Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Some noob questions . Xfce

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Udaba

Some noob questions . Xfce

#1 Post by Udaba »

Hello there , i just joined you ,thank you for your great job . I have some questions : 1)How i can edit the menu ? (Like i can hide About Xfce,Log out etc) 2)Is there any way to skip the GNU/Grab message at beggining? 3)Is there any kinda Store app you could reccomend me ?(except synaptics manager? :P) 4)Is there any way i can put shut down option at the menu (and replace it with log out see (1) .

kevinthefixer

Re: Some noob questions . Xfce

#2 Post by kevinthefixer »

As you're in Beginner's section, I assume you mean EASY ways to do these things. I'm also assuming you're running Stable (stretch). So 1) I installed MenuLibre to edit my menu, XFCE doesn't put a calculator in the menu by default (I'm doing taxes right now). But you want to leave Log Out so you can shut down, restart etc. 2) Again, you don't want to lose the GRUB screen entirely, I shortened my 5-second wait by editing /etc/default/grub. Recommend reading it first, and of course you must be root or use sudo. 3) Synaptics, the GUI program for Apt, the package manager, is it. You can expand it by adding "contrib" and "non-free" repositories, but don't add any non-Debian repositories to your list, it will cause problems, probably sooner than later. 4) Covered.

Recommended reading:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIntroduction
You also have a tremendous wealth of info in a simple command in terminal (I like the XFCE terminal but XTerm will work or any other). The command is "man" (short for manual) followed by the name of the program you want info on. Try typing "man man" in terminal.

Searching this forum before posting is considered the thing to do, and you might even consider just browsing it, reading threads that catch your interest. Caution, though, doing this might lead to learning things.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

4) xfce panel entry "action buttons" gives a separate way for log off/shutdown.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Udaba wrote:Is there any kinda Store app you could reccomend me ?(except synaptics manager? :P)
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-software

EDIT: to get rid of the GRUB menu, edit /etc/default/grub and change GRUB_TIMEOUT to "0" then save the file and run `update-grub` (as root).

And in future please restrict yourself to a single question per thread with a clear title that indicates the nature of the specific problem.

These boards are a community resource rather than your personal help desk, a thread such as this is virtually useless to everybody else.

It would also be appropriate not to post questions for which the answer can be found by using a search engine.
deadbang

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

I would just like to add, you can change the default menu to the whisker menu, I think it is more customisable that the default. You might need to install it first though.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfc ... enu-plugin
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

The package manager is called Synaptic, not synaptics! Sheesh. :(
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

sunrat wrote:The package manager is called Synaptic, not synaptics! Sheesh. :(
Oops.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have some questions : 1)How i can edit the menu ? (Like i can hide About Xfce,Log out etc)
How i can edit the xfce menu ?
1st hit, and also answers some of the other questions:
https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

I don't use Xfce myself, but I bet the wiki is full of good information on configuring it, etc.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

Synaptic and 'Store app' in the same sentence is almost blasphemous. The best gui on the best package manager, literally sliced bread, very much a hallmark of Debian. Perhaps Xubuntu is more appropriate.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, we made our own "software store" for the XFCE MX Linux, but it doesn't have pretty pictures or ratings, just the one line short description. We did make it pretty safe and easy to install from stretch-backports, the MX test repo, or flatpaks if those fail, though, which most of the other stores don't. It will even install third-party debs like Chrome, Slimjet, or Master PDF Editor. (RMS gnashes his teeth)

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/hel ... installer/
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

stevepusser wrote:Yeah, ... XFCE MX Linux
I'll edit my thought, yes, perhaps MX would be better.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

kevinthefixer wrote:
sunrat wrote:The package manager is called Synaptic, not synaptics! Sheesh. :(
Oops.
It was OP who first referred to it, you just echoed. It is now my mission to nip inaccuracies like this in the bud.

