Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

When i try to see a video with VLC the CPU goes 100%

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Udaba

When i try to see a video with VLC the CPU goes 100%

#1 Post by Udaba »

I cant play no video at my laptop . I have intel graphics . i run the latest version of debian . i tried MPV which works greats but it hasnt so much add-ons like VLC ... I want to download subs ...
So any ideas what i could do with VLC ? tried everything.

Wheelerof4te

Re: When i try to see a video with VLC the CPU goes 100%

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

What's your DE, Debian version, graphics hardware etc? Post the output of:

Code: Select all

lspci -k
under code brackets here.
Saying just "latest Debian" means little when that version could be either Stretch, Buster or Sid.

Udaba

#3 Post by Udaba »

you are right . i use strecth. i use intel graphics ( atom processor)

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Not doing what I suggested, eh? How about this, install inxi (apt install inxi) and as a user, type in terminal:

inxi -G
Post the result here.

Udaba

#5 Post by Udaba »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Not doing what I suggested, eh? How about this, install inxi (apt install inxi) and as a user, type in terminal:

inxi -G
Post the result here.
is it private and secure to do that?

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

No it is not private, this is a public forum. Secure ?

That all depends on how secure your system is , mine is secure, I have no worry about that.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Q45 Video driver: N/A 
           Display: server: X.org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting tty: 109x31 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
But if you refuse to give any details, then nobody will be able to help you, maybe hire a private system admin, tech, and have them solve your problem .
If you don't trust 'inxi', or just want to learn more about it before trying it, try doing a search :key words:

is it secure to use inxi -G to get information
Here is one, of the many results:
https://www.linuxlinks.com/essential-sy ... tion-tool/
Summary

If you need help from the Linux community, inxi is an essential utility that lets others help you debug issues. By providing concise information about a system, while filtering out sensitive data, it’s a time-saver for all participants.

Udaba

#7 Post by Udaba »

Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6

i wasnt aware of this @GarryRicketson im sorry .. im full noob ... i dont even know why i have to do all this just to see a movie at linux.

Udaba

#8 Post by Udaba »

i just updated .

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

That's ok , we all started out new, etc. And actually it is good to question any commands,or programs that you are not familiar with, some times you can find the answer if you do a search, and avoid seeming like a "noob". Also it always is good to look at what the manual says about the options, this applies on any forum, in this case :

man inxi
---snip--
       -G, --graphics
              Show Graphic card(s) information, including details of
              card and card driver, display protocol (if available),
              display server (vendor and version number), e.g.:
Any way, now maybe some one with more technical know how can give you some advice, sorry , I don't know on this one.

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Mesa is working, so I don't really know what's the problem. The CPU might be very slow. Try installing this:

apt install firmware-msc-nonfree

Udaba

#11 Post by Udaba »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Mesa is working, so I don't really know what's the problem. The CPU might be very slow. Try installing this:

apt install firmware-msc-nonfree
whats exactly is this? :roll: :roll:

also when the pc was running windows 10 was able to run movies smoothly. Now i upgraded with a SSD and install linux cant run VLC :/

edit: i really appreciate your help . im sorry for before . im having the worst day ever.

sickpig

#12 Post by sickpig »

Hey udaba

its non-free firmware for your system. it might make your videos run better

also u can use smplayer its frontend for mpv player, it natively supports subtitle download from open subtitles without the need for additional plugins, its available in synaptic
its memory usage is super low compared to resource hog vlc
bestluck

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

If you don't know what a package is, you can run

apt show "package name" 
in the terminal, and it'll show you.

Description: Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
 This package contains the binary firmware for  various drivers in the
 Linux kernel.  This is a collection of firmware blobs which are not
 individually large enough to warrant a standalone package.
Newer Intel hardware requires this package, but I'm not sure about Bay Trail. Inxi says your graphics are working correctly.

It doesn't hurt to install it, though.

Your Atom is supposed to support va-api hardware video decoding in VLC and some other players, so you should try and set that up.

Install i965-va-driver and vainfo, then run vainfo in a terminal to make sure it's working. Then in VLC's Preferences/--Input/Codecs section, set Hardware Acceleration to automatic, save, and shut VLC down. Then try starting it in a terminal

vlc "video file name"
so it shows if there are any errors loading the va-api drivers.

Information on what type of video you're trying to play would help, too, such as the resolution and what codec they are encoded with, such h.264.

MX Linux packager and developer

Udaba

#14 Post by Udaba »

stevepusser wrote:If you don't know what a package is, you can run

apt show "package name" 
in the terminal, and it'll show you.

Description: Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
 This package contains the binary firmware for  various drivers in the
 Linux kernel.  This is a collection of firmware blobs which are not
 individually large enough to warrant a standalone package.
Newer Intel hardware requires this package, but I'm not sure about Bay Trail. Inxi says your graphics are working correctly.

It doesn't hurt to install it, though.

Your Atom is supposed to support va-api hardware video decoding in VLC and some other players, so you should try and set that up.

