Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's your desktop environment of choice?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ferfykins

What's your desktop environment of choice?

#1 Post by ferfykins »

So atm i'm using gnome 3, but i'm not sure i like it....
What do you guys use?

^Debian desktop environments, that is......

bw123

Re: What's your desktop environment of choice?

#2 Post by bw123 »

there are a couple of polls check them out.
http://forums.debian.net/search.php?key ... ll+desktop
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't use a Desktop environment, they all kind of fail miserably these days. A window manager is much more efficient.
I like Openbox myself, and can even copy paste files, and directories to the Desktop directory, or any other dir , without any special tweaks, plugins, etc,...
Gnome is for those that don't know any better , (just my opinion) , I used to like Gnome, years ago, but it has changed, and no longer is of any use to me.
==== edited ==========
I never made or make my decisions based on what others like, or their favourites, in fact don't really care what is the most popular,nor what others use, I did my own testing (tried various DE's,etc) and research, and found that I like Openbox the best, TWM, CWM, and there are more, all are great WM s as well, ...just saying.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-01-12 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

Anything but gnome.
May the FORK be with you!

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

Openbox with Tint2 panel. I can configure them just about any way I want.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

KDE.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bspwm & xfce4-panel :)
deadbang

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#9 Post by Bloom »

I use XFCE on all of my desktop systems. On my servers, I use no desktop, just a text terminal. In fact, servers run headless so I connect to them via ssh.

Why XFCE for all of my desktops? I started out with Gnome, looked at KDE and Unity and migrated towards MATE when Gnome 3 proved to be incompatible with Gnome 2. Found it (at that time) too buggy, so I tried XFCE and I have never looked back. XFCE has, in my opinion, the perfect marriage between compact and features. Every visual aspect of the desktop can be changed via the GUI, and Debian with XFCE can run in as little as 80 MB of RAM: just don't start any applications then. :wink:
And most importantly: every new main version of XFCE was backwards compatible with previous versions. That's how it should be done.

What does it look like?

Image(<click for bigger picture)

Zjho

#10 Post by Zjho »

ferfykins wrote:So atm i'm using gnome 3, but i'm not sure i like it....
What do you guys use?
At risk of alienating those whose help i may need :D have found gnome 3 better designed than gnome 2 style Desktops for a fairly fast consumer desktop box. Would never use it on slower than a dual core 2.5Ghz cpu as things currently stand.
If new to gnome 3 check out extensions for it as they make a significant difference. Some can be found in Debian repo such as gnome-shell-extension-caffeine and gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock and some at https://extensions.gnome.org/ such as Hide top bar, No topleft hot corner and Workspaces to dock.

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Zjho wrote:gnome 3 better designed than gnome 2 style Desktops
+1

Once the user adapts to the paradigm and stops fighting it the workflow is beautiful, better than any other desktop, IMO.

Shame about the bloat though :D

EDIT: also, GNOME uses hardware acceleration so it can be faster than plain openbox on a machine with a half-decent GPU.
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by None1975 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:also it can be faster than plain openbox
Oh no...how about JavaScript for GNOME Shell?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

None1975 wrote:how about JavaScript for GNOME Shell?
Well, if you know js then you can make GNOME dance like a chained bear 8)
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

No, gone back to dwm, I can't stand all those extra processes to read the battery, control the volume and all that domestic stuff that I can cover with a POSIX one-liner in dwm.
deadbang

piperdan

#15 Post by piperdan »

Ask 10 people, will likely get 10 different answers. But since you asked.....KDE-Plasma for me. 8)

Update:
It seems I usually read negative comments about Gnome 3, but just to see for myself and maybe expand my horizons a bit, I've tried using Gnome 3 over the past few weeks..........and I must say, the new/different pattern of interfacing with my desktop is growing on me, especially when working with multiple applications or windows. I've grown to like just hitting the super key to see or go where I want, as opposed to constantly alt-tabbing, clicking on the panel tray icon, or minimizing windows. Really don't have a use to minimize anymore, which was really different for me.

I had to add a couple of extensions to Gnome get the eye-candy effects I wanted, but I also had to add extra themes to my plasma to get it to look the way I wanted. I understand KDE uses less resources, but they both feel equally quick on my laptop (16 GB Ram with SSD). KDE has awesome applications, except for two that I just could not get to work well for me, and finally just gave up on: Kontact and Korganizer. Gnome's equivalent, Evolution, just works without a hitch for me.

Lesson for me was, don't just go by other's opinions.......try them yourself and see what YOU like.
Last edited by piperdan on 2019-03-27 21:13, edited 2 times in total.

Wheelerof4te

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

BUMP

GNOME, because it's the most modern-looking DE Linux community has. And it's usually the first to get all those shiny new features (Wayland, systemd, pulseaudio, pipewire). Sometimes it removes some outdated concepts from the 90's, like desktop icons or systray. :mrgreen:

To be serious now, I really contemplate switching to something more sane, like MATE again. But reinstalling Stretch and upgrading it all the way to Sid is too much for now.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#17 Post by Bloom »

If you want Sid, don't start with Stretch. Download the iso voor Testing (Buster) and then you can upgrade that to Sid without too much hassle.

xepan

#18 Post by xepan »

I guess my answer would be: a command prompt to open applications in full screen, one app per desktop.
whichever window manager does that simple task i don't care for, openbox comes with pretty much nothing, so that is what i use right now.

xfce is a good DE in my book. The others i don't even understand anymore.

anticapitalista

#19 Post by anticapitalista »

No desktop-environment - herbstluftwm for me.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

bester69

#20 Post by bester69 »

piperdan wrote:Ask 10 people, will likely get 10 different answers. But since you asked.....KDE-Plasma for me. 8)
If you seek for the best one, Its KDE-Plasma.. (dolphin, kmail and kde-connect make the difference).. the rest of desktops are more or less the same similar crap
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...