Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Who else loves Google Voice reminders?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Who else loves Google Voice reminders?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

I love google voice reminders/Alarms, so cool and confortable..: hey, Ok Google!! Remind me to buy some breath tomorrow morning at 10 am
- Ok, Google!!, remind me to take out some money at 19
- Ok , Google!!, remind me, Mondays and thursdays to go for a walk..
- Ok , Google!!, remind me, every Sunday to take out the dog for a walk.

- Ok, Google!! Alarm in 40 minits
- Ok, Google!! Alarm at 7

Its really great :D , It works!
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Who else loves Google Voice reminders?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I hate them, talking to a computer is just weird.
deadbang

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

What's Google? You mean that ignorant internet giant which thinks people should find only google-approved sites on the net?

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

I have to say that I am not very impressed by things like google assistant etc. For example, someone was really exited about the fact that you can have one of these vendor lock-inning cloud companies read a book for you (if you don't want to read it on your e-reader). Simple linux and android programs have been able to do that using tts engines for who knows how long. I have been doing it for a more than 5 years (when I had to drive a long distance to work and wanted to read articles). Similarly, any calendar program that exists allows you to set reminders. Scriptable ones are even easier to use than via speaking. Heck, you can even use systemd timers or cron or whatever. You can display a message or have the machine mail you when you need. I don't see what benefit comes from selling all knowledge of my usage patterns and habits to google to get in return services that are basically web/cloud apps of stuff that can be done with tech and software that I own myself? There needs to be something in it for me also, right?

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Alexa, Cortana, some_other_stupid_assistant...
Soon, people will talk to their computers more than they talk to family. If you can't be organized without these "assistants", maybe you need to work on that. Or chill out a bit.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by NFT5 »

Meh. Already have a much more advanced system.

"Hey Wife...."

Most of the time the system doesn't even need programming. :lol:

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I hate them, talking to a computer is just weird.
I understand you, I feel the same, but I cant waste any time and efforts by setting trivials alarms/reminders by typing them..It doesnt worth that kind of effort to me. ...The thing change when you just talk to phone to create them, that kind of effort worth it. :o
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

NFT5 wrote:Meh. Already have a much more advanced system.

"Hey Wife...."

I hope to get one of theses eventually, I feel so jealous... :P , Hey Wife... :mrgreen:

Danielsan

#9 Post by Danielsan »

It is an entire month that I am trying to deactivate Gugl voice assistant from my phone but it is actually impossible... :shock:

By the way where is the biggest deception or trick?
On internet you can find a keynote video where the Gugl CEO shows a demonstration of a gugl assistant taking an appoint to an hair cutter for you... Cool, sensationally... Yep sensationally stupid! :roll:

This is the same when in a building allotment the developer start to build the first houses far away from your view and it sell the latter as selling point until you discover is planning to build other houses in front of you, but you were already tricked. As the same kind, how long is going to take Gugl to create a second assistant which is going to reply at the first one, and then we get the apotheosis of Gugl, two assistants that are spending your money on the Gugl services for the benefits of Gugl while you are still convinced that you are tricking the other person that is thinking the same as you.

Thank you Gugl for all this crap! :oops:

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

TWO decades ago this kind of thing was coming to a voice assisted desktop near you! That promise quickly got buried with carry on devices as the industry took everyone willing or not into the clouds. I'd like it if I hosted the horsepower Dragon Warp style and *it* only went online when I ask her to.

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

Never heard of it until just now. Does not sound like something I would like, or need, besides that I don't hear very well, and have no speakers on my PC, most of the things I might need to reminded about are not even related to internet and no reason or need to go online every time I need to be reminded about something.
I do enjoy chatting with my PC, but not by voice and ear, the keyboard and the terminal are just fine for that.

golinux

#12 Post by golinux »

Verbal interaction with a computer is creepy. Verbal interaction with google is even creepier and horrifying . . .
May the FORK be with you!

bester69

#13 Post by bester69 »

golinux wrote:Verbal interaction with a computer is creepy. Verbal interaction with google is even creepier and horrifying . . .
jajajaj You must get used to it, theses times are getting close, soon (in 10 or 15 years, I predict) we will have to interact with this kind of stuff.. drones already here (soon they will be in our skys), soon we will have robots and IA (quantum computes are the gate for IA systems).. Fortunely we were bornt in old and better times (truth any past time was better), not in future, lets hope all theses creepy things take so long to come (at least 20 or 30 years), and lets hope good aliens comes in time to save/help us from ourselves of all theses demonic things.

bester69

#14 Post by bester69 »

hehehe, but you're a fan of HAL9000.. , :mrgreen:

pylkko

#15 Post by pylkko »

You say that in 10 years everyone will be using this. Do you realize that right now there are also many technologies and software that everyone is using but I don't find that they give me any value. The reverse is also true, I use a python a lot at work, but nobody else does. Again I do this because I see that it gives me value (that other alternatives do not), not if other people do or don't use it.

