Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

eBook Reader or Tablet

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
kevinthefixer

Re: eBook Reader or Tablet

#21 Post by kevinthefixer »

Couple of observations or cautions: first, bear in mind that not all tablets are created equal. Sure, there are budget tablets out there, but if you buy a cheap tablet, you are likely to get a cheap tablet--that is, one that requires an expert workover to make it useable even as an e-reader. Should you get a tablet, do your eyes a favor and make very sure it has an IPS display (in-plane switching). Very few tablets have a screen that is visible in sunlight; if that is a concern, you need an e-ink display for that. I have used Calibre to convert Kindle books that I have bought to DRM-free .epub format so that I can read them on my Android tablet with my preferred reader (Cool Reader) rather than Amazon's bloated and buggy Kindle app. Legal or not, I don't sell such converted files so I doubt anyone much cares if they're "pirated"--they got paid! A modern Android tablet is actually quite a tech marvel, it can be used pretty much as a laptop computer. By "modern" I mean anything with Lollipop or newer OS; KitKat was a disaster and anything older will be very slow. But a 10" tab with a BT keyboard and mouse, and appropriate software, rivals a PC of, say, 10 years ago in performance. I can't speak to Windows tablets but Android has certainly matured to that level and maybe beyond, all mine are >5 years old (most have custom ROMs, what we'd call an OS on a PC). So buying a tablet and accessories might make more sense than buying a laptop and an e-reader financially. Whatever you do buy, I recommend Project Gutenberg to your attention; they have a huge repository of public-domain books available for free download in many formats. https://www.gutenberg.org/

qyron

#22 Post by qyron »

@Kevinthefixer

I'm an huge fan and user of Project Gutenberg. I've found there books, in my own native language, that are basically impossible to access or find, unless you are willing to invest a lot of your time searching in old used book stores or you are a scholastic researcher with access to our national library archives.

Regarding the tablets: I've never gave much attention to tablets and only have used one a couple of times but not with a very focused mind to the task at hand, to get a proper grasp of the machine I was making use of. What I make of reading on a screen is through my phone, which is an Android device, and going through several different apps to find that one that satisfies my needs (I mostly use F-Droid to source my apps). I currently use a very "barebones" app, simply called Book Reader.

Actually purchasing a tablet is going to prove somewhat of a challenge because of this. I don't really know what to really look for in a tablet. Most budget/entry level 7 inch tablets seem more than adequate for reading. I don't intend to read under direct sun light but even if forced to, the app I currently use on my phone has a dark/light theming preset, that aids a lot in adjusting to different reading conditions. Although a 10 inch equipment could prove more flexible in therms of other usages, all models I've seen look a bit... bulky. At least when compared to a book. I think I'd feel as if holding up a small TV to my face.

One thing I'm not ashamed to admit is that I like to keep waters parted and computers have their place and tablets have their. I arrived late to computers and my first experience was with a desktop and that was what captivated me. I later also had a laptop, and was very pleased with it, but somehow laptops fail to grab me fully; tablet's fail even further. The thought of having to buy a laptop for work reasons in a very short time frame is not pleasing and the first thing I considered was the very basic entry line netbooks, that will more than suffice for my needs after I get my hands on it and get a proper SO in it (Linux). My main machine is a standard desktop and even it can be considered a very modest one, even when it was brand new.

I'll keep your words in mind and take your advices into consideration when spending my money is in order.

Thank you.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

trinidad

#23 Post by trinidad »

E-pub extensions are available for LibreOffice Writer and once you have completed a work you can finish publishing it with Callibre, and any reader will be able to read it. HTML is an even easier option for a classroom scenario.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

millpond

#24 Post by millpond »

I would also suggest calibre as an ebook tool. It has dozens of plugins to customize your own elibrary.

RCA makes a tablet/laptop (it has a detachable keyboard), and is installed with Win10, so can load real appllications, and not the android toy apps. However, not good in sunlight.

KBD47

#25 Post by KBD47 »

I've had several of both, and while the e-ink devices are nice, I finally just stuck with a tablet. Right now I had the Fire 8HD Amazon tablet. Nice size for reading and if your eyes get tired you can just have Alexa read the book for you :)

Demor

#26 Post by Demor »

The tablet can do much more, but it quickly discharges the battery.

qyron

#27 Post by qyron »

I forgot to update on this...

Because I recently had a mishap with my cellphone (dropped it in the toilet...)

[Seriously, just how clumsy and lazy does it take to drop a phone in the toilet? Really? I had the damn thing in my pocket. Then suddenly it seemed to gain a mind of its own and jumped out of my pocket as if leaping from a diving board and took a straight plunge into the yellow lagoon... I actually liked that phone.]

Instead of buying a new smartphone ( and because it was actually cheaper) I got myself a phablet or whatever the thing is called. It has a 10 inch screen so I can pretty much use as any other conventional tablet, with the added bonus of making an idiot out of myself when answering a call on the thing. I'll be the life of party.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

qyron

#28 Post by qyron »

The phablet thing ended up revealing itself as a quite good ereader.

It's a generic tablet. The boot screen just says it's a Mediatek and that is it; I can't pinpoint a specific model.

I get more tired to keep the thing up (it becomes heavy after some time) than to actually read from it.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2