote:when I was making the DVD drive bootable in the BIOS I selected the non EFI option and I wonder if that is the problem
Probably — if the installer was not booted in UEFI mode then it will not install in UEFI mode and a UEFI Windows system would not be detected.

Toggling CSM or "Legacy" mode should allow you to switch between the operating systems.

Alternatively, reinstall Debian with the installer booted in UEFI mode (or convert the installed system to UEFI booting).
deadbang

johnbr8

Re: Dual boot but windows OS not detected [SOLVED]

#5 Post by johnbr8 »

I reinstalled Debian by booting the installation DVD in UEFI mode; Windows was detected and I now have a working dual boot. Thanks for your help.

mondharris

Re: Dual boot but windows OS not detected [SOLVED]

#6 Post by mondharris »

Thanks UEFI mode was the correct way to install, I now too has a dual boot OS. Thank you!