Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian netinst in a VM

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Moltke

Debian netinst in a VM

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :) One of my computing hobbies is creating VMs (virtual machines) with virtualbox and/or qemu, this time I created one and installed Debian stretch using the netinst .iso, which I have before, only this time decided to use awesome window manager instead of any other DE like I usually do. My goal with this VM is to build a system with very few GUI programs, i.e. I installed Links instead of Firefox or Chromium, ranger instead of thunar or nautilus. This is the first time I do this and I'm really not sure what other packages are needed. I have used CentOS core, Slackware and Arch, built the system up from the ground but always installed some DE, for a few years now xfce has become my DE by choice, anyway, thing is I know that by installing a DE many packages needed by the system to handle certain tasks are pulled in as well, so what I'm asking is, without a DE, what packages do I need in order to handle most common task? For example, I want to install guest additions but when click on "insert guess additions iso image" nothing happens, it doesn't show up on media, run or mnt. Any help/advice is really appreciated. Thanks in advance for your answers! :)

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian netinst in a VM

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Moltke wrote:without a DE, what packages do I need in order to handle most common task?
That depends on what you mean by "common task", I favor a bare minimal desktop (dwm) and I need very little to do what I want:

Code: Select all

empty@shinken:~/git/ps_mem $ su -c './ps_mem.py '                                  
 Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used       Program

220.0 KiB +  47.5 KiB = 267.5 KiB       startx
212.0 KiB +  82.5 KiB = 294.5 KiB       atd
244.0 KiB + 137.5 KiB = 381.5 KiB       xinit
252.0 KiB + 137.5 KiB = 389.5 KiB       slstatus
308.0 KiB + 173.5 KiB = 481.5 KiB       cron
404.0 KiB + 131.5 KiB = 535.5 KiB       dbus-launch
600.0 KiB + 236.5 KiB = 836.5 KiB       irqbalance
544.0 KiB + 519.5 KiB =   1.0 MiB       su
712.0 KiB + 466.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB       login
  1.1 MiB + 178.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB       mksh-static (3)
976.0 KiB + 489.5 KiB =   1.4 MiB       systemd-logind
892.0 KiB + 622.5 KiB =   1.5 MiB       dwm
  1.0 MiB + 539.5 KiB =   1.5 MiB       systemd-timesyncd
  1.5 MiB + 121.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB       systemd-udevd
  1.1 MiB + 842.0 KiB =   1.9 MiB       dbus-daemon (2)
  1.9 MiB + 529.5 KiB =   2.4 MiB       systemd-journald
  2.3 MiB + 316.5 KiB =   2.6 MiB       systemd-networkd
  4.1 MiB + 696.5 KiB =   4.7 MiB       systemd-resolved
  5.5 MiB + 114.5 KiB =   5.6 MiB       wpa_supplicant
  2.9 MiB +   3.8 MiB =   6.7 MiB       systemd (3)
  9.0 MiB +   2.2 MiB =  11.2 MiB       x-terminal-emul (2)
 40.5 MiB +   8.3 MiB =  48.8 MiB       Xorg
494.5 MiB + 106.9 MiB = 601.4 MiB       firefox-esr (4)
---------------------------------
                        697.9 MiB
=================================
empty@shinken:~/git/ps_mem $
^ That's all I'm using right now, the dbus stuff is auto-launched by Firefox so I wouldn't even need that with a text browser.

A few notes:
Links
Have you tried links2?

It has a "graphical" mode that displays pictures and anti-aliased text, launch it with

xlinks2
I want to install guest additions
There is no VirtualBox package in stretch and so no guest additions, stick with QEMU/KVM. VirtualBox is full of holes anyway.

Nice desktop btw.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

---without a DE,
what packages do I need in order to handle most common task?
and I tried reading the rest but can not make much sense of it all, seems like you are asking a lot of things,or trying to tells us some thing, but I don' get the point of it.
And, the question:
Makes me wonder if you are serious, or joking with us. To start with it does not matter if you use a DE or a WM, that does not affect what packages you need. the part that makes me think you are just joking with us, How on earth do you expect any one to know what packages you need, ? Only you can know what you need, this is ridicules, (sorry if I sound rude, but honestly), You don't even tell us what the common tasks you wish to perform are.
Even a base install, with no WM or DE, all ready includes packages and commands for the most common tasks, including a text editor, the basic linux commands,etc.
many packages needed by the system to handle certain tasks are pulled in as well,
Here we go again, What are these certain tasks, I certainly do not know what certain tasks you wish to perform, but there probably is a command for many of them, you must be kidding with us :?:
One of my computing hobbies is creating VMs (virtual machines) with virtualbox and/or qemu, this time I created one and installed Debian stretch using the netinst .iso, which I have before, only this time decided to ---snip----
I don't use Virtual Box, and it is obvious you have not yet tried QEMU, if you were using QEMU, you would not have the need to be fooling around with trying to install "guest additions",
Did you even try doing some searches on this:
I want to install guest additions but when click on "insert guess additions iso image" nothing happens
One of the many results, maybe the most relevant:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91390
Also, maybe you would find better answers about using Virtual Box, on their forum, that is why they have it.

Moltke

#5 Post by Moltke »

and I tried reading the rest but can not make much sense of it all, seems like you are asking a lot of things,or trying to tells us some thing, but I don' get the point of it.
And, the question:
Hmmm...sorry about the messy post, I kind of knew it'd look like that but I was hoping that you could make sense of it. My bad, my sinceres apologies. By common tasks I mean being able to do things like installing guess additions, which involves mounting the cd rom and play its content.
How on earth do you expect any one to know what packages you need, ? Only you can know what you need, this is ridicules, (sorry if I sound rude, but honestly)
Yes, you sound unneccesarily rude, cause you're being rude. I realized I couldn't express what I wanted to say. I never meant to joke. I guess I wanted to say something like: "hey guys, I just installed Stretch using the netinst .iso and awesome wm on top of it in virtualbox, besides the basic tools, is there anything else you'd recommend to install for an almost full command line environment?" or something like that. Sorry I couldn't make it before.
I don't use Virtual Box, and it is obvious you have not yet tried QEMU, if you were using QEMU, you would not have the need to be fooling around with trying to install "guest additions
I have tried QEMU. Not in this case but I have created several VMs with QEMU too.

Thanks @Head_on_a_Stick for your kind answer. It helped me a lot. And I'm really sorry about the messy post, now I realize I was having a desktop oriented thinking, it that makes any sense. I mean...I guess since this is the first time I'm using a system without a desktop which means no thunar, no dialog boxes asking whether to mount, open, what to do with x device...all those things I'm used to do in xfce, although I do have awesome too but then I can use all of the xfce tools as well. Anyway, Thanks again for your answer and sorry for the inconvenience. :D
Have you tried links2?

It has a "graphical" mode that displays pictures and anti-aliased text, launch it with
CÓDIGO: SELECCIONAR TODO

xlinks2
No, I haven't but while I was googling for "command line tools" or something like that I read about it and thought of trying it, which I will. Thanks for suggesting it.

Moltke

#6 Post by Moltke »

@Head_on_a_Stick I've Just installed and been playing around with links2, pretty good for a console web browser. Thanks again for suggesting it! :D

Moltke

#7 Post by Moltke »

I figured out how to install guest additions. After some googling and reading I was able to come out with a solution. Now I'm able to change/adjust screen resolution as well as to share a folder with the host system :) check it out!

Now I'd like to add some transparency to the terminal, installed compton for that but it didn't work. I use awesome in my real pc and it works. I used the same configuration; added it in awesome's rc.lua file as autostart but guess I'm missing something :?