Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Github solution to ffmpeg for Opera

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mike acker

Github solution to ffmpeg for Opera

#1 Post by mike acker »

I found this solution to the ffmpeg problem for opera
Start Opera, goto, https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmp...uilt/releases/ and download the 0.31.4-linux-x64.zip file. In Opera's download dialog, click the folder icon to show the file in the file manager. Right-click it and choose "Extract here". This will give you libffmpeg.so.
Request for comment: would a solution from github be generally considered reliable ?

thanks in advance,
Viva la Resistencia

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Github solution to ffmpeg for Opera

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Opera is not safe to use in Debian stable because it is webkit based.

See https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... r-security

There is also this thread in which an Opera user has perhaps been pwned because they won't listen to me about this :roll:
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Opera is not safe to use in Debian stable because it is webkit based.

See https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... r-security

There is also this thread in which an Opera user has perhaps been pwned because they won't listen to me about this :roll:
Doesn't Opera ship with its own internal updated webkit, like most of those other big fat Chromium-based browsers, so Debian's outdated webkit doesn't apply? Though I see Bester was using an outdated version of Opera also, which won't help.

One could always update webkit2gtk from my Midori OBS repo if they want the current version on Stretch, too. :D
Last edited by stevepusser on 2019-03-15 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Doesn't Opera ship with its own internal updated webkit, like most of those other big fat Chromium-based browsers, so Debian's outdated webkit doesn't apply?
I unpacked the .deb they supply and it doesn't contain any webkit libraries.

Do they have AppImages or flatpaks?
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

For $Deiti's sake, just use secure browsers.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Doesn't Opera ship with its own internal updated webkit, like most of those other big fat Chromium-based browsers, so Debian's outdated webkit doesn't apply?
I unpacked the .deb they supply and it doesn't contain any webkit libraries.

Do they have AppImages or flatpaks?
Webkit is all compiled into its rather huge binary file, like all the Chromium browsers. Take apart the Chromium, Iridium, or Google Chrome debs to see the same thing--no webkit lib files. Building their own internal webkit is what makes those browser builds take so long and eat so much RAM. Building Midori to use the system webkit2gtk takes just a minute on my laptop in comparison.

You get a version of Chromium with its own webkit with every single big fat Electron application, too. :(
Last edited by stevepusser on 2019-03-15 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Webkit is all compiled into its rather huge binary file, like all the Chromium browsers. Take apart the Chromium, Iridium, or Google Chrome debs to see the same thing--not webkit lib files. Building their own internal webkit is what makes those browser builds take so long and eat so much RAM.
Ah, interesting, thanks for that.
deadbang

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, but you'll have poor security if you use an old version of a Chromium browser, like that user...the same as using an old version of any browser.

mike acker

#9 Post by mike acker »

all very interesting comments; thanks, gentlemen!

I loaded Debian from the Stretch+non-free dist. Opera is listed in the package manager although if I recall correctly it was already installed with the MINT/Cinnamon package. It does receive regular updates.

As I'm just a Debian enthusiast I try to follow the general guide -- and stick to packages that are in the package manager.

What I need to do is to learn to edit the Firejail profile and re-establish my browsing habits to work from the Firejail.

Even so, If I do sudo and install this ffmpeg.so into the extralib for Opera -- that code would then be generally accessible to the system,... While I have the download,....... it's not signed. :( I think github is generally regarded as a reliable resource; the download should be OK. Still, I'd be a little happier if the package was signed.
Viva la Resistencia

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mike acker wrote:Opera is listed in the package manager although if I recall correctly it was already installed with the MINT/Cinnamon package. It does receive regular updates.
I can't find an opera package in the Debian repositories:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

The Debian wiki page about Opera warns against it because it is proprietary and so the source code is not available. What are they trying to hide, exactly?

Where did you get it from?

Code: Select all

apt policy opera-stable
mike acker wrote:What I need to do is to learn to edit the Firejail profile and re-establish my browsing habits to work from the Firejail.
Firejail doesn't offer that much extra security, namespaces & seccomp-bpf (which chromium uses by default with no need for extra packages) are better than nothing but not as good as the hype may lead you to believe.

If security is a concern then use OpenBSD instead, they have a much smaller attack surface generally and their www/chromium package is protected by unveil(2) and pledge(2), both of which offer far more protection than firejail.

But anyway see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/firejail for a general guide, that can be adapted for Debian.
mike acker wrote:I think github is generally regarded as a reliable resource
:lol:

No.
deadbang

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Mike might be confused because installing Opera from their deb package will also add the Opera repositories to your sources, like many Google debs do. Either that, or he has some custom Package Installer somehow that will support installing Opera, like the MX one does. :?:

mike acker

#12 Post by mike acker »

<snip>
No.
Thanks- that's what I needed to know!

I do have Opera_Stable listed in my /Software_Installs; I may have installed it from their .deb; I'm not sure.

Code: Select all

mike@Office1:~/Documents/1 Software Installs/Debian 9 Stretch/opera$ ls -l
total 51692
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 52928950 Feb 27  2018 opera-stable_51.0.2830.40_amd64.deb
it's on vers. 58 now

I can't do any more screenshot attachments; the synaptic pkg mgr shows both an opera and an opera-stable; opera-stable is the one I'm using. the opera_stable is marked as installed.

Looks like I need to clean up my act a bit!
Viva la Resistencia