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Udaba

#13 Post by Udaba »

Thank you all for your answers . Well the xfce manual , didnt help . i cant find the menu file , so i cant edit it :/ I have downloaded whisker menu but i cant find anywhere . And lastly i find already "action buttons" , but thats not what i need :/ i need to edit the "menu" value , from log out to shut down .
what i have to do to create the menu file to edit it?

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

From https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu :
Create ~/.config/menus directory (if it doesn't exist already):
what i have to do to create the menu file to edit it?

Code: Select all

man mkdir
To learn how to make a directory. As far as editing, or creating any files, just use your favourite text editor, if it is a new file, save the file using the name you want to use.
It might be better for you to learn to crawl, before trying to walk and run, example, learn some basic linux commands, and get a better understanding of the commands available etc, then later when you understand things better, you can move on to more advanced things, like customizing the Desktop menus,etc,..
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-03-19 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Udaba

#15 Post by Udaba »

do i have to create the menu file , restart and edit it then? cause its gonna be blank :?

kevinthefixer

#16 Post by kevinthefixer »

I think you'll find the file exists. Open your home directory in the file manager, check "show hidden files" in the "view" menu, go to ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu. It will open in your default html editor (Firefox?). I found editing it manually to be a PITA, which is why I recommended MenuLibre.

@Sunrat, I admire your determination in taking on such a Herculean task, however Quixotic. I will endeavor to not add to it, although my fat fingers seem determined otherwise.

Udaba

#17 Post by Udaba »

kevinthefixer wrote:I think you'll find the file exists. Open your home directory in the file manager, check "show hidden files" in the "view" menu, go to ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu. It will open in your default html editor (Firefox?). I found editing it manually to be a PITA, which is why I recommended MenuLibre.

@Sunrat, I admire your determination in taking on such a Herculean task, however Quixotic. I will endeavor to not add to it, although my fat fingers seem determined otherwise.
well i couldnt find the file :/
i searched in other folders too but it was not there . there are no xfce-applications.menu file in menus folder. only applications-merged. i think im running xfce 4.12 and i dont wanna break thinks if i create an empty menu file

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

There are many ways to find or locate files, and directories, :
https://www.howtogeek.com/112674/how-to ... mand-line/
Udaba wrote:do i have to create the menu file , restart and edit it then? cause its gonna be blank :?

Probably not, but you might need to,
Did you try reading this ? : https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
Copy the menu file

This is only necessary if you want to change the hardcoded entries (usually above the Settings sub-menu and below the last sub-menu) or to change the sub-menu definitions.

Create ~/.config/menus directory (if it doesn't exist already):

mkdir ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/menus/
Copy the installed menu file to where xfdesktop will look for it before looking for the installed menu file ($prefix = /usr on most systems):

cp $prefix/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/menus
or

cp $prefix/etc/xfce/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/menus
But read all of it, not just this part, and be sure to try locating the directory and file first, as all ready mentioned , it probably does all ready exist, but is a hidden file.
i dont wanna break thinks if i create an empty menu file
It would be to your advantage to concentrate on learning some of the most basic commands and things about your system and Linux first, and later when you understand more about linux, Debian, etc, you can start worrying about customizing your DE menu , at this point you are very likely to end up borking your system, because you do not know even the basics.
Here is a few simple rules to help you get started:
1. Before you do anything else, and if your system is basically working OK, make a good backup, if need be learn about that before you go on to anything else.
Why ? The back up is your only safe way to be sure you have a good copy of the system, and you might need it if and when something goes wrong with your "customizations" .
2. Make a copy of any default file you plan to modify, Why ? If the change you make does not work as expected, you can use that copy, to at least restore the default file, and have it working again.
3. If you do not know how to do these things, learn how to do them first.
4. From: in another thread,
Postby Udaba » 2019-03-18 16:45
I want to edit my startup - login page .. Like i wanna set auto-remember for my username , i want to change the wallapaper too .