So what is the added value in this case. For example, there is a very simple and easy to use reminder tool that was written in 1989 called "remind" in Debian.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529

and look at those commands, is typing that harder than saying it? What about the benefit of scripting?
In addition, simple GUI tools like gnome tasks can use either local or cloud services to create reminders and task lists...

I cannot see what it cannot do that this thing that you are all exited about and call "revolutionary" cannot. Except that in your alternative you are giving all your data to google for free. I think that if using voice were as convenient as you play it out to be in your overly exited confirmation biased way, you could probably with relative ease have your words converted to text by another app and pipe that to remind.

I am not the most paranoid person in the world, but it puts me off a little to know that the frequencies and overtones present in a humans voice are unique. Meaning that all voice samples that your device or any other devices gives to google can be identified as you and all the content can be analyzed to create a profile that describes everything about you, your health status, what kind of a diet you have, who are your friends and where you live by gps coordinates, where your work place is, how much time you are at work or at home, how much you earn, what you are ashamed of, if you have criminal offenses, who is related yo you, what music, restaurants, services you use etc. Affect can probably also be read from a voice sample of a person with deep learning (affect, like sad, happy, annoyed, scared etc.) What is the purpose of all that?´for me? what do I get from this?

bester69

#16 Post by bester69 »

pylkko wrote: I am not the most paranoid person in the world, but it puts me off a little to know that the frequencies and overtones present in a humans voice are unique. Meaning that all voice samples that your device or any other devices gives to google can be identified as you and all the content can be analyzed to create a profile that describes everything about you, your health status, what kind of a diet you have, who are your friends and where you live by gps coordinates, where your work place is, how much time you are at work or at home, how much you earn, what you are ashamed of, if you have criminal offenses, who is related yo you, what music, restaurants, ser,,,,,,What is the purpose of all that?´for me? what do I get from this?
We cant prevent this to happend eventually, cant we?; that's why I said, lets hope other more adavanced/spiritual extraterrestrial civilizations gets in time to help us to canalize/manage all this demonic stuff/technology.. I dont see our specie enought spiritual adavanced/ready to manage this stuff without destroing itself..
Nowadays we're in service of technology not otherwhise, as It should be..humans are using technologies cos they're given, not cos they need them, at the sametime we're evolutioning as a species in a very badly way follow the darkness path of robots and IA; Im afraid the new order might be real and being preparing in somewhere by some hidden ellites.. Fortunelly we wont see it alive but our childrens will do, but this dystopia will take event in near future unless some spiritual event correct our trajectory just in time (lets hope some advanced good aliens guide us in time, I dont see human being able to manage it without any help).

survival or self-destruction, fermi's parabola is getting close.

alan stone

#17 Post by alan stone »

bester69 wrote:I love google voice reminders/Alarms, so cool and confortable...
Its really great :D , It works!
The Goolag boys probably agree 100%.

pylkko

#18 Post by pylkko »

We cant prevent this to happend eventually, cant we?
Maybe not. But I take some kind of pride - still - in the fact that I know how to do stuff myself. I even serve my digital collection of music over VPN so I have my own personal "spotify without adds" when I'm on the road. All with a full open source stack. I've also created my own smart tv's and custom android roms and stuff. This is why I found Debian. I love this. But not enough to not admit it when this DIY open source stuff is not capable of competing with the alternatives. That's why I ask in all seriousness if you think there is a real benefit compared to the alternative. I am not entirely sure I understand your position, like do you really think it is qualitatively better; a complete paradigm shift or are you just saying this without any kind of substance to back it up, are you just "hyped"?. I realize that ultimately it is not, perhaps, smart to ask this question, since the answer might be unavailable. But I also happen to like the kind of philosophical questions that have no answers but only generate more questions.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by Hallvor »

"Hey Wife...."

While Wife can be practical, it has several drawbacks:

1. The documentation is incomplete, but even if it was complete, no one would fully understand it.
2. Wife has excellent data storage, but a bug causes Wife to save all your mistakes and remind you of them with regular intervals.
3. Wife won't let you upgrade to newer releases, even if they have fewer bugs, are better designed and are more stable.
4. You'll spend large amounts of money on Wife accessories.
5. You have to be careful not to give Wife the wrong command, or there may be an explosion.
6. In some cases, Wife can take your money, house, car and children.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Job

#20 Post by Job »

"Hey Wife...."

Just wonder if that system always follow your programs or non-programs :lol:
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD