Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo yoga 11S Hardware/software setup

Need help with peripherals or devices?
devind0

Lenovo yoga 11S Hardware/software setup

#1 Post by devind0 »

Hello. A customer recently gave me a Lenovo yoga 11S laptop running windows 10. I do not want to use windows 10, i wanted to get Debian installed. I usually install the XFCE variant of debian from the live CD.
The install ran through fine, and I am able to get to the login screen, but after typing in my login info, it just sits at the desktop background, nothing further loads and i never see the window manager / icons.
I can switch over to to a virtual terminal, the system is installed and working properly otherwise.

There is a nice guide on the laptop already on the debian wiki, however i have not been able to log in to the point i can configure any further hardware.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... Yoga%2011s

bw123

Re: Lenovo yoga 11S Hardware/software setup

#2 Post by bw123 »

You should include filename of the exact image you installed from in the post, and anything unusual about the install like encryption, lvm, multiple disks, etc...

I would probably try to restart the display-manager.service from tty. You can use systemctl to check it's status. If that does not work, you could check that xfwm and/or xfdesktop are running, or maybe confirm that lightdm is launching the correct xsession. The logging is in journalctl, and that will have a clue surely about what is going on. There was also a nasty bug about entropy that hung a lot of systems, but I believe it only affected testing/buster, and only on some systems or kernels.

I found several other suggestions searching for xfce+"no desktop" on search engine, did you do any searches to try and solve it already?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Is there anything in the Xorg log?
deadbang

devind0

#4 Post by devind0 »

Sorry to waste time here. I suspected a corrupted install image. Upon Reinstalling the system is functioning properly and I am able to use the desktop.