You need to try various text editors, then decide for your self which one you prefer, or as mentioned here:
I found editing it manually to be a PITA, which is why I recommended MenuLibre.
If you want to learn how to use the "MenuLibre", do that first,...I personally prefer "leafpad", each to his own on that,...
Finally :
5. Maybe the most important, Please learn how to use the search engines, it will save everyone , including you , lot's of time and trouble, to use a search engine you must be clear and precise with your words and question, that is something you also need to do when you ask any question here, try pasting a well worded question into a search engine, if you really do not get any results that are useful to you, then you need to try asking someone, either here or any other forum as well, the key being that the question is clear, and includes any details needed, obviously if you don't know what details are needed , then you will need to ask.
For example , I had to guess on this, you do not specify Xfce in your question, but that is what I used: I want to edit my startup - login page on Xfce
Try looking at some of the results,
Example 2;
change the wallpaper on xfce
2nd hit:
https://itsfoss.com/customize-xfce/
3. Change wallpapers in Xfce

Again, the default Xfce wallpaper is not bad at all. But you can change the wallpaper to something that matches with your icons and themes.

To change wallpapers in Xfce, right click on the desktop and click on Desktop Settings. You can change the desktop background from your custom collection or the defaults one given.

Right click on the desktop and click on Desktop Settings. Choose Background from the folder option, and choose any one of the default backgrounds or a custom one.
There also is a easy way to change wall papers, or background using a script like this:
--

PS3='Pick one of the above: '
TMOUT=10
select i in list choose quit
do      case $i in 
        list)   ls ~/Images/backgrounds;;
        choose) read fname; display -window root ~/Images/backgrounds/${fname};;    
        quit)   break;;
        "")     print -u2 You must select one of the above;;
        esac
done  
But you do need to have ImageMagick installed, to have the 'display' command as needed.

kevinthefixer

#19 Post by kevinthefixer »

Looking at @GarryRicketson's post, it would seem that the thing to do would be to find the original file in one of the two locations he posted, then copy it to your menus directory in your home subdirectory and edit that one. This will of course only affect your user, not root or any others you may have. But of course Garry is correct, do your homework first. This is pretty much a requirement for Debian users, those who don't wind up using Mint or its parent Ubuntu, or (Horrors!) back to Windows. Another thought, you might create another user just for experimental purposes, when you're happy with the menu you created for that user, copy it back to your normal user's home location.

GarryRicketson

#20 Post by GarryRicketson »

Another method to view hidden files,

ls -f
see

man ls

That is L but lower case l , not I upper case i.
Example:

garry% cd /home/garry
garry% ls -f
.ssh                                                 
.Xdefaults                                            
.cshrc                                                 
.cvsrc                                                 
.login                                                
.mailrc                                                
.profile                                               
.cache                                                 
.dbus                                                  
.local                                                
.config  
To see what directory you actually are in: 'pwd'

garry% cd .config
garry% pwd
/home/garry/.config
garry% ls
Mousepad       bspwm          iridium        neofetch       otter          xarchiver
QtProject.conf dconf          leafpad        netsurf        scummvm        xfce4
Thunar         gtk-2.0        mimeapps.list  nomacs         tint2
Trolltech.conf gtk-3.0        nautilus       openbox        vlc

To use 'locate', to find the applications-menu file:

garry% locate xfce-applications.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu
/usr/local/share/examples/garcon/xfce-applications.menu
garry% 

You can use the 'less' command to view it, or open it with your favourite editor to edit / modify

garry% locate xfce-applications.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu
/usr/local/share/examples/garcon/xfce-applications.menu
garry% cd /etc/xdg/menus/
garry% ls
xfce-applications.menu
garry% less xfce-applications.menu

The /usr/local/share/examples/ is also a good place to look, there might even be a example that is close to what you want.
But again, I stress this, learn how to make a back up copy of your system, before you start modifying files ,etc, especially if you really need a Desktop and GUI's, if you change a file effecting the DE, you may find your self with no DE, and CLI only, your back up copy, is all you have , or re-install,...