Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Methods to disable Intel video driver

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bushy5

Methods to disable Intel video driver

#1 Post by bushy5 »

Are there multiple ways to do this task? I wanted to see the effect of disabling it and tried doing it by editing the kernal script by adding "modprobe.blacklist=8086:22b1" .
I don't think it worked because executing lspci -nn outputs 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:22b1] (rev 35) which it out prior to my editing

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Methods to disable Intel video driver

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

What are you actually trying to do here? Why do you want to disable the driver?

You can blacklist the i915 kernel module to stop the card working at all:

Code: Select all

# tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf <<<'blacklist i915'
# depmod -ae
# update-initramfs -u
Or you can disable the xserver-xorg-video-intel DDX driver by either removing the package or forcing the modesetting DDX driver instead, here is an xorg configuration file that I use for that:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Head- ... tting.conf

That will keep your card working but it will not use the Intel DDX driver.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Methods to disable Intel video driver

#3 Post by p.H »

bushy5 wrote:I wanted to see the effect of disabling it and tried doing it by editing the kernal script by adding "modprobe.blacklist=8086:22b1"
"Kernel script" ? Do you mean the kernel command line parameters ?
modprobe.blacklist expects a module name, not a vendor:device PCI identifier.
Also, blacklisting a module does not have any effect on the output of "lspci -nn". It may have an effect on "lspci -k" which would show that the blacklisted driver is not in use.
Finally, it disables the kernel driver, not the X.org driver (although the X.org driver may not work without the kernel driver).