Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which hardware?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Munty Scruntfundle

Which hardware?

#1 Post by Munty Scruntfundle »

Hi folks.

I'm playing around with a raspberry pi and a Tinker board. While essentially the same thing the OSs (Raspbian and Debian) have many differences, as do the libraries for GPIO etc.

In Bash, how can I check the hardware? ie.. If 'command'="Raspberry' DoRaspberry Or a case for a Raspberry pi, Banana pi, Cheesecake, and other boards?

I realise that as the OSs are different and may have to rely on commands failing, or not existing on certain systems. I suppose the easiest way would be for me to drop a file in /dev that each bash could check. Maybe I've just answered my own question!

Even if I have, I'd be interested to know how people would do this if I hadn't just had the genius idea above!!
Many thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Which hardware?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Munty Scruntfundle wrote:how can I check the hardware?

Code: Select all

lspci -k
^ That will show all of the PCI devices along with the kernel module that has been loaded for them, no loaded kernel module would indicate a lack of support for that hardware.

Is that what you mean? I'm not sure I understand your post.
deadbang

bw123

Re: Which hardware?

#3 Post by bw123 »

I don't think a robust script should depend on hardware. Instead, I would probably check os and branch from that if necessary.

You're trying to write like a one-size-fits-all script for several gnu/linux distros? Why would they need different commands, is it like a network script that depends on a certain iface, or what? GPIO? can you give an example?

why would you "drop a file in /dev" you could drop a file anywhere, like /tmp I guess, but yeah it's not clear what you're trying to do.
resigned by AI ChatGPT