Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Lotus Notes 7.0.1 on debian 3.1

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
John Smolenaers

Installing Lotus Notes 7.0.1 on debian 3.1

#1 Post by John Smolenaers »

Here's the procedure I created for our Debian 3.1 users ono how to install Lotus Notes 7.0.1

INSTALLING LOTUS NOTES 7.0.1 ON DEBIAN 3.1 (SARGE)

PREREQUISITES
This procedure is based on a standard Debian 3.1 (Sarge) Desktop installation using the Linux kernel 2.4 with Gnome as the default Desktop Environment.
PROCEDURE
1. Copy the directory Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux Setup to /tmp or another location of your choice (if you do not know where Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux Setup folder is, contact Internal IT for the location). You can either use your favourite GUI file browser or from a new terminal window by typing;
cp Source/Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux Setup /tmp
2. From a terminal screen type in the following;
su root
and type in the root password when prompted.
3. Install the debian package libmotif3 by typing in;
apt-get install libmotif3
4. Create the file /etc/gre.conf by typing in;
nano –w /etc/gre.conf
or using your favourite text editor (e.g vi, emacs etc…). Insert the two following lines;
[1.7.8] <-------------- Version of Mozilla installed
GRE_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla <-------------- Path to location of Mozilla
then save and close the file. If using nano as your text editor, you can save and close the file using the key sequence;
Ctrl+X
Y
Enter
5. Create the directory /opt/IBM by typing in;
mkdir /opt/IBM
6. Change the permission of the directory /opt/IBM to allow all users to have write permissions by typing in;
chmod 777 /opt/IBM
7. Ensure the file /tmp/Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux Setup/setup_wct_platform.bin has execute permissions by typing in;
chmod 777 /tmp/Lotus\ Notes\ 7.0.1\ for\ Linux\ Setup/setup_wct_platform.bin
8. Exit as SU from the terminal screen by typing;
exit
and pressing;
Enter
9. Change to the Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux Setup directory by typing in;
cd /tmp/ Lotus\ Notes\ 7.0.1\ for\ Linux\ Setup
10. Start the installation for Lotus Notes 7.0.1 by typing in;
./setup_wct_platform.bin
11. After a short while, the “Installation wizard for IBM Workplace Managed Client” will open stating that it will install with the item “Lotus Notes Plugin”. Click Next to continue the installation.
12. Accept the terms and click Next.
13. Leave the “Directory Name:” as the default unless you know what you are doing then click Next.
14. Click Next again and the installation wizard will begin installing files.
15. Once the files have finished installing, click Next.
16. The wizard will close and open the “Setup wizard for IBM Workplace Manage Client” and begin installing more files. When it has almost finished, a new windows will open called “Installer” (this is the Lotus Notes plugin installer).
17. Accept the terms again and click Next.
18. The installer will install the “Lotus Notes Application Plugin” files. Once it has finished, it will state that you need to logout and log back in. Ignore this and click Finish.
19. The “Setup wizard for IBM Workplace Manage Client” will finish and you can click Finish”.
20. Lotus Notes will open with two blank panes. Don’t panic, just close it as you need to set-up some environment variables and paths before it will work properly. Once closed, create the text file /home/<username>/.noteslauncher by opening a terminal window and typing in;
nano –w /home/<username>/.noteslauncher
or using your favourite text editor (e.g vi, emacs etc…). Insert the following lines;
#!/bin/sh
export NOTESBIN=/home/<username>/notes
export NOTESDATA=/home/<username>/notes/data
export NOTESDIR=/home/<username>/notes/data
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$NOTESBIN:$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin/classic:$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin:$NOTESBIN:$PATH
export CLASSPATH=./:$NOTESBIN/:$CLASSPATH
/opt/IBM/Workplace\ Managed\ Client/rcp/richclient -personality com.ibm.workplace.noteswc.standalone.linux.personality
then save and close the file. If using nano as your text editor, you can save and close the file using the key sequence;
Ctrl+X
Y
Enter

21. Ensure the file /home/<username>/.noteslauncher has execute permissions by opening a terminal window and typing in;
chmod 777 /home/<username>/.noteslauncher
22. On your desktop, go to the properties of the icon labelled IBM Lotus Notes by right clicking on it and selecting Properties from the context menu.
23. Select the Launcher TAB and change the Command: field to;
/home/<username>/.noteslauncher
Then click Close to close the properties window.
24. Launch Lotus Notes by double clicking on the IBM Lotus Notes icon on the desktop. Since this is the first time Lotus notes has been run, the Lotus Notes Client Configuration window will open at the Welcome screen.

char0x30

Etch?

#2 Post by char0x30 »

Has anybody done this in Etch? I cannot get past the "Cannot validate Mozilla version" box.

char0x30

Success on Etch

#3 Post by char0x30 »

I got it to work on Etch:

wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/n ... 1_i386.deb
dpkg -i libmotif3_2.2.3-1_i386.deb

tar -xzf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.12-gtk2+xft.tar.gz
mv mozilla /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12

echo -e "[1.7.12]\nGRE_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12" > /etc/gre.conf

Then follow John's instructions starting with step 5.

char0x30

Can not validate Mozilla version

#4 Post by char0x30 »

I tried the same thing on a different Etch install, and get the infamous "Can not validate Mozilla version" message. There is some magical trick to getting the installer to find Mozilla, but I'm not sure what it is.

Antonio

Installing IBM Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux on Debian 4.0

#5 Post by Antonio »

INSTALLING LOTUS NOTES 7.0.1 ON DEBIAN 4.0 (ETCH)

PREINSTALL PHASE:
Set up a working mozilla so Lotus Notes 7.0.1 can use its GRE (Geko Rendering Engine):
Download motiff library and install it:
wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/n ... 1_i386.deb
dpkg -i libmotif3_2.2.3-1_i386.deb

Download a suitable Mozilla version:
wget http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... xft.tar.gz
tar -xzf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.12-gtk2+xft.tar.gz
mv mozilla /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12

Create the legacy conf file that locates the GRE for the mozilla version you just installed.
echo -e "[1.7.12]\nGRE_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12" > /etc/gre.conf

Ensure that mozilla runs, go the the folder and execute it (in my case it did fail, thats why some people are installing notes but get two empty frames). I had to fix some librarys:
apt-get install libstdc++5
ln -s /usr/lib/libXmu.so.6 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3

Follow IBM install instructions:
1. Login as a non-root user.
2. Unzip the file personality.zip as non-root user into a directory such as "plugin" in a user's home
directory or other working directory. This could be a network-mounted directory if you want many
machines to be able to install from one updateSite.
#unzip Personality .zip –d plugin
3. Place the setuplinux.bin file in the correct directory, removing any existing one.
#cd
plugin/updateSite/features//com.ibm.workplace.notesinstall.linux.feature_7.0.1.0000-0900/bin/linux/
#rm setuplinux.bin
Copy the new setuplinux.bin file inside the above directory.
4. Choose the location for the Workplace Components
The default location for these components is /opt/IBM. To use this location, ensure the permissions
are set to 777 for the "IBM" directory. If this is not desired, please choose a location that is writeable,
such as within the user's home directory.
5. Start the installation process, first ensuring that the setup_wct_platform.bin has execute

permissions, by using the chmod command.

#cd plugin

#chmod 777 setup_wct_platform .bin

#./ setup_wct_platform .bin

6. The Installation process:
- Select Next on the Welcome screen
- The Software License window comes up, Select "I accept both the IBM and the non -IBM terms".
- The Installation window with the Workplace Managed Client directory comes up; make sure to
chose a location that the user has write permission to.
- Choose the defaults and Click Next, or choose another writeable directory and Click Next
- Click Next to start the installation on the window confirming that the Lotus Notes Plug-in will be
installed.
- Once the installation is done, a window appears saying that the files have successfully installed.
Click Next to start the Workplace Managed Client setup.
- You will then see the provisioning system provision the features and plug-ins needed for Notes.
- When it provisions the feature containing the Notes installer, you will be presented with the license
agreement for Notes. Select "I accept the terms of the license agreement " and Click Next.
- Once you click Next, the Notes Plug-in starts installing.
- Once the installer is finished, the wizard will require you to logout and log back in to get the Notes
environment variables set.
- Click Finish, and Click Finish again.
- Log out from the User session and log back in as the user you just installed Notes under.
- When you log back in you should have an "IBM Lotus Notes" icon on your desktop; double click the
icon.
- The Notes personality of the Workplace Managed Client will start using the Notes for Linux plug-in.
Notes setup will start, with dialogs asking for your Notes user information. Once you configure Notes
with the appropriate information, you are able to use Notes on Linux.

Fix start script if you are using Gnome:
You need to set-up some environment variables and paths before it will work properly. Create the text file /home/<username>/.noteslauncher by opening a terminal window and typing in;
nano –w /home/<username>/.noteslauncher
or using your favourite text editor (e.g vi, emacs etc…). Insert the following lines;
#!/bin/sh
export NOTESBIN=/home/<username>/notes
export NOTESDATA=/home/<username>/notes/data
export NOTESDIR=/home/<username>/notes/data
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$NOTESBIN:$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin/classic:$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin:$NOTESBIN:$PATH
export CLASSPATH=./:$NOTESBIN/:$CLASSPATH
/opt/IBM/Workplace\ Managed\ Client/rcp/richclient -personality com.ibm.workplace.noteswc.standalone.linux.personality
Ctrl+X
Y
Enter

Ensure the file /home/<username>/.noteslauncher has execute permissions by opening a terminal window and typing in;
chmod 777 /home/<username>/.noteslauncher

On your desktop, go to the properties of the icon labelled IBM Lotus Notes by right clicking on it and selecting Properties from the context menu.

Select the Launcher TAB and change the Command: field to;
/home/<username>/.noteslauncher
Then click Close to close the properties window.

Launch Lotus Notes by double clicking on the IBM Lotus Notes icon on the desktop. Since this is the first time Lotus notes has been run, the Lotus Notes Client Configuration window will open at the Welcome screen.

archie_leach

wrong font using Lotus Notes on Linux

#6 Post by archie_leach »

I installed the Lotus Notes4Linux as described by Antonio on a stable Debian 4.0 Etch on AMD64 with Gnome desktop.
During installation - at the point when the installation of the Lotus Notes Plugin starts - the font switched and only rectangles as letters are displayed (in the menu bar and on the buttons). The same after starting the application.

I think my system misses the correct font to display it. But which font do I need?

On the Lotus site I found the following requirements:
"The following fonts are required when using RedHat Enterprise Linux 4:
For CJK locales, the font 'ZYSong18030' is used as the system default font. If users do not install this font, provided by the RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 installation package, certain text layouts may be problematic. The detailed font information is below:
FileName: zysong.ttf
Font Name: ZYSong18030
Version: 2.01
Copyright: (c) Copyright ZhongYi Electronic Co., 2001

To achieve a stable display result, we recommend that all Notes users pre-install the 'Luxi Sans' font. Note that the 'Luxi Sans' font is generally available on almost all Linux platforms, and will usually be installed during Linux system installation. "

I installed the t1-xfree86-nonfree Debian-package which includes the font B&H Luxi Sans but this changes nothing in Notes.

Do someone has a solution?

frankh

#7 Post by frankh »

I followed the instructions in this thread exactly as they are written. When I try to start noes by clicking on the desktop icon, the startup image just stays on the screen, and nothing more happens.

As if that's not the worst of it - it cannot be killed. I try to kill the process, and it immediately starts anew, so the startup image never quits. I'll have to restart the X server now, so se if that helps.

I managed to get an error message, at least:

"error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Hmmm.....after fixing the above problem, I'm getting this one when trying to start it:

Code: Select all

(<unknown>:4792): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
DbFree: Freeing already-deallocated storage in /home/frank/notes/data/desktop6.ndk (Pos=532, Size=256)!
GetACP returns 1252
DbFree: Freeing already-deallocated storage in /home/frank/notes/data/Cache.NDK (Pos=532, Size=256)!

07/26/2007 03:22:37 PM  Lotus Notes client started
Stack base = 0xbfaa672c, Stack size = 6332 bytes
Fatal Error signal = 0x0000000b PID/TID = 4792/-1265779904
7/26/2007 15:22:38  Running NSD

rzr

#8 Post by rzr »

what about notes 8.0 ?