Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual boot of Debian 9.6.0 + Windows 10 Pro on a 128gb SSD

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
deb-ian

Dual boot of Debian 9.6.0 + Windows 10 Pro on a 128gb SSD

#1 Post by deb-ian »

Hello!
I want to Install Debian and Windows 10 into my main 128gb SSD. Right now it only has Windows 10 installed and it left me 44.8gb of free space according to Windows Explorer. What I want to know is if they should fit fine in a 128gb SSD and also if the best choice is to first install Debian and then perform a new clean installation of Windows 10 Pro or if I can simply shrink the partition of windows 10 Pro with the Disk Management tool and it should be fine too.
Thank you :wink:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dual boot of Debian 9.6.0 + Windows 10 Pro on a 128gb SS

#2 Post by p.H »

It is not always possible to shrink a Windows system partition as much as you want. Even if it is possible, you should leave enough free space.
It is usually recommended to install Windows first, so that Debian can take over the boot process and add Windows to its boot menu.

llivv

#3 Post by llivv »

The Disk Manager windows app under administrative tools should show more of how each partition is used
win10 disk manager might possibly now include an ssd trim tool.
I wouldn't use the old defrag tool on an ssd

Dang win10 and all its assorted support uses 84GiBs :mrgreen:
Debian should be able to run comfortably of 30GiBs and 20GiBs for a minimal install.
I use 15GiBs for most of my Debian installs, minimal, minimal, minimal. And I have backups backups backups so that if and when I run out of space on one I have room to move around.

128GiBs should give enough space to run both although it might get a bit cramped eventually.
Dang 84GiBs
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

deb-ian

#4 Post by deb-ian »

Thank to both of you!
I've read the requirements on the Windows 10 website and it writes that Windows 10 Pro 64-bit requires 20gb, so maybe I have to clean up my os... ahaha :?
Okay so I'll install Windows 10 Pro first in order to allow Debian to recognize it! Now I have another question: What tool should I use for divide the SSD in two partitions? I want to give 60gb each (or around it) to both OSs, But I don't know if the "Media Creation Tool" from Microsoft allows me to do that. I'm thinking about a tool like Gparted (in its live edition) for do that, is it what I need? Or you guys suggest me to use something else?

llivv

#5 Post by llivv »

deb-ian wrote: Now I have another question: What tool should I use for divide the SSD in two partitions?
I would find the Windows 10 Disk Management tool first.
You want to be sure before you start cause you could have EFI, C partitions and a hidden restore partition.
It will show you what partitions you already have for windows, whatever that is. It will also let you shrink the windows main C: drive partition.
I'd use Windows tools for Windows partitions and Linux tools for linux partitions. Gparted works well.
But so does diskpart in the Debian installer (if you are using media to install Debian) I would use the installers tools, cause that is what they are build for..

maybe a simple howto like this is what you are looking for?
https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to ... bloatware/

Remember you have 80GiB used now so allocating 60MiB for Windows may not be enough as p.H mentions above. And Debian doesn't need 60GIB even with bloated Gnome....
good luck

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

Either use gparted from a recent Linux Live DVD (ie Mint, Stretch, etc) and apt install it if necessary
OR
Google for the recent HIRENS Boot DVD with Win10 PE Live. It will have the disk management apps to partition and format in both NTFS and EXT3,4
Of particular value is Macrium Reflect which will fix just about any Win boot problems if they should arise.

When partitioned, install Win10 first, and THEN install Linux in the second partition (ie, sda2)
Linux *will* overwrite the boot drive MBR, which should not be a problem, as it should bring up the Grub multiboot screen.
Just be aware that if ever Linux is damaged/removed - that Win may be unbootable - in which time the Macrium Reflect utils will fix the MBR and permit booting.

Personally I have only installed Win10 in a VM, and use Win7 here. So i do not know if there are additional complications from the latest M$ boogerware.
I have had multiboot running from a single partitioned disk.but when possible prefer a separate disk for each OS and booting directly from BIOS rather than grub - if the system supports it. In THAT option always remove the other hard drive when installing, and be wary of updates when reattached (Grub for Linux, UEFI or other boot related updates for Win).

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I remember Windows used to have a unmovable pagesys or something file that would impede shrinking its partition, but you could delete it, shrink the partition, and then it would get re-created. IDK if that's still the case, or if you just have a buttload of stuff installed.
MX Linux packager and developer

llivv

#8 Post by llivv »

I should have mentioned above that Disk Management can be found buried somewhere in the START menu
If you've ever seen that thing (win10 START menu) it's enough to get some to swear off wining 10> forever.

Steve, win is a racquet of loopholes. eula's nobody ever reads
in house addon applications for sale
Third party applications for sale
extensive antivirus for sale
debian currently free to download from the win10 store
other butchered Linux currently free to download from the win10 store

than there are the infamous updates to updates on top of updates
add it up and 80MiB's is conservative
such a deal ..... sounds almost to good to be true

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:when possible prefer a separate disk for each OS
Unless the two drives are an SSD and a hard disk. If you want decent performance with both systems, you want to install both on the SSD.
stevepusser wrote:I remember Windows used to have a unmovable pagesys or something file that would impede shrinking its partition
It also creates an unmovable hibernation file for suspend-to-disk. I had to remove it by disabling hibernation with a command I since forgot, maybe powerfcg. Both files were located at the middle of the system partition, preventing to shrink it by more than a half.