Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Purge command

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
debiandonder

Purge command

#1 Post by debiandonder »

Is the sudo apt purge command the same as "mark for complete removal" in Synaptic package manager? Do I have to use sudo apt autoremove to make sure everything is uninstalled as not to conflict with another programs installation afterwards?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Purge command

#2 Post by arochester »

Is the sudo apt purge command the same as "mark for complete removal" in Synaptic package manager?
Yes.
Do I have to use sudo apt autoremove to make sure everything is uninstalled as not to conflict with another programs installation afterwards?
No.

debiandonder

#3 Post by debiandonder »

Thank you so much! The Google search results gives such conflicting and sometimes outdated articles on this matter.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

Code: Select all

man apt
has all your answers

debiandonder

#5 Post by debiandonder »

Thanks, that's a good reference guide, I was reading some pdf that applied to Debian 10 and it did not include the purge command, that's what made me ask the question.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

Better yet, keep poking around in Synaptic. It can do all you need to do. No need to use the command line.

debiandonder

#7 Post by debiandonder »

On my Q40S system, based on debian 9, I have to uninstall more than one option. Like firefox and q40s-firefox to get rid of it all.

Using the command line is sometimes easier and faster.

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

Off Topic: Installing Q4OS installer of Firefox will give you an uninstall option which does everything for you.

Back on topic: Synaptic package manager is especially good for new users as they often find the command line a scary concept, and as users progress with efficiency (if they choose to do so) they more often than not seem to go for the command line options. One reason for this is a better view of any errors that happen and the ability to give more precise command options to perform specific tasks.

debiandonder

#9 Post by debiandonder »

Yes, Q40S has a simple and user friendly way to install programs and I have used that to install Firefox, Chrome and Synaptic. The only problem is that it does nothing when I change my mind and try to use it to uninstall a program, it simply doesn't work. I then use Synaptic to uninstall something.

What I have found especially useful while using the command line is that it gives me feedback like showing I have some redundant files or something and can use sudo apt autoremove to get rid of them.

I also get warnings while in the terminal to not install something because the repository is not maintained or some other warning. I only used sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade in Ubuntu when I got some error or warning message and it fix it.

There are some good documentation about all the Debian 10 commands but I can't remember where I found and downloaded it from.

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

debiandonder wrote:Yes, Q40S has a simple and user friendly way to install programs and I have used that to install Firefox, Chrome and Synaptic. The only problem is that it does nothing when I change my mind and try to use it to uninstall a program, it simply doesn't work. I then use Synaptic to uninstall something.
You do not use the Q4OS Software Center to uninstall, when the packages are installed you will have an "uninstall firefox" or whatever package in your menu. It's a shame you don't post these problems in the Q4OS forum where others could benefit from your misunderstandings instead of saying things don't work when in fact they do.

debiandonder

#11 Post by debiandonder »

There is a Q40S software center and there is another one with the subheading discover. I was referring to the first one. Taking Firefox 65 as an example, I did not find a uninstall option anywhere, except in Synaptic which was installed using the Q40S installer.

Q40S forum is a graveyard compared to Debian support forum. I either get no response or some vague answers.

It is a great way to install Debian however and as long as one chooses the full program install instead of the basic install and then pick and choose it works great, with minimal setup.

Dai_trying

#12 Post by Dai_trying »

debiandonder wrote:There is a Q40S software center and there is another one with the subheading discover. I was referring to the first one. Taking Firefox 65 as an example, I did not find a uninstall option anywhere, except in Synaptic which was installed using the Q40S installer.
Discover is a Plasma thing not Q4OS, but that aside using the Q4OS Software Centre for installing Firefox will result in having a menu entry to uninstall Firefox, if you can't find it you could have asked in the forum but instead you choose to moan about it here...
debiandonder wrote:Q40S forum is a graveyard compared to Debian support forum. I either get no response or some vague answers.
Debian obviously has a higher user base so that much would be obvious, but you have received answers to your questions even though you have posted no questions other than how to rip music from Cd's with id3 tags completed. You have stated on this forum that your system freezes and other technical problems but have never mentioned this on the Q4OS forum?!?!
debiandonder wrote:It is a great way to install Debian however and as long as one chooses the full program install instead of the basic install and then pick and choose it works great, with minimal setup.
It is not a replacement for a "proper" Debian installation, to get the best support you should just install Debian and then your questions would be more relevant. Many here will tell you if you are using outside (of Debian) repositories you actually have a FrankenDebian and as Q4OS uses it's own repositories (as well as the Debian ones) you should consider this.

