Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WHAT..bugreport made me email-address public?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
MrBW

WHAT..bugreport made me email-address public?

#1 Post by MrBW »

I reported a bug and now my email is public visible for every spammer!
I'll believe I'll receive a huge amount of spam from, now on and forever, because I didn't used a fake account.

I find it very strange the system is designed this way?

Maybe it's from the days where Internet was only a few connections between a few universities.....but that's a long time ago

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: WHAT..bugreport made me email-address public?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

WHAT..your email client doesn't have a spam filter? :shock:

FWIW, I've submitted several bug reports to Debian and I don't have anything at all in the spam section of my email client so I don't think you have to worry much.

Troll score: 2/10, try harder next time :mrgreen:
deadbang

mike acker

#3 Post by mike acker »

MrBW wrote:I reported a bug and now my email is public visible for every spammer!
I'll believe I'll receive a huge amount of spam from, now on and forever, because I didn't used a fake account.

I find it very strange the system is designed this way?

Maybe it's from the days where Internet was only a few connections between a few universities.....but that's a long time ago
probably not the bug report: there have been some huge dumps of eMail data in the dark market recently.

I had to cancel one of my eMail addresses as a result
Viva la Resistencia

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have never used the Debian bug report mail list, but my e-mail address did end up listed in the
huge dumps of eMail data in the dark market recently.
I used the above link, https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check, for me it turned out it was from the Linux Mint Forums, several years ago, they actually sold the info, at least that is what the info I read said.
In any event, I do use good e-mail spam filters, and really do not get very much e-mail spam, fortunately.

Side note, we do not have any say, nor anything to do with how the Debian.org configures the mail lists, and what spam prevention methods are used, so really posting about this here is rather pointless, unless the OP is just a hungry troll.

MrBW

#6 Post by MrBW »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:WHAT..your email client doesn't have a spam filter? :shock:

FWIW, I've submitted several bug reports to Debian and I don't have anything at all in the spam section of my email client so I don't think you have to worry much.

Troll score: 2/10, try harder next time :mrgreen:
It completely beside the point if I have a spam filter or not. The point is that you NEVER go public with other people's email adresse, or any other private data
for that matter, especially if you don't have any reason to to do it and it doesn't serve any purpose, which is doesn't in this case.
If you want to write to someone, it should be done through the forum-site. I know the report site is not a forum-like-site, but it should be! Other reasons is you should be able to modify or delete your bug-reports.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

It seems to me that the logical thing would be to not use your personal e-mail for such things like public mailing lists, including ones like the Debian bug reports, there are literally 100's of e-mail services that are free, and designed for temporary use, that be part of the reason they exist, so that people can use them instead of a private, personal e-mail address, or the company e-mail address.
Did you not notice, when you first looked at the bug reports list, it is pretty obvious, all the e-mail addresses are shown, if this was going to be a problem for you, why didn't you use a temporary alternative e-mail ?

And here it states pretty clearly:
https://www.debian.org/legal/privacy
Mailing Lists (lists.debian.org)

Mailing lists are the primary communication mechanism of the Debian Project. Almost all of the mailing lists related to the project are open, and thus available for anyone to read and/or post to. All lists are also archived; for public lists this means in a web accessible manner. This fulfils the project commitment to transparency, and aids with helping our users and developers understand what is happening in the project, or understand the historical reasons for certain aspects of the project. Due to the nature of email these archives will therefore potentially hold personal information, such as names and email addresses.
There also are easy ways to make the header show a different e-mail address, one that is fake,
from;https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=907199
--email=ADDRESS
Set the email address your report should appear to be sent from (i.e. the address that appears in the From header). This should be the actual Internet email address on its own (i.e. without a real name or comment part, like foo@example.com). This setting will override the EMAIL and DEBEMAIL environment variables, but not REPORTBUGEMAIL.
Simple rule of thumb, If you do not want your e-mail shown to the public, do not post it on public lists, and mail lists, and forums as well for that matter.
The point is that you NEVER go public with other people's email adresse, or any other private data
for that matter, especially if you don't have any reason to to do it and it doesn't serve any purpose, which is doesn't in this case.
If you want to write to someone, it should be done through the forum-site. I know the report site is not a forum-like-site, but it should be! O
No body went public with your e-mail address, YOU went public with it when you posted it in a public list. Occasionally we get some members that actually do that here as well, and include their e-mail address in a post, ...Try using some simple logic, and have a good day.