Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fail to install Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
xawii

Fail to install Debian

#1 Post by xawii »

Got this copy debian-9.8.0-i386-DVD-1.iso.torrent
Made a bootable DVD with PowerISO.
Encountered this:
1)Debootstrap error
Couldn't retrieve dists/stretch/main/binary-I386/Packages. This may be due to a network problem or a bad CD, depending on your installation method.
If you are installing from CD-R or CD-RW, burning a CD at a lower speed may help.
2)"Failed to install the base system
The base system installation into /target/ failed.
Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details."
3)An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Install the base system
Actually, I didn't attempt to skip this step, so, I don't know If it would proceed with installation. Need help.

GarryRicketson

Re: Fail to install Debian

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

With out any details on your hardware , it is just a guessing game,..maybe read this, and make sure your hardware can run Debian 9 :https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 02.html.en
and then this:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 02.html.en
All though usually the error messages say "missing firmware", what you posted indicates maybe that is part of the problem:
This may be due to a network problem
Then BEFORE INSTALLING DEBIAN:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 03.html.en
There is a lot of reading to do, I am skipping some stuff, but suggest reading it all BEFORE even trying to install, it is obvious you have not read any of the installation documentation, or you would have all ready known this:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 01.html.en
Error messages and logs are redirected to the fourth console. You can access this console by pressing Left Alt+F4 (hold the left Alt key while pressing the F4 function key); get back to the main installer process with Left Alt+F1.

These messages can also be found in /var/log/syslog. After installation, this log is copied to /var/log/installer/syslog on your new system. Other installation messages may be found in /var/log/ during the installation, and /var/log/installer/ after the computer has been booted into the installed system.
RE:
by xawii »2)"Failed to install the base system
The base system installation into /target/ failed.
Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details."
3)An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Install the base system
Actually, I didn't attempt to skip this step, so, I don't know If it would proceed with installation. Need help.
Did you Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details ? Then show us those details,
The failing step is: Install the base system
Well with out the base system, you won't have a OS, so no, there is not much point in trying to do the rest.... Nobody can read the install documentation for you, You need to do that your self, and that needs to be done before even attempting to install. If that is to much for you, then you can try finding someone to install it for you, or try a different distro that is easier to install.
Another option would be, try a different install image, one that does not require a internet connection to install, IE: One of these:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/
This might make it easier for you, but it still is better to really read the install documentation before even trying to install, and even before wasting time download a image that will not work for your situation, sadly since we have no clue about the hardware, etc, How can we know exactly what is best for your situation ?
Finally:
Made a bootable DVD with PowerISO
I don't know what PowerISO is, but any way, since it booted, I guess that is ok,
I use this:
growisofs for DVD and BD optical media types:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=debian-x.y.z-arch-MEDIUM-NN.iso
I don't see any mention of "poweriso" there, so don't really know on that
Have a good Day :D

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

If you're depending on wi-fi for a network connection, chances are 98.7623% the problem is missing non-free firmware, or a Broadcom device that needs the "wl" broadcom-sta driver.
MX Linux packager and developer

kevinthefixer

#4 Post by kevinthefixer »

stevepusser wrote:If you're depending on wi-fi for a network connection, chances are 98.7623% the problem is missing non-free firmware, or a Broadcom device that needs the "wl" broadcom-sta driver.
That's 98.7624%. Try a wired connection.

xawii

#5 Post by xawii »

Friends, thank you for being ready to help. I was disappointed for a while, but today I got Debian installed. This time it succeeded either because I disconnected the second HDD or because I didn't skip setting up the root password, which I did before. The network connection was not required during installation, everything was included in the DVD. You are best, thank you.