Dai_trying

#13 Post by Dai_trying »

Just for clarification I have screen captured the uninstall menu entry for Firefox (after installing it to demonstrate)

And if you still cannot find it you could run from the command line

dash /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/uninst_q4inf/uninstall_q4os-firefox.sh
I would have posted this in the Q4OS forum if you had asked the question there...
Last edited by Dai_trying on 2019-02-27 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

.... and moved to Offtopic.

@debiandonder - Q4OS is not Debian - please stop conflating them.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiandonder

#15 Post by debiandonder »

Dai_trying wrote:Just for clarification I have screen captured the uninstall menu entry for Firefox (after installing it to demonstrate)

And if you still cannot find it you could run from the command line

dash /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/uninst_q4inf/uninstall_q4os-firefox.sh
I would have posted this in the Q4OS forum if you had asked the question there...
I use the Plasma desktop (KDE) not that desktop you posted that looks like Windows XP.

Anyway, I have used Synaptic to install and uninstall programs, as well as the command line. All Debian way of doing things.

debiandonder

#16 Post by debiandonder »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:.... and moved to Offtopic.

@debiandonder - Q4OS is not Debian - please stop conflating them.
Q40S is based on Debian 9 Stable.

My desktop looks like debian 9 KDE version. All the coomands I use in the terminal is Debian commands. sudo apt understand?

debiandonder

#17 Post by debiandonder »

Dai_trying wrote:
debiandonder wrote:There is a Q40S software center and there is another one with the subheading discover. I was referring to the first one. Taking Firefox 65 as an example, I did not find a uninstall option anywhere, except in Synaptic which was installed using the Q40S installer.
Discover is a Plasma thing not Q4OS, but that aside using the Q4OS Software Centre for installing Firefox will result in having a menu entry to uninstall Firefox, if you can't find it you could have asked in the forum but instead you choose to moan about it here...
debiandonder wrote:Q40S forum is a graveyard compared to Debian support forum. I either get no response or some vague answers.
Debian obviously has a higher user base so that much would be obvious, but you have received answers to your questions even though you have posted no questions other than how to rip music from Cd's with id3 tags completed. You have stated on this forum that your system freezes and other technical problems but have never mentioned this on the Q4OS forum?!?!
debiandonder wrote:It is a great way to install Debian however and as long as one chooses the full program install instead of the basic install and then pick and choose it works great, with minimal setup.
It is not a replacement for a "proper" Debian installation, to get the best support you should just install Debian and then your questions would be more relevant. Many here will tell you if you are using outside (of Debian) repositories you actually have a FrankenDebian and as Q4OS uses it's own repositories (as well as the Debian ones) you should consider this.
I was explaining not moaning.

Don't repsond to peoples posts if you don't bother reading them properly. I wrote that my Ubuntu system froze completely while using Firefox and that Debian has had no such incidence thus far.

I resolved some problems like clashing profiles while trying different Firefox versions. Some guy told me to just delete the Firefox folder in ~/.mozilla. Short sweet answer that fixed the problem.

When I switch on my pc, I get the Q40S message and emidiately after that "welcome to debian 9".

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by 4D696B65 »

debiandonder wrote: Q40S is based on Debian 9 Stable.

My desktop looks like debian 9 KDE version. All the coomands I use in the terminal is Debian commands. sudo apt understand?
Based on does not equal same. Understand?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

debiandonder wrote:Q40S is based on Debian 9 Stable.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=542283#p542283
understand?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiandonder

#20 Post by debiandonder »

4D696B65 wrote:
debiandonder wrote: Q40S is based on Debian 9 Stable.

Based on does not equal same. Understand?
Yes that true, I have used Ubuntu since 2014 and now I use a Debian 9 based distro and I have noticed some improvements, like the internet connection better than before. Maybe it's using a newer Linux kernel or something.

Al the commands I have used in the terminal are Debian commands. I am looking at a Debian reference card abut Debian 10 and I know most of the commands.

The synaptic package manager I am using is full of debian packages. When I tried out Opera browser, I had to install gdebi first, in order to install Opera.

It's all Debian.

I know Debian, otherwise I would hae just installed Antergos,but I can't "talk to arch" because I don't know the language.