Install i965-va-driver and vainfo, then run vainfo in a terminal to make sure it's working. Then in VLC's Preferences/--Input/Codecs section, set Hardware Acceleration to automatic, save, and shut VLC down. Then try starting it in a terminal

vlc "video file name"
so it shows if there are any errors loading the va-api drivers.

Information on what type of video you're trying to play would help, too, such as the resolution and what codec they are encoded with, such h.264.

Im trying to open a 720p BrRip x264 mp4 file . When i launch it through VLC command i get : Your input cant be opened . VLC is unable to open the MRL FILE :myfile:

edit: when i choose to open the file with VLC the file runs ok , but the CPU goes 100% and the frame drops to 0

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

Use code boxes, and show exactly how you wrote and entered the comman, like this:

garry% vlc big_buck_bunny.mp4
VLC media player 2.2.8 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.7-14-g3cc1d8cba9)
[000011f1b74f4e50] core xml reader error: XML reader not found
[000011f18e069450] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[000011f1aa945350] qt4 interface error: Unable to load extensions module
[000011f1af63c650] xcb vout display error: shared memory server-side error: X11 error 10

Show the exact output, including any error messages.
Like this: (again)

garry% vlc "video file name"
[000014b086f57e50] core xml reader error: XML reader not found
[000014b0f786f050] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[000014b0d8a34250] qt4 interface error: Unable to load extensions module
[000014b0c5a06750] filesystem access error: cannot open file /home/garry/Videos/Videos/video file name (No such file or directory)
[000014b168d3d550] core input error: open of `file:///home/garry/Videos/Videos/video%20file%20name' failed
Or

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "/home/garry/Videos/Videos/video file name" (No such file or directory).
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///home/garry/Videos/Videos/video%20file%20name'. Check the log for details. 
When i launch it through VLC command i get : Your input cant be opened . VLC is unable to open the MRL FILE :myfile:
I find it hard to believe the filename is "myfile", if you don't use the filename, and have it typed correctly , the command will not work correctly.... use code boxes, and show some real output, please

Udaba

#16 Post by Udaba »

GarryRicketson wrote:Use code boxes, and show exactly how you wrote and entered the comman, like this:

garry% vlc big_buck_bunny.mp4
[000011f1b74f4e50] core xml reader error: XML reader not found
[000011f18e069450] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[000011f1aa945350] qt4 interface error: Unable to load extensions module
[000011f1af63c650] xcb vout display error: shared memory server-side error: X11 error 10

Show the exact output, including any error messages.
Like this: (again)

garry% vlc "video file name"
[000014b086f57e50] core xml reader error: XML reader not found
[000014b0f786f050] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[000014b0d8a34250] qt4 interface error: Unable to load extensions module
[000014b0c5a06750] filesystem access error: cannot open file /home/garry/Videos/Videos/video file name (No such file or directory)
[000014b168d3d550] core input error: open of `file:///home/garry/Videos/Videos/video%20file%20name' failed
Or

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "/home/garry/Videos/Videos/video file name" (No such file or directory).
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///home/garry/Videos/Videos/video%20file%20name'. Check the log for details. 
When i launch it through VLC command i get : Your input cant be opened . VLC is unable to open the MRL FILE :myfile:
I find it hard to believe the filename is "myfile", if you don't use the filename, and have it typed correctly , the command will not work correctly.... use code boxes, and show some real output, please
it wasnt a copy+paste ... i enter the file name correctly , one time with .mp4 at the end , one time without the .mp4 at the end , had the same error .

Wheelerof4te

#17 Post by Wheelerof4te »

If you are on GTK based desktop environment (GNOME, Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon), just install gnome-mpv and use that instead of VLC. It uses mpv backend and has more refined GUI than standard mpv program.

We can go around in circles trying to solve the problem, but people sometimes don't have enough time nor patience to do that.

Udaba

#18 Post by Udaba »

Wheelerof4te wrote:If you are on GTK based desktop environment (GNOME, Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon), just install gnome-mpv and use that instead of VLC. It uses mpv backend and has more refined GUI than standard mpv program.

We can go around in circles trying to solve the problem, but people sometimes don't have enough time nor patience to do that.
ok im gonna update you when i got home. really thank you .

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Your terminal has to be in the same directory as the video file. If you just open a terminal from the menu, it opens in your home folder by default, and the video file isn't there. You can drag and drop the video file from the file manager into the terminal, and it will put the whole path to the file in, so it will work. (unless you have some lame-o desktop that doesn't support that)

You can also get va-api acceleration working on mpv, this is what I have in the .config/mpv/mpv.conf file in my home folder:

profile=pseudo-gui
input-ipc-server=/tmp/mpvsocket 
hwdec=auto-copy

Though the third line is the magic one. The hardware acceleration works with SMPlayer using the mpv backend, but not with gnome-mpv for some reason.

I also have the latest versions of mpv and SMPlayer for Stretch and Jessie in my OBS repo: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574
MX Linux packager and developer

Udaba

#20 Post by Udaba »

well i tried gnome-mpv , its doing ok . the cpu is working on 15-20% but still with mpv i dont have all the options i have on vlc . is there any way to fix the vlc please?