Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gaming, Radeon, 3D

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
user12340

Gaming, Radeon, 3D

#1 Post by user12340 »

Hi guys!

Currently I'm trying to run a game on my system (debian stable amd64), so I enabled the multiarch, installed playonlinux, and the proper version of wine (what the winehq recommeded), but it's full of bugs, the 3D is terrible, so it doesn't run very well. I tried other wine versions, but it's useless. This is some kind of problem of the graphical settings, I mean I use and older amd card, BUT this game was running properly on the same PC when I used archlinux with the same graphical card, and the same wine version.

I assume I should do something with the radeon config. Honestly? I just installed the linux-firmware-nonfree metapack, and that's it.

So do you have any idea what should I do with it? Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks for the answers!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gaming, Radeon, 3D

#2 Post by Hallvor »

What hardware have you got?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

jibberjabber

#3 Post by jibberjabber »

This is humor at it's best, thank you for the entertainment, and games are really fun also.
Does anyone have the same problem?
I think maybe I do, this game did not work on my system either, but the other game did, but I am not sure if that game you are talking about is the same as this game on my brothers laptop, that game does not work, but on my uncles PC, it does, but then another game does not work on that one either. But it does on my sisters laptop,... Do you have this problem as well ?
===edit===
The hardware is a Del, and also a HP, and the other is a Acer , the one that works is the HP

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Can you run Windows under QEMU/KVM with a GPU passthrough?

You won't have to bother with WINE then and graphics performance is ~95% of that achieved on the bare metal, apparently (with better I/O and the ability to freeze Windows at a whim).
deadbang

user12340

#5 Post by user12340 »

Hallvor wrote:What hardware have you got?

I have an Acer Gateway DT55 with the default VGA (Radeon HD 4250), CPU AMD Athlon X2 260 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM and 300GB HDD. I use Debian Stretch (Xfce4).

user12340

#6 Post by user12340 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Can you run Windows under QEMU/KVM with a GPU passthrough?

You won't have to bother with WINE then and graphics performance is ~95% of that achieved on the bare metal, apparently (with better I/O and the ability to freeze Windows at a whim).

I don't use any virtualbox client. I used KVM once on Debian 8, but it killed the sound system, so I switched to Oracle Virtualbox. But nowdays Wine is completely enough for me. I am not sure about that, is 4GB RAM enough for this solution? And I have to read about this "GPU passthrough", I'm not too skilled with virtualization.

But I said, it should be some kind of Radeon config problem. I used the opensource ati driver (xf86-video-ati) on Arch, and that worked very well with 3D. The Debian wiki wrote something about how to increase 3D performance, but I don't get the point.

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

user12340 wrote:is 4GB RAM enough for this solution?
No, not really. And I think you need two graphics cards to pass one through to the VM.
it should be some kind of Radeon config problem
Yes, looks like it :?

Do you have all of the required packages installed?

Code: Select all

apt policy firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati
EDIT: and check dmesg(1) for the firmware being loaded, as per the wiki page.

EDIT2: do you have the 32-bit graphics stack packages installed?
deadbang

user12340

#8 Post by user12340 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
user12340 wrote:is 4GB RAM enough for this solution?
No, not really. And I think you need two graphics cards to pass one through to the VM.
it should be some kind of Radeon config problem
Yes, looks like it :?

Do you have all of the required packages installed?

Code: Select all

apt policy firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati
EDIT: and check dmesg(1) for the firmware being loaded, as per the wiki page.

All required packages are install properly, and loaded by default, but I appreciate your help. :)

I think I'm still trying for a while. I remember once when I tested a Debian based distro (it was based on Debian Testing) the gaming was fairly well. Hmm... maybe I should pick up the Testing repo if I don't find anything else about Radeon.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

user12340 wrote:maybe I should pick up the Testing repo
Don't mix stable & testing unless you really know what you're doing.

Debian buster is under the transition freeze now and there is an alpha-5 installer available so you could perhaps try that.
deadbang

user12340

#10 Post by user12340 »

EDIT2: do you have the 32-bit graphics stack packages installed?
I didn't reinstall the firmwares after I enabled the multiarch. I did it only with the wine.

I will try it. Thanks for the idea! :D

user12340

#11 Post by user12340 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Debian buster is under the transition freeze now and there is an alpha-5 installer available so you could perhaps try that.

Stability is one of the main reasons why I'm a debian fan. So that should be the last option. I'm reckless guy.

EDIT: I'm NOT a reckless guy.

user12340

#12 Post by user12340 »

One more question: How can I install the 32-bit graphics stack packages?

So the firmware-linux-nonfree metapack is installed both on 64bit and 32bit. But the libgl1-mesa-dri and the xserver-xorg-video-ati are installed only on 64bit. I wanted to reinstall them (just like I did with the wine: apt-get remove wine, apt-get autoremove, apt-get install wine) but the autoremove wants to delete the networkmanager...

Once when I was a newbie, I accidentally removed the networkmanager with an autoremove, so the whole network died and I had to reinstall my system. So, I'm very cautious with these things... :)

Any idea?

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

user12340 wrote:How can I install the 32-bit graphics stack packages?
Why not ask a search engine? They seem to know most things :)

The Debian wiki page on MultiArch is probably the best reference.
the autoremove wants to delete the networkmanager
Don't use autoremove then, maybe?

Or see http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=104157
deadbang

user12340

#14 Post by user12340 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
user12340 wrote:How can I install the 32-bit graphics stack packages?
Why not ask a search engine? They seem to know most things :)

The Debian wiki page on MultiArch is probably the best reference.
the autoremove wants to delete the networkmanager
Don't use autoremove then, maybe?

Or see http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=104157

Okay, I get a point, this is especially my fault. But I just came from Arch and Debian wiki is usually not too detailed. Hmm... is this a good excuse? I don't think so... :D So, sorry about it, and thank you for your help. :D