Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Some noob questions . Xfce

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
GarryRicketson

Re: Some noob questions . Xfce

#21 Post by GarryRicketson »

I did not know about "MenuLibre", so here is another example on doing a search;
What is Menulibre
Hmm, interesting, :
An advanced menu editor that provides modern features in a clean, easy-to-use interface. MenuLibre is developed for users who want to manage their menus ...
And it is available for Debian:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/menulibre
Package: menulibre (2.0.7-1.1)
advanced FreeDesktop.org compliant menu editor
An advanced menu editor that provides modern features in a clean, easy-to-use interface. All without GNOME dependencies, so even lightweight systems can benefit from the sanity that MenuLibre offers. MenuLibre is your one-stop shop for menus in Linux, whether you use GNOME, LXDE, Xfce, or Unity.
Sounds like that might be your easiest option, you will need to install it.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Some noob questions . Xfce

#22 Post by NFT5 »

Udaba wrote:Thank you all for your answers . Well the xfce manual , didnt help . i cant find the menu file , so i cant edit it :/
You don't have to edit it. Understand that there are certain things about the XFCE menu that can't be changed. Yes, I've tried. One of the XFCE idiosyncrasies is a habit of not accepting copied and pasted configuration files or ignoring changes that you might make directly in them.

However, reading back through this thread it seems that you just want to change the "Log Out" entry at the bottom of the menu to "Shut Down". This will apply to both the Applications Menu (the standard one) and also to the Whisker menu since they both have the same items - just present them in a slightly different way.

I have downloaded whisker menu but i cant find anywhere . And lastly i find already "action buttons" , but thats not what i need :/ i need to edit the "menu" value , from log out to shut down .
what i have to do to create the menu file to edit it?
You need to install the Whisker menu to your panel. Right click on the panel and then Panel > Add New Items. That will open up a window listing all the things you can add to the panel. Select Whisker Menu and then click the Add button at the bottom of the window.

Once you have the menu of your choice on the panel you can make changes.

For the Applications Menu, right click and select Properties. That will open the Applications Menu Properties window. Now click on the button marked Edit Menu. A window headed Main menu will open.

Now scroll to the bottom of the list in the right hand column. You'll see the Log Out entry with a check box to its left. Select then click on Properties in the far right section of the window. Another window, titled Launcher Properties will open.

Now you can make the changes you want. Change the name to 'Shut Down'; Command to 'xfce4-session-logout --halt', and Comment to 'Shut Down System'. Change the icon by clicking on it and navigating to /usr/share/icons, from which you can select from a large choice there. Or search for system-shutdown.png. Click 'OK' and proceed to close the other open windows. The new entry will now appear in your menu and shut down the system when clicked.

To some extent I'd echo Garry's comments about hand holding but XFCE is very much a work in progress and some parts of it are incomplete. That said, all of what I've listed above can be readily found with a few searches and, of course, in the Wiki. It just happens that I've very recently been through the process myself, having made a change from MATE to XFCE. The procedure is similar in Menu Libre, but the presentation of information is a bit different.