Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Purge command

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Dai_trying

Re: Purge command

#21 Post by Dai_trying »

debiandonder wrote:Don't repsond to peoples posts if you don't bother reading them properly. I wrote that my Ubuntu system froze completely while using Firefox and that Debian has had no such incidence thus far.
from this post
debiandonder wrote:I have Q40S based on Debian 9 and sometimes the KDE menu lock up

debiandonder

#22 Post by debiandonder »

O, please! One component acting up is not the same as the whole operating system freezing to the point you can't use the mouse or keyboard.

Okay all hairsplitting aside, I now know the difference between the purge and remove command.

End of story and they lived happily ever after with Debian.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by CwF »

debiandonder wrote: The synaptic package manager I am using is full of debian packages. When I tried out Opera browser, I had to install gdebi first, in order to install Opera.
You could use synaptic to install Opera. You could also create a local non-repository source for use in synaptic. Gdebi is a good little helper for synaptic. There's a lot of ways to skin the cat and I do it all with a click. Clicks are way faster than typing! Seriously, explore the menus. All the logs are there, managing cache is there, all the terminal warnings, errors, list changes, and all the info on packages, dependants, orphans, etc. It's all there and clickable. The command line has no advantage.

debiandonder

#24 Post by debiandonder »

That's all mostly true. However when I uninstalled Firefox with synaptic and installed Firefox ESR the profiles clashed and I had to manually remove a file in the mozilla folder in hidden files and reinstall Firefox before it worked properly.

I love gdebi because it installs programs fast, like Chrome or Opera by opening the program from Firefox and installing the program. I had to look around and scroll down the menu in Synaptic to find Opera and uninstall it.

Installing chromium from the terminal involves openning the ternimal and typing a simple command. In Synaptic to open synaptic, search for the program and mark for installation and so on. It takes longer.

sickpig

#25 Post by sickpig »

i love debiandonder's posts
they r the best
m a fan
keep em coming
more power to u

debiandonder

#26 Post by debiandonder »

Thank you so much piggy!

Oh yeah, donder means thunder or laud rumbling, that me.

Keep on thundering!