Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bootloader Disappeared

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Yarnation

Bootloader Disappeared

#1 Post by Yarnation »

I run Debian 8 exclusively with no WIndows even as a side partition. When testing a live version of Windows 7 on USB for work, I noticed it was running "Automatic Repair" but didn't think much of it until after I reset the BIOS to boot back by HD and received DIsk Boot Failure. My hard drive is ok and is recognized if I were to do a hypothetical back-up, but my laptop no longer recognizes the Debian loader anymore.

I'm not entirely sure what happened and how I can fix it without worries of me deleting all my previous files and settings.

Help? Thank you in advance.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Bootloader Disappeared

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Are you booting in UEFI mode? If so then check if Secure Boot is disabled, Debian cannot boot otherwise.

You could try using the Debian ISO image to repair the bootloader:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 07.html.en
deadbang

Yarnation

#3 Post by Yarnation »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Are you booting in UEFI mode? If so then check if Secure Boot is disabled, Debian cannot boot otherwise.

You could try using the Debian ISO image to repair the bootloader:

Yes, it is on EUFI, with secure boot disabled. I'll try the ISO image and see how it goes from there. Thank you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For a UEFI system it may be that Windows has changed the NVRAM entries, you can view these from the "live" environment (or the installer rescue shell, I think) by using

Code: Select all

efibootmgr
The `-o` flag can be used to change the boot order, check the man page for details.
deadbang

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

Software which makes changes to your computer without your consent is generally regarded as malware. In future, if you must, run them in confined space, like a virtual machine.

Debian_purist

#6 Post by Debian_purist »

^
Nice advice :!:

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

Unfortunately, for many Windows is necessary, usually to run proprietary software for work. Most businesses use Windows-based money-management software, for instance. I myself found it necessary to boot into Windows about six months ago in order to program a new mouse to stay lit a steady green. The software to do that runs under WINE but, like most such proprietary hardware configuration tools, won't communicate with the hardware! My plan is to update Win7 one final time then disable its internet connection permanently and turn off updates. I'm already avoiding hardware that requires Windows support, the little mouse crawled through the cracks.

Debian_purist

#8 Post by Debian_purist »

^
:wink:

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, when you put mal ware on a USB stick, then plug the usb stick into the PC, the mal ware can and will start doing things, seems to me like good practice would be to not plug usb sticks containing mal ware into the PC.
If one must use mal ware, like all ready mentioned, in a isolated virtual environment, would be best.
Segfault wrote:Software which makes changes to your computer without your consent is generally regarded as malware. In future, if you must, run them in confined space, like a virtual machine.

Like wise, some people may not realize this, but using a usb stick that has mal ware on it plugged into a PC , is not wise, the mal ware can infect the usb stick, and later infect a clean system when plugged into another PC.

Debian_purist

#10 Post by Debian_purist »

confined space
LOL , :lol: :mrgreen: :P

millpond

#11 Post by millpond »

What I would try in this situation is to use a Live Stretch dvd, chroot into the drive and either reinstall, repair,or update grub.

I guess that Winbooger took out the grub MBR.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

millpond wrote:use a Live Stretch dvd, chroot into the drive and either reinstall, repair,or update grub
No need for the chroot, the Debian ISO images have a recovery option in the boot menu:

deadbang