Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No Wifi

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
asd345

No Wifi

#1 Post by asd345 »

Hi,

I have debian 9.6, kernel 4.9..9-7amd64 and an acer aspire v371.

I have one sometimes wifi and tons of errors when shutting down. only restarting helps. What to do? I am an utter noob, how can I post the relevant log?

Thanks!

Ph

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: No Wifi

#2 Post by arochester »

This one? https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... r%20V3-371

If it is, the wifi should just work.

Is it just your system or is the problem reproducible?

It might help if you can tell us exactly what the error messages are.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

asd345 wrote:how can I post the relevant log?
See journalctl(1) for details of the logging system and how to filter the output.

To post it here, copy&paste the output and use code tags to aid readability.
deadbang

asd345

#4 Post by asd345 »

[quote="arochester"]This one? https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... r%20V3-371

thanks, but how to install this? Sorry, really dont get it.

There are no error messages realy, the wifi just stopps as soon as i move the computer, even a bit. Not out of reach, just any movement. And sometimes just without reason. Then the wifi is off and cant be put on again.

Thanks

asd345

#5 Post by asd345 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
asd345 wrote:how can I post the relevant log?
See journalctl(1) for details of the logging system and how to filter the output.

To post it here, copy&paste the output and use code tags to aid readability.
Sorry, this is waaaay over my head. Is there any comment to post a log?

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Try paste.debian.net I think it has a clicky interface. Or if you look in a log file and see something interesting, just use the mouse and copy/paste just the good part instead of the whole file.

Why don't you just ID the device and look it up on the net?

Sometimes there's a button or key combo that turns wifi off, and they usually are either hard to find, or right in the wrong spot where you can hit it accidentally.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

asd345 wrote:the wifi just stopps as soon as i move the computer, even a bit. Not out of reach, just any movement. And sometimes just without reason.
Perhaps check if the wireless card is seated properly in the socket? It may have worked loose somehow.
deadbang

asd345

#8 Post by asd345 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
asd345 wrote:the wifi just stopps as soon as i move the computer, even a bit. Not out of reach, just any movement. And sometimes just without reason.
Perhaps check if the wireless card is seated properly in the socket? It may have worked loose somehow.
Thanks, checked, does not seem unusual.

asd345

#9 Post by asd345 »

bw123 wrote:Try paste.debian.net I think it has a clicky interface. Or if you look in a log file and see something interesting, just use the mouse and copy/paste just the good part instead of the whole file.

Why don't you just ID the device and look it up on the net?

Sometimes there's a button or key combo that turns wifi off, and they usually are either hard to find, or right in the wrong spot where you can hit it accidentally.

Sorry, completely do not understand. I dont know where the log file is or how to post it. And what is "ID the device"?

Sorry, total newbie.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Based on your other answers, did you actually take the back off of the machine and verify that the little wi-fi mini PCI card was firmly seated and the antenna leads firmly attached...truly and for sure? Maybe the hotkey combo to turn off the wi-fi is somehow on a hair trigger, too?

If you have another operating system installed, such as Windows, installed, does the same problem occur when you nudge the machine? How about about in a Debian (or other Linux) Live session from a USB stick?
MX Linux packager and developer

asd345

#11 Post by asd345 »

stevepusser wrote:Based on your other answers, did you actually take the back off of the machine and verify that the little wi-fi mini PCI card was firmly seated and the antenna leads firmly attached...truly and for sure? Maybe the hotkey combo to turn off the wi-fi is somehow on a hair trigger, too?

If you have another operating system installed, such as Windows, installed, does the same problem occur when you nudge the machine? How about about in a Debian (or other Linux) Live session from a USB stick?
Tanks, yes, I opened it and check and cleaned all. And yes, it occurs on linux from a stick as well.

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

There are some good threads on the forum that can help. Use the search function. It should not be a 5-day experience, but sometimes there are difficult devices. It's a steep learning curve, but it's possible for a total beginner to understand. Start with the wiki.
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Look for the HowToIdentifyADevice... links and once you ID the device you know how to narrow your search from " no wifi" to "no wifi on specific device"
resigned by AI ChatGPT

asd345

#13 Post by asd345 »

bw123 wrote:There are some good threads on the forum that can help. Use the search function. It should not be a 5-day experience, but sometimes there are difficult devices. It's a steep learning curve, but it's possible for a total beginner to understand. Start with the wiki.
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Look for the HowToIdentifyADevice... links and once you ID the device you know how to narrow your search from " no wifi" to "no wifi on specific device"
Thank you, but you wildly overestimate my capacabilities. I dont even see where to typ what.

asd345

#14 Post by asd345 »

Thanks for all the answers, but something gerneral: I cant program. And, lets be honest, I wont lern it in this life. This includes 99% of all "terminal"-things. So if you can help me, please keep it simple and tell me what to write where.Thanks.

bw123

#15 Post by bw123 »

Using terminal is the best way, because it is the one consistent interface on all distributions and desktop configurations.

If you're just totally against terminal, and refuse to learn, it will really limit your options. Most help you will find on the internet will require using terminal to solve problems on gnu/linux. At the very least, you will need it to gather info so others can help you.

Maybe some support from a local user group or another linux user in person would be better?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Based on your answers, I have to sincerely doubt that Debian is the best choice for you to start learning Linux. :(
Some other Debian derivatives offer GUI front-ends to hardware information tools, and there are even some in the Debian repos, but you seem to be unwilling to learn even the basics--like learning to drive a car, but looking at the speedometer and staying under the limit is "too technical with all those numbers".
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1
asd345 wrote:tell me what to write where

Code: Select all

journalctl -r
^ This will show the logs in reverse order so run that command just after you experience the problem then copy&paste any error messages into a search engine.

You may have to run the command as root unless your normal user is a member of the systemd-journal group.
deadbang