Auto login and `startx` without a display manager (systemd)

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Re: Auto login and `startx` without a display manager — jess

Postby Peripatus » 2018-11-22 13:09

Head_on_a_Stick, thank you!

FWIW, I can confirm that the procedure works, without modification, for my system running BunsenLabs Helium (i.e. ~Debian Stretch). :D

Makes for a real fast boot-to-GUI -- and near-instant resume from Suspend! Ideal for an older computer mainly used as an internet tv.

No upgrade-proofness tested yet.

[NB: To anyone else who initially mistypes their username in the override.conf file (no capital letters! :roll: ), and reboots to find only a blinking cursor: don't panic; hit Ctl+Alt+F2 to open an auxiliary terminal; login with the correct username and password; optionally start the GUI by typing startx; fix the typo in the file; reboot; enjoy the smoothness.]
Peripatus

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-22 17:27

Peripatus wrote:I can confirm that the procedure works, without modification, for my system running BunsenLabs Helium (i.e. ~Debian Stretch). :D

BunsenWhat? :mrgreen:

But anyway, yes, I've had it working in stretch and buster as well so I've changed the OP to reflect this.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugsDebian Reference Card

SharpBang GNU/Linux® — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Peripatus » 2018-11-23 16:25

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:BunsenWhat? :mrgreen:

Are you kidding me? :) Just noticed a rather active head on a stick over at the BunsenLabs forums...

Either way, I installed it just recently -- it's wonderful!

cheerio
Peripatus

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-23 20:57

Peripatus wrote:rather active

Not any more :mrgreen:

SharpBang GNU/Linux® — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Peripatus » 2018-11-24 14:41

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Peripatus wrote:rather active

Not any more :mrgreen:

Oh :? Should we take heed?
Peripatus

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-24 14:49

Peripatus wrote:Should we take heed?

No, not at all, BL is one of the more excellent distributions out there, I just prefer vanilla Debian :)

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Auto login and `startx` without a display manager (syste

Postby bedtime » 2019-01-30 18:51

I like how you dealt with issuing the startx command:

Code: Select all
[ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" ] && exec startx

You negated the need for an 'if' command—clever! Always nice to do a command as efficiently as possible! :)

Thanx!
bedtime

Postby nyu-98 » 2019-09-17 22:04

It's work , but now i see this in auth.log
gnome-keyring-daemon[640]: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: No such file or directory

i'm using debian 10 with mate desktop.

EDIT:
fixed with https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GN ... PAM_method
nyu-98

Postby mrowl » 2019-10-15 13:48

Hello All,
I followed the original howto and it worked fine for me with Debian 10.1 + Enlightenment DR16. I wanted to go further, though, and I don't know where to look at. My ultimate goal is to have the same Plymouth "theme" as I have in Enlightenment in that way the auto-logon executes and X starts at "the background" of the Plymouth skin (I see the Plymouth boot screen during the whole time and don't see any console output until I finally arrive to my E desktop) and when E16 starts I'd start also screen lock - this would effectively replace any DM for me but also gives some security measures.

My "very big" problem is that when bootup finishes, Plymouth closes the bootup screen and I can see the console autologin, including hostname and "Last login" lines. (Of course I could hide startx messages and motd easily.)

I understand that starting X includes changing the video driver and screen resolution so I don't expect a seamless transition from Plymouth screen to X's screen but I want to make this transition as smooth as possible (e.g. black screen for a second is OK). I couldn't find agetty parameter that suppress output and putting " > /dev/null 2&1" at the end of the systemd override file Exec line didn't help.

Do you have a tip where I should continue, please?
Thanks,
Mr 0wl
mrowl

Postby wizard10000 » 2019-10-15 14:13

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:No, not at all, BL is one of the more excellent distributions out there, I just prefer vanilla Debian :)

Same. My openbox install still uses a (slightly modified) #! theme :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby mrowl » 2019-10-15 17:47

mrowl wrote:My ultimate goal is to have the same Plymouth "theme" as I have in Enlightenment in that way the auto-logon executes and X starts at "the background" of the Plymouth skin (I see the Plymouth boot screen during the whole time and don't see any console output until I finally arrive to my E desktop)

I somewhat solved the above.

/etc/systemd/system/getty@.service.d/override.conf:
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -i -J --nohostname --skip-login --login-options "-f <username>" %I 38400 linux

...and I needed a touch ~/.hushlogin, too.

Now I only need to figure out how I can keep plymouth background on the screen further.
mrowl

Previous

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks