Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's your desktop environment of choice?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bester69

Re: What's your desktop environment of choice?

#21 Post by bester69 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:BUMP

GNOME, because it's the most modern-looking DE Linux community has. And it's usually the first to get all those shiny new features (Wayland, systemd, pulseaudio, pipewire). Sometimes it removes some outdated concepts from the 90's, like desktop icons or systray. :mrgreen:

To be serious now, I really contemplate switching to something more sane, like MATE again. But reinstalling Stretch and upgrading it all the way to Sid is too much for now.
Installing Mate, Cinnamon or xfce doesnt make any sense or advantage having available Plasma..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#22 Post by None1975 »

I use FVWM

No desktop-environment.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wheelerof4te

#23 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Welp, reinstalled Stretch and picked Cinnamon over MATE. Same thing, just with more options. For some reason, Cinnamon on Debian 9 installs both Nautilus and Nemo along with a bunch of random stuff, so I quickly removed Nautilus.
Too lazy to go all the way to Sid.

tyler2016

#24 Post by tyler2016 »

I use MATE and XFCE depending on the machine's purpose.

debiandonder

#25 Post by debiandonder »

I am using Q40S Plasma, which I think is some version of KDE. If I decide to install Debian myself, does the KDE desktop take much longer to download, than say Gnome?
Last edited by debiandonder on 2019-02-11 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

ruwolf

#26 Post by ruwolf »

JWM. 8)

piperdan

#27 Post by piperdan »

For me, I've settled on KDE Plasma.......for now :lol:

Yet the first thing I'll do is switch the application menu starter to the "Unity-like" option. To me, Plasma's Unity-like launcher icons looks better and are better organized than Gnome's standard launcher.

Also,
* If I tweaked xfce-terminal or gnome-terminal just the way I like, it would end up looking just like Konsole out of the box.
* Don't care for or use Discovery much, but prefer Muon and/or Synaptic to Gnome's software center for upgrades and installing new software.
* I prefer Virtualbox over Gnome Boxes, which to me seems more straight forward to install with Muon.

Gnome's Epiphany is easier for me to connect to my gmail account than Kontact, but I don't use email clients anyway.

duffy

#28 Post by duffy »

If you don't like something, you can change it. That's why you use Linux, isn't it?

I have some old hardware and some new. But I like LXDE on both. I keep my interfaces the same as best that I can. I try to keep all of the systems up to date. It make it easier on me to have the same look across all my systems.

But you need to decide for yourself.

https://lxde.org/

Check-out their forum. The link is on the website given above.

debiandonder

#29 Post by debiandonder »

I have some old hardware and some new. But I like LXDE on both. I keep my interfaces the same as best that I can. I try to keep all of the systems up to date. It make it easier on me to have the same look across all my systems.

I was thinking the same thing. I would rather use something that reliable than pretty. I am using Q40S with the KDE desktop and it looks nice but sometimes lock up.

Drum.be

#30 Post by Drum.be »

Xfce after testing them all.

kartious

#31 Post by kartious »

Ever since I have switched to a Windows Managers, Desktop Environments are an after thought. Openbox all the way but if I am installing for a friend who is non familiar then xfce.

wheels5894

#32 Post by wheels5894 »

I'm new to Debian - indeed more or less new to Linux. I am running Gnome as it doesn;t look like Windows 10 and make me thing differently to learn Linux.

debiandonder

#33 Post by debiandonder »

I have used Gnome for years and recently switched to KDE. It looks better but doesn't use more memory than Gnome.

Then my graphics card which had some 2 GB memory broke and I had to use just the old AMD A10-5800k. Very old and I don't even know how many graphics cores it has.

Surprise! It still works flawlessly with Debian 9 KDE!

Luna Moon

#34 Post by Luna Moon »

wheels5894 wrote:I'm new to Debian - indeed more or less new to Linux. I am running Gnome as it doesn;t look like Windows 10 and make me thing differently to learn Linux.
Same here. I still have a lot to learn to make full use of Debian!

debiandonder

#35 Post by debiandonder »

You can find out much more about Debian on the internet and on the Debian website's documentation than say Arch Linux.

That's why I use Debian instead of a Arch based distro and it's very stable too.

If a program don't work for you, there is also enough choice to try something else that worked on Debian.

Lastly, Debian seems lighter on my old system, than Ubuntu I used before this.

debianos

#36 Post by debianos »

how many people like and use lxde? is it so much lighter than gnome 3? i have gnome 3 installed and tweaked etc. but am really curious about lxdr and wonering if it will be better overall. It is tough to se running live cd and i just hate to redo the system with lxde and then go - oh man this is not tthat great and then have to do gnome - certain things work in gnome that i like but with minimal ram LXDE seems o be a hreat choice. no offense to xfce people but i tried years ago and it didn't rock my boat as they say. thanks.

GarryRicketson

#37 Post by GarryRicketson »

Personally , I think is is lousy , and don't use it.
--snip-- but am really curious about lxdr and wonering if it will be better overall.
But also , honestly, the only way you can know if it is better for you is try it, you are the only one that can decide that.
how many people like and use lxde?
Just because a lot of others like it, does not mean you will, similar, if I asked, How many people like and use Gnome ?, there would be a lot of them that say they do, but I didn't and don't like it either...Don't let others decide for you what you like, learn to think for your self, try various DE's, and then decide which one YOU like, don't worry about what every one else thinks.
After all said and done, none of the DE's really impress me, I like a WM better, you might want to try some Window Managers as well, but be ware, all the trendy Wendy follow the crowd types will tell you some trendy , clicky dicky , plasma plasmos DE is where it's at,...and they will decide what is best for you, and you will miss out on something that is actually better. Then again LXDE, might be perfect for you, actually , if popularity is the important factor, MS windows is still the most popular, and you get the Desktop they sell you, with no other choice.
Do you know that you can have several different DEs on Debian, and select which one to use when you log in ?

debianos

#38 Post by debianos »

I get you thanks gary. i am not doing because a lot of others use it but curious as to their take. i worked hard to get gnome workinf but it has issues due to ram. so even though things are wroking and for my needs for testing i fif get debian working. lxdr just needs to be zippier than gnome or just handle a bit more at one time. if you know what i mean. thanks again
Last edited by debianos on 2019-03-02 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#39 Post by GarryRicketson »

----but it has issues due to ram.
Yup, among other major issues, that is one reason I don't like it, many claim LXDE is lighter, zippier, (faster) and less ram, but on my hardware, it is just as bad as Gnome, .....I must admit, when I first just completely dropped using any DE, it took some getting used to,but now, even if I did have more modern hardware, and more ram, etc, I would not go back to any of them, and the biggest trend in Desktop Environments, all of them , seems to be they are getting worse and not better.

debianos

#40 Post by debianos »

For what it is worth the LXDE seems to run a lot better than Gnome so far. wish I could tweak a few things more than it is possible but it is OK.