Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Virtualbox installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Chrisdb

Virtualbox installation

#1 Post by Chrisdb »

Hello,

Last night I tried to install debian stretch in virtualbox (Linux Host), but the installation process took more than 2 hours.
I had to terminate the installation because it was getting too late.

Is this a known problem, or did I miss something?

Also, how long does an installation of 'Stretch' normally take ?

Thx

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Virtualbox installation

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

It depends on what you are installing and where you are installing it from.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Chrisdb

#3 Post by Chrisdb »

What you are installing: Debian stretch with Gnome
Where you are installing it from: Virtualbox v6.0.4-1 (on Arch Linux)

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I can't answer your question directly but I would advise against using VirtualBox, both in general (it's crap) and specifically for Debian stretch (it's so crap that the Debian developers removed it just before the release: https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all) — try QEMU/KVM instead.
deadbang

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

Chrisdb wrote:Also, how long does an installation of 'Stretch' normally take ?
I can usually perform a full install in less than 15 minutes, if it is particularly old hardware (probably not the case here as you are using VirtualBox) it could take longer.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I've had it take that long, on not particularly old hardware, but with a comparatively slow Net connection. Virtual Box slows down the install quite a bit compared to a bare-metal install, too.

There are Debian derivatives that just blast an image onto the disk without getting anything from the Net, though--MX and antiX are ones that I know well. That takes about five minutes.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2019-02-25 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

Yes, I should have added that I use either live images or full install images to keep installation time down.

eor2004

#8 Post by eor2004 »

@ Chrisdb: Hi, I just followed the instructions from here: https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox#Debi ... Stretch.22 and I was able to install Virtualbox for debian stretch, just follow the instructions for your debian version, hope this helps, good luck!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

eor2004 wrote:@ Chrisdb: Hi, I just followed the instructions from here: https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox#Debi ... Stretch.22 and I was able to install Virtualbox for debian stretch, just follow the instructions for your debian version, hope this helps, good luck!
You have it a bit mixed up, the OP is installing a Debian guest in Virtual Box running on Arch...

eor2004

#10 Post by eor2004 »

Oh, Ok sorry, my bad. :P
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

_nobody_

#11 Post by _nobody_ »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I can't answer your question directly but I would advise against using VirtualBox, both in general (it's crap) and specifically for Debian stretch (it's so crap that the Debian developers removed it just before the release: https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all) — try QEMU/KVM instead.
:shock: Wrong, Head! I (present time) install with VBox VMM Debian Buster VM using my proprietary pre-seeded scripts for circa 20 minutes (on my tiny duo-core notebook). All this goes seamlessly (in the meantime I do other stuff, or rest watching TV)!

Hey, Head... You just have to understand. And you do NOT (small head on the stick)! :lol:

_nobody_

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

He's not wrong about KVM/QEMU being better than VBox. Try it before casting aspersions. The virt-manager GUI makes it fairly simple.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

As a ex Virtualbox user, I must agree with H_O_A_S, and Sunrat,... For years I had been using VirtualBox, and never all that happy with it, used it with Debian 6, and 7, then when I switched to a non systemd OS, Virtualbox was not available in their packages, but QEMU and KVM were, well, to make a long story short, I am so impressed with QEMU, I will/would never go back to Virtualbox, even if it was available in the packages,...
by Chrisdb »Also, how long does an installation of 'Stretch' normally take ?
If it is with a netinstall ISO, for me that is impossible as well, my ISP is to slow, and it takes forever, or never completes, But I downloaded a CD live image, but no Gnome, XFCE instead, ( I had to use a internet cafe in the city to do that), any way it took about the same 15 min, maybe less, to install to a QEMU VM, Gnome is a extremely bloated DE, so I suppose it might take a little longer, .... I would at least try QEMU, before bashing it, the OP might be surprised at the differences, not sure that it would make any difference on the install time for the Debian guest or not, we would need to see some hardware specs on the host system, also, if it is a netinstall, and the OP does not have a very good ISP, that could be why it is so slow. I am tempted to say some other things, but don't want to be rude or a troll.

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

GarryRicketson wrote:..., then when I switched to a non systemd OS, Virtualbox was not available in their packages, ...
Just to be clear, VBox does not require systemd.

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

I did not say it did, but, maybe my grammar is bad or something, the point being that the other OS does not have VB available in it's packages, so I used QEMU because that is what they did have, and I am glad it happened, I might not have ever tried qemu if it had not been for the fact that it was not available . The OS I switched to is a non systemd OS, but no where did I say it needs or requires systemd,... Why are you trying to make it sound like I said something that I didn't ?

_nobody_

#16 Post by _nobody_ »

stevepusser wrote:Just to be clear, VBox does not require systemd.
Seems that some (everyday more and more) people complain about systemd. I have myself some problems with it. Since I am somehow ignorant to it, time to focus to systemd a bit. It is a complex systems package, with a lot of dependencies. :shock:

_nobody_

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

GarryRicketson wrote:I did not say it did, but, maybe my grammar is bad or something, the point being that the other OS does not have VB available in it's packages, so I used QEMU because that is what they did have, and I am glad it happened, I might not have ever tried qemu if it had not been for the fact that it was not available . The OS I switched to is a non systemd OS, but no where did I say it needs or requires systemd,... Why are you trying to make it sound like I said something that I didn't ?
I'm not, but those that don't like systemd will take your words that way. Just trying to cut them off at the pass.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

Seems irrelevant to even mention it in the context of this thread. sunrat dons tinfoil hat before golinux appears :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

Was writing when sunrat replied, yes, it is irrelevant, for sure, apology on my part, wish I could go back and edit, well I could but it would make the replies not make sense,...
@steve
Oh, ok, and yea, you have a good point there, I did not even think about that, but I see what you mean now, It didn't even occur to me , that would happen. Sorry about that,
and to clarify more, I also am not complaining about systemd, never have complained about it, QEMU seems to work much better , then Virtual Box to me, and it is easier to configure , in my opinion any way, it would be interesting if the OP could try QEMU, and see if Debian 9 installs any faster on it, ...... To be honest, I suspect the hardware of the host system may be the problem, and just not enough ram, or